• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

[Fan-Theory] A way to credite MissingNo. as official...

xrick

Reaction score
Hi everyone.
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this... If not, I'd like to be pointed to the right place. Thanks in advance. Anyway...

The other day, all of a sudden, an idea crossed my mind...
Many of us and GF treat MissingNo. as a "Glitch Pokémon"... But what if a certain Virtual Pokémon were to have a connection to it?
Here's the bulk of my inicial idea:

#000 MissingNo.

Glitch Pokémon

Among several Porygon created to be sold at the Celadon Game Corner, a few would be deemed as defectives and marked for deletion.
One of those defectives, aflicted by a programming bug, got glitched to the point of being incapable of having a fixed shape, cry or moveset...
In it's confusion, it somehow escaped into the wild and ended up on Cinnabar Island's Pokémon Mansion, the perfect place for hiding.
Seeing many Pokémon along the way, the glitchy Porygon would try to fix it's shape by mimicking other Pokémon's shape, akin to Ditto's Transform move.
Meanwhile, after having been noticed that one of the defective Porygon had gone missing, it started being referred as "Missing Number" or "MissingNo."...

So? What do you think of this? Care to share your opinion?

Last edited:
I think people tend to take the whole "glitch" thing a bit too literally. Allow me to offer my own theory....

The Time Capsule does not make an appearance in HeartGold and SoulSilver. Why is this? My theory is that they take place in a timeline where the Capsule project was scrapped due to a serious fault. For whatever reason, the prototype didn't play nicely with Johto-native Pokémon, sending them off through spacetime....and retrieving something else entirely.

These bizarre entities are extradimensional Pokémon, possessing powers that don't obey our dimension's scientific laws. Generally unable to properly manifest, they appear formless and can have devastating effects on anything they come into contact with. They are classified as Pokémon because, strangely enough, they can be contained in Poké Balls. Regardless, researchers refuse to list them in the Pokédex—one might consider them a missing number of Pokémon.

Attempts to give the specimens proper names proved futile, as their very presence corrupted most of the data from the experiments, resulting in glitchy, unpronounceable designations.

Every now and then, a spacetime disruption opens naturally, allowing these creatures into our world without any human intervention. One such disruption tends to open frequently on the coast of Cinnabar. The reason for this is unknown; possibly rogue signals raging through Dialga and Palkia's brains as they sleep.

Some took to calling them "glitch Pokémon" because they were discovered through a glitch in the Time Capsule, and because other electronic devices tend to malfunction in their midst.

There is a parallel timeline (that of the original Gold, Silver and Crystal) where the Capsule was made commercially available, but Johto-native Pokémon were barred from being sent through precisely because of this bug.

Hmm... Not bad, that theory of yours...
MissingNo. could also be attainable in Gen2 without cheating, right?

If that's so, then that theory of yours could also be doable...

Last edited:
Throughout Gen 5, there were times when I stated with friends that there were 650 Pokemon and not 649 because I would always count MissingNo as the 650th Pokemon, and now as of Gen 6 I say 719 instead of 718 because of MissingNo.

My theory on MissingNo is that he's essentially an anomaly in space-time, similar to a black hole in space, and when Mewtwo escaped after his creation, he used his psychic abilities to essentially create a rift to go somewhere else, and he went through not another dimension, but an invisible realm in the normal dimension that we cannot see, which Missingno came out of. With all the bizzare things in the Pokemon world, it's definitely possible. Sometime between Gen 1 and 2, the rift was closed up, possibly either naturally or by a force in the visible world such as a trainer or a legendary Pokemon, and MissingNo was never seen again.

Now that I think about it... In Gen1's time, they seemed to have aknowledged MissingNo.'s existence...
In the japanese version, they gave it a Pokédex entry of "Comment to be written", 3'03'' (1m) of Height and 22.1lbs (10kg) of Weight.
Also, on Stadium 1&2, they gave it a Substitute Doll and a Ditto as forms, as to allow it to be used in the game...

Now that I think about it... In Gen1's time, they seemed to have aknowledged MissingNo.'s existence...
In the japanese version, they gave it a Pokédex entry of "Comment to be written", 3'03'' (1m) of Height and 22.1lbs (10kg) of Weight.
Also, on Stadium 1&2, they gave it a Substitute Doll and a Ditto as forms, as to allow it to be used in the game...

Or they gave Missingno. a form in the game so it doesn't crash the game... unless it crashes.

Or they gave Missingno. a form in the game so it doesn't crash the game... unless it crashes.
Yeah... That too...

I think it's long overdue of Nintendo to acknowledge Missingno as an actual event.

I was really hoping in Origins that it would appear. They took so much effort to try and make the experience as similar to the original players as possible, like featuring that tough decision of bait or rock/mud on Chansey and lots of other quirks that we all went through and included, I thought it would be a funny homage to have maybe just a 5 second cameo of Missingno, there are a few montages, they could have one where Red is surfing on Lapras and sees Missingno (weird L shape data thingy) rubs his eye and its gone, suddenly an item we saw him only have one of suddenly he has loads falling into the ocean, and thats it, all the mention they needed to give it.

Now they failed that, I think they could at least have a character mention that in his home region, he met a weird Pokemon like no other near Cinabar Seafoam, and he suddenly had more items etc, he always looked for it in the Pokedex, but it was missing, there was no number,

THey just need to make it canon that it happened!

Nah! Not that kind of thing... That was a real programming quirk, it wouldn't sit well to be animated or whatever...
I think only MissingNo. itself needed to be referrenced...

True enough, you're about it...
It's just that MissingNo., in the Classics' time, gained quite the interest and recognition of fans, even coming up with tons of possible stories for it's existence...

The intent of this topic may not be new, but since I never had the chance to take part in those story-makings about it, I thought I could try my luck now...

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom