• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Famitsu: Pokemon DP is 35/40

Aqua and Magma were as pathetic in the games as they were in the anime. For that, RS are the worst games in my book.

"Oh! Let's destroy all the water/earth in the world!!!11111 lololololzzzz!!!!1121"

Yeah, right, psychos...

I hope Team Galaxy does way better.

GSC is considered by almost all competitive battlers to be the absolute worst generation - UU was the saving grace, but in general most either prefer the quick, simplistic RBY or the deep, strategic Advance generation.

Aqua and Magma were as pathetic in the games as they were in the anime. For that, RS are the worst games in my book.

"Oh! Let's destroy all the water/earth in the world!!!11111 lololololzzzz!!!!1121"

Yeah, right, psychos...

I hope Team Galaxy does way better.

Team Rocket will beat all, no-matter how cack-handedly they're used. But whatever the evil team, at least R/S didn't completely and utterly break themselves by cramming a pointless second region in, thus rendering Johto as only mildly important, half developed and the vast majority of Johto Pokemon being completely and utterly ignored and overlooked.

The villains are a bonus if they're done well, but G/S/C had more to damage the game (including the horrendous reliance on Day/Night and Day of the week to a lesser extent WITHOUT the ability to change it for those not able to devote all day every day to it) than R/S ever did to itself with TA/TM.

I'm still holding out in support of GS.

-Pokémon games don't have much plot. What they do, is centered on the villain. While the villain of RB and GS weren,t too hot, they at least had the decency not to be entirely retarded. "We want to remove the water so there's more land to live in"? For crying out loud, even a five years old who has never gone to school would know that if this plan ever work, it means total extinction of every last living organism in the pokémon world.

Even the most demented, destructive Final Fantasy villains didn,t really come close to plans for that sort of xenocide.
Well, it's not like it wasn't exciting. I don't believe they wanted to drown all the water, but they couldn't control the legendaries and the stuff happened..

-Lack of stuff to do late-game. Unlike with RB or GS, getting the legendaries is pretty easy ; there is no second league (unlike GS), and the Sky Pillar doesn,t even *begin* to compare with either The Unknown Dungeon or the Whirl Islands.
I dunno, I found the legendaries a lot harder to get to in this game. We still had the tracker element like before in GS (which was a really annoying thing back then, although exciting), and we had the trio that was basically hidden (and if there wasn't guides for it most probably never would have been able to get them). Getting Rayquaza and the other ubers was easier, but I think it's a good thing. The way the game set it up it would be too many times harder than Ruby and Sapphire if they made them be caught like in Red and Blue. (That change was a good thing)

The Sky Pillar is a lot more annoying than both (to give them credit) but it is true that it's not a good place to train. To be honest, I didn't like any of those places, but I did find Sky Pillar interesting. If they were able to do something with it like add the ability to keep going really high to the top to where you could see the clouds in the sky and gave the area a back story (Why was Rayquaza here, for example?).
-Impossibility of completing the (non-secret) dex on release day. Until FRLG and Colosseum came out, you simply *could not* build a complete pokédex (excluding Mew, Celebii, etc) in RS. In GS and RB, you could - what was not in the game was in other, already available games.

I know several "competitive" battler also had complaints about some of the changes implemented in RS to the battle system.

Competitive battles always complain because they have to relearn things. Remember, they were already complaining about Diamond and Pearl. :p

I think if we were going to compare the games as a whole, Gen 3 is the best, however if we are comparing to what the systems can do, Gen 2 was the best. (Seriously I thought it was pretty amazing what they were able to fit in that tiny Gameboy color cart)
However, either way...
Seven Days~...

Team Galaxy seems to want to control Space and Time, basically Reality.

That, my friends, is one of the best evil villain plans ever.

The Regi were pretty easy to get without a guide ; an afternoon's work.

...and that was in the japanesse version, and I don't speak japanesse. The vast majority of that afternoon was spent asking for translations.

And I'm quite sure that was without a guide because there was no english guide at the time ; it was within the week of RS coming out.

for a the regis a guide=translation. :p The point is figuring out on your own that you need a Relicant and a Wailord in the right positions, dig, and locations of the caves.

Bell, I needed a translation *from the japanesse*.

I had already translated it all from japanesse brail to normal japanesse. If it had been an english game, I'd have needed no translation at all.

So much GSC hating... you've all made Neku's pet Sneasel cry.

I still think GSC was the best generation (note the "was"- from the videos I've seen, D/P will be even better). Simply put, the clock feature added a whole new level to the game- I still remember waking up early in eighth grade (when I got my GBA, finally) just so I could go and buy cheap stuff at the Underground Shops in Goldenrod. The clock actually created the impression of a living, breathing world, where things actually HAPPENED, in my Game Boy. Add the radio, with its own stations and shows on different days, the boat schedules, and other time specific goodies, and GSC may not have been the best for the battle freaks, but for those looking for a deep RPG, it was perfect.

And TR>TM/TA/and probably TG. I just appreciate some villains that AREN'T science fiction cliches with dumb motives. Everyone can appreciate a corrupt businessman, right? I mean, considering this country is full of them anymore...

Eh, I watch shows wheir bad guys try to take over the world through collectible card games...

So, like, TA and TM were like Nazis to me.

Eh, I watch shows wheir bad guys try to take over the world through collectible card games...

So, like, TA and TM were like Nazis to me.

Damn, there should be a GX episode in which Judai travels through time and Hitler plays in a shadow game with him trying to conquer the world with it ^^

I guess the 35/40 is solid and good enough.

Although..I don´t trust a magazine which gave Nintendogs or Windwaker 40/40 o_O 39/40 for kindgom hearts 2 seems also biased to me.

I wonder how DP will score here when it is released.

Well, Gaming Magazines (bar Nintendo) are biased..

However, the WiFi will definately raise it up by 2 points or so.

Diamond and pearl looks cool and it would be my only reason to buy a DS. Of the GB/GBA generation I have to say Red blue and Gold and silver were the best, I considered them much dificult to beat, Emerald for me went off to quick, I loved the new Kanto and how everything had continuity to the red and blue era. Red and blue had it's darky moment, TR killing Cubone's mother..

The other Pokemon RPG I been enjoyin a lot is Mystery dungeon, it's dificult and cute at the same time.

I've noticed how a lot of you guys are saying that R/S or FR/LG is you're favorite but personally i like FR the most because it has the added in run feature which makes things a lot quicker before you can get your bike. Also I did see your point in how GSC made the jhoto pokemon go unnoticed because it had Kanto in it and also it had almost all of the Kanto Pokemon, and the ones that you couldn't get in the game you could trade using the time capsule. So instead of thinking at the time wow my Lugia is amazing they were thinking WOW my Mewtwo that I transferred over to the game is really amazing! and lugia would get no credit =[ As you can see they have now made us see the error of our ways by making all of the Johto Pokemon realy hard to catch. I mean i could pop in my FR start it up get a Charmander, catch 6 other useless pokemon and then transferr them to my Pearl. I could pop in my RBY grab a Treeko and then transfer it. But I cant just pop in some random game and transfer a Cyndaquil. Also I don't have Colliseum so i had to have my friend breed his 3 Johto starters and give them to me. But to save my self from going on and on im just going to say that. Nintendo has noticed that they accidently made the Johto pokemon go unnoticed and it was in their Generation also for crying out loud! So now they have made it very hard to catch a Johto Pokemon so when people new to the pokemon series see a Qwilfish they are like ooh what is this random pokemon I must catch it! And now that they have made lugia and ho-oh "almost"impossible to get everyone wants one. I mean think about it.

Please note: The thread is from 15 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom