• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

DISCUSSION: Fanfiction in the style of a Pokémon movie

techadon

Reaction score
I have this idea for a fanfiction that like the title mentions, is written as if it were a movie for the Pokémon anime. Here are some details regarding it:

The fic takes place during the Ruby and Sapphire saga of the anime, when Ash and his friends are competing in the Hoenn League. It revolves around our heroes travelling to a city of major cultural importance to the region. Ash in particular wants to compete in a Pokémon tournament that it holds annually. But as they are enjoying themselves, a ruthless crime lord seeks to possess a relic that supposedly gives the user total power over all Pokémon. Now it's up to Ash, May, Max and Brock to stop him from achieving his nefarious goals.

The story will be thematically similar to movies like The Secret of NIMH and The Dark Crystal.

The villain is named after Sherudo Garo, the main antagonist of the first Time Crisis game. Other villains he is inspired by include Bill Sykes from Oliver & Company, Judge Claude Frollo from The Hunchback of Notre Dame, and Frieza from the Dragon Ball franchise.

Because of the movies it draws its themes from, the story will be quite dark. It would tackle serious topics, have some frightening moments, and Ash and all his friends coming dangerously close to dying at some point. Sherudo would also be portrayed as a completely intimidating and monstrous villain. Whenever he appears the mood darkens instantly. Not even Team Rocket would be able to bring light back into the room with their goofy antics.

And speaking of Team Rocket, the titular trio would be coerced into working for Sherudo. And just like with the Iron-Masked Marauder, they would be horrified by the depravity of his actions. But in this case, it would convince them to form a temporary alliance with Ash and his friends to stop the madman.

What are your thoughts? I'd like to hear feedback on how to make this story work.

Last edited:
Some more details would need to be thought out but we've got something to build upon here. That opening sounds very similar to Lucario and the Mystery of Mew but it's a good opener. Most Pokemon movies have an opening where Ash battles some people to ease people into the movie, even when things turn dark later. I like that set up, it gives both light and dark to make both have meaning.

So we got a legendary relic of some kind but do we have a legendary or other kind of special Pokemon accompanying Ash + Co on this quest? Or in the absence of that, do we have a human character that accompanies the group? And if so, what is their stake in the plot?

Segmenting the fic into digestible bytes definitely needs to happen, laying out the whole script in one go would be suffocating to say the least. Perhaps you can segment the chapters like how a DVD breaks a movie down into parts for easy scene finding.

Btw, you got good taste in your basis' for Garo. Have you watched Oliver and Company or Hunchback recently? I find that keeping a character's basis fresh in your mind to be very helpful in characterizing them.

Some more details would need to be thought out but we've got something to build upon here. That opening sounds very similar to Lucario and the Mystery of Mew but it's a good opener. Most Pokemon movies have an opening where Ash battles some people to ease people into the movie, even when things turn dark later. I like that set up, it gives both light and dark to make both have meaning.

So we got a legendary relic of some kind but do we have a legendary or other kind of special Pokemon accompanying Ash + Co on this quest? Or in the absence of that, do we have a human character that accompanies the group? And if so, what is their stake in the plot?

Segmenting the fic into digestible bytes definitely needs to happen, laying out the whole script in one go would be suffocating to say the least. Perhaps you can segment the chapters like how a DVD breaks a movie down into parts for easy scene finding.

Btw, you got good taste in your basis' for Garo. Have you watched Oliver and Company or Hunchback recently? I find that keeping a character's basis fresh in your mind to be very helpful in characterizing them.
Perhaps Latios and Latias since they're technically Gen III Legendaries? I can see them being connected to the sacred land where the relic is located. We could also include a human character that has a relationship with Latios and Latias.

Sounds like a good idea. Could enhance the feeling of watching a movie.

Oh yes. Sykes and Frollo were  terrifying presences in their respective movies, and I want Sherudo to be something like that. He will have no comedic qualities, no hidden depths, just the traits of a ruthless criminal played completely straight. The only remotely humorous parts I can see involving Sherudo is when he's mistreating Team Rocket. (Mostly their expressions from the pain he's inflicting on them) And even then, it doesn't detract from his viciousness since he's on the delivering end of the joke.

Regarding the fanfic's dark content, all the scenes where Ash and company almost die are connected to Sherudo. With the most gut-wrenching one involving Max. It would have our heroes foiling Team Rocket once more, and just when all seems well, Max is suddenly hit by a deadly Poison-type attack from one of Sherudo's Pokémon. Everyone including the trio watches in utter horror as he falls to the ground unconscious. As May rushes over to her fallen brother and begs him to wake up, Sherudo just laughs maniacally.

Not what you probably mean by this, and your concept is cool, but don’t you think getting your fics animated officially would be really cool?
Definitely. Not to mention incredibly flattering.

Perhaps Latios and Latias since they're technically Gen III Legendaries? I can see them being connected to the sacred land where the relic is located. We could also include a human character that has a relationship with Latios and Latias.
Any particular reason for the Lati duo? If you do go with them would you consider a continuity nod and have Ash remember what happened in the Lati movie? If memory serves, it should have happened before Ash went to Hoenn. Maybe the remembrance of certain events in that movie could weigh on Ash's (and Brock's) minds to add to the darker nature of your story.

With the most gut-wrenching one involving Max. It would have our heroes foiling Team Rocket once more, and just when all seems well, Max is suddenly hit by a deadly Poison-type attack from one of Sherudo's Pokémon.
Toxic? The increasingly deadly nature of the move could also highlight how evil and sadistic Sherudo can be. And as an added bonus you don't have to pay much attention to who can learn it since almost every mon can and I doubt you're gonna make Sherudo run around with Magikarp or Caterpie given his threat level :LOL:.

Any particular reason for the Lati duo? If you do go with them would you consider a continuity nod and have Ash remember what happened in the Lati movie? If memory serves, it should have happened before Ash went to Hoenn. Maybe the remembrance of certain events in that movie could weigh on Ash's (and Brock's) minds to add to the darker nature of your story.

Toxic? The increasingly deadly nature of the move could also highlight how evil and sadistic Sherudo can be. And as an added bonus you don't have to pay much attention to who can learn it since almost every mon can and I doubt you're gonna make Sherudo run around with Magikarp or Caterpie given his threat level :LOL:.
Well, they're technically Gen III Pokemon like I said, so I think it's only fitting they would appear in a movie in Hoenn. And yeah, I can see Latios' death from Heroes complimenting the darker tone of this story. Ash remembering it would make him extra determined to protect this other Latios. Upon witnessing Sherudo inflicting a major injury on it, Ash would EXPLODE with anger.

Toxic would definitely be a fitting move for Sherudo to use on Max given his sadistic nature. And speaking of sadistic, this would be his face as May desperately tells Max to get up:

ganon_laugh[1].png

Sherudo's Pokemon would I think consist of Mightyena, Misdreavus, and Metagross.

In fact, it's Sherudo nearly killing Max that convinces Team Rocket to team up with Ash and company. After the crime boss dumps them thinking they're no longer of any use to him, the trio encounters the heroes in a cave desperately trying to heal Max, but are unable to due to the severity of his poisoning and Brock being strapped of supplies. Upon seeing May sobbing uncontrollably over her dying brother, they are utterly heartbroken. Stating while Ash and his friends may be "twerps", they would never wish a fate that horrible upon them. Meowth then remembers he picked up a Pecha Berry during their travels and decides to give it to Ash and his friends. Allowing them to cure Max's poisoning.

If you're wondering where the idea of a relic that gives absolute control over Pokemon comes from, it's from the Testament of Solomon. Where the titular king is entrusted a magic ring by the angel Michael and is able to command demons through it. He uses it to force the demons to build the Temple of Jerusalem.

You know what I think should happen? Sherudo DYING in the end. Not going to prison like Grings Kodai or Dr. Zed, just straight up dying. (Thinking it should be something like Sykes' death) Especially since he's a totally monstrous villain with no redeeming qualities. And there shouldn't be some ambiguity on whether or not he's dead like with Hunter J, he's definitely, unambiguously dead.

Misdreavus! And yes, I think the idea of max nearly dying give shin some sort of plot relevance thats actually important for once (and I like that) it would be a big growing point for may too, and showcases just how evil Sherudo (who is this? I’m sorry but I’m lost) really is

Misdreavus! And yes, I think the idea of max nearly dying give shin some sort of plot relevance thats actually important for once (and I like that) it would be a big growing point for may too, and showcases just how evil Sherudo (who is this? I’m sorry but I’m lost) really is
Sherudo Garo is the main villain of the story. He's a vicious criminal who desires a relic that will give him absolute control over all Pokémon. He's also meant to be a terrifying and intimidating antagonist in the vein of guys like Claude Frollo from Disney's Hunchback of Notre Dame.

Well, they're technically Gen III Pokemon like I said, so I think it's only fitting they would appear in a movie in Hoenn. And yeah, I can see Latios' death from Heroes complimenting the darker tone of this story. Ash remembering it would make him extra determined to protect this other Latios. Upon witnessing Sherudo inflicting a major injury on it, Ash would EXPLODE with anger.
You know what? Given that you are using Max as the designated victim for the Moral Event Horizon you could add yet another twist to this. Remember that it was specifically Latios from movie 5 died right? And Sherudo is going to inflict a major injury on another Latios correct? Well, look at things this way. We've got here 2 pairs of siblings that are a brother+sister pair, one of them reminds Ash of a previous pair that had tragedy fall upon them and now we not only have another Lati duo that brings back painful memories, we also now have the 2 current sibling pairs have a major injury dealt to the brothers in the respective pairs. You are following where I'm going with this right?

Last edited:
You know what? Given that you are using Max as the designated victim for the Moral Event Horizon you could add yet another twist to this. Remember that it was specifically Latios from movie 5 died right? And Sherudo is going to inflict a major injury on another Latios correct? Well, look at things this way. We've got here 2 pairs of siblings that are a brother+sister pair, one of them reminds Ash of a previous pair that had tragedy fall upon them and now we not only have another Lati duo that brings back painful memories, we also now have the 2 current sibling pairs have a major injury dealt to the brothers in the respective pairs. You are following where I'm going with this right?
Yep. It's bad enough that Ash is struck with the possibility of having to witness Latios die all over again, but one of his own friends is at risk of dying as well. All thanks to some asshole who gets off on causing pain.
I can also see this adding depth to May. Like when Sherudo mocks her grief over Max being fatally struck, she becomes savagely enraged and charges towards him, only for Ash and Brock to restrain her. With the latter telling May that revenge isn't going to help her brother.

Still trying to think of what kind of topics this should deal with for the darker tone. Can you give some fitting examples?

Yep. It's bad enough that Ash is struck with the possibility of having to witness Latios die all over again, but one of his own friends is at risk of dying as well. All thanks to some asshole who gets off on causing pain.
Yes, but what I was getting at was how May+Max is like Latias+Latios. Two pairs of siblings who run parallel to each other in the story with the brothers being severely injured by the same guy. For Ash and Brock it would be worse than just seeing Latios die again it would be like seeing Latios dying again twice with how similar the situation is.

Still trying to think of what kind of topics this should deal with for the darker tone. Can you give some fitting examples?
I'm not sure, depends on what kind of story you're trying to write. I myself am working on something that has trauma and how people respond to it as an underlying theme.

Yes, but what I was getting at was how May+Max is like Latias+Latios. Two pairs of siblings who run parallel to each other in the story with the brothers being severely injured by the same guy. For Ash and Brock it would be worse than just seeing Latios die again it would be like seeing Latios dying again twice with how similar the situation is.
True.

Just imagine how tense/emotional the whole scenario would be, both Ash and Brock reliving memories of Latios' death and Sherudo nearly killing Max.

True.

Just imagine how tense/emotional the whole scenario would be, both Ash and Brock reliving memories of Latios' death and Sherudo nearly killing Max.
I feel like May would be more traumatized by Max almost getting killed, then Ash and Brock would be in the same situation. Ash and Brock would most certainly be quite angry about it.

I feel like May would be more traumatized by Max almost getting killed, then Ash and Brock would be in the same situation. Ash and Brock would most certainly be quite angry about it.
Oh definitely. And like I said earlier, May would be furious upon hearing Sherudo's evil laughter and run towards the mobster in a blind rage, only for Brock to stop her. Ash would enter a state of tranquil fury as he vows to bring Sherudo to justice.

As our heroes are tending to a terminally ill Max, we'd get this exchange:

May: [bristling with anger] YOU'LL PAY FOR THIS, SHERUDO!!!
[May slams her fist against a wall, startling everyone. Brock then pushes her against it.]
Brock: May, listen! You think I don't know what it's like to have someone you care about...hurt? Revenge will not help your brother. You need to keep your emotions under control.

Back
Top Bottom