• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Fansites served with copyright infringement notices: PokéBeach, Serebii targeted, mor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Fansites served with copyright infringement notices: PokéBeach, Serebii targeted,

The article has not been updated because I have yet to receive a reply. Seeing how the issue is currently not affecting Bulbagarden, it would be unlikely for the lawyer to call me back anyway.

I would instead have contacted them as a regular person, waited for a reply and then inquired into the fiasco here. Then we could have known if they even existed as a real Law Firm.

But, do as you will then. The whole thing just seems fishy to me.

Re: Fansites served with copyright infringement notices: PokéBeach, Serebii targeted,

I would instead have contacted them as a regular person, waited for a reply and then inquired into the fiasco here. Then we could have known if they even existed as a real Law Firm.

It's been confirmed the named firm exists, and that one of its clients is Nintendo. That much info is freely available on the internet.

They posted shit that was leaked by Melkor. Done.

ROM use to obtain the images seems also likely to me.

ROM use to obtain the images seems also likely to me.

Again, something Bulbagarden doesn't do. We're safe, if this is real.

But, do as you will then. The whole thing just seems fishy to me.

They are a real law firm. And as a real law firm, they wouldn't give case information out to just anyone who calls and asks.

Since it seems that this isn't going to affect Bulbapedia/Bulbagarden, then why don't we just forget about it?

Since it seems that this isn't going to affect Bulbapedia/Bulbagarden, then why don't we just forget about it?

Because the majority of us still rely on other Pokemon websites for information, and we're not entirely 100% safe either.

Because the majority of us still rely on other Pokemon websites for information, and we're not entirely 100% safe either.

I don't rely on any other websites, and to be honest, what is panicking in a thread on these forums going to do to change anything? I understand everybody's concern (as I was concerned a few hours ago), but panicking in a thread is just going to stir up an even bigger fiasco (if there even is a fiasco to begin with).

I don't rely on any other websites, and to be honest, what is panicking in a thread on these forums going to do to change anything? I understand everybody's concern (as I was concerned a few hours ago), but panicking in a thread is just going to stir up an even bigger fiasco (if there even is a fiasco to begin with).

Because we're all scared and we like being scared together. If you don't you don't have to be scared with us.

It's been confirmed the named firm exists, and that one of its clients is Nintendo. That much info is freely available on the internet.

I don't see any mention of the name of the Firm anywhere in BulbaNews' article.

They are a real law firm. And as a real law firm, they wouldn't give case information out to just anyone who calls and asks.

If what Megatron says is so freely available on the internet, then it shouldn't be hard to fake something either, should it?

Well, this certainly helps me to not completely spoil the game for myself. Now I can only read the text on Serebii! I tell you, I must be an optimist for thinking that.

I don't see any mention of the name of the Firm anywhere in BulbaNews' article.
Because if WPM/Serebii or anyone whose has the actual letter were to actually release that info publicly, it's practically guaranteeable that at least some members would feel a need to "confirm this for themselves" and call/e-mail them. Obviously, it would be problematic if random people started bugging a law firm over a case that doesn't concern them, which is why none of the webmasters or anyone that has it has posted it: there's a risk of people being stupid with it, which would just make it more of a headache for the parties actually involved, so they're keeping it confidential.

I for one at least trust WPM, Archaic, and Serebii enough that if this apparently checks out according to them (and really, there's no reason people like Joe would actually take and leave down their images if they didn't get it checked out), then it probably is.

If what Megatron says is so freely available on the internet, then it shouldn't be hard to fake something either, should it?
Except, not so much. From what I've gathered, though I don't believe any of them have exactly directly said this, it would seem that the law firm's phone number is on their web site (or if not their web site, it's still findable, verifiable information that that phone number is that of the law firm). WPM called this number, in addition to the lawyer's cell phone number given in the letter, and it was the same person. Since this number was on an actual, established law firm's web site that does represent Nintendo and WPM got did get in contact with the guy who sent him the letter through that number, it seems pretty hard to fake to me.

I'm going to close this thread now. It's all in the hands of the webmasters who the incident is related to, and the speculation and worry certainly isn't helping anyone. We'll keep you updated should the incident escalate, but as of now, Serebii's and most of WPM's Black and White images are gone and that's what they asked for. Bulbagarden has very little to do with this as far as the DMCA notices are concerned.

For the latest news, keep checking Serebii.net, PokeBeach and give the Bulbanews article the occasional refresh.

I'd just like to answer one post in here quickly, to confirm some info.

Because if WPM/Serebii or anyone whose has the actual letter were to actually release that info publicly, it's practically guaranteeable that at least some members would feel a need to "confirm this for themselves" and call/e-mail them. Obviously, it would be problematic if random people started bugging a law firm over a case that doesn't concern them, which is why none of the webmasters or anyone that has it has posted it: there's a risk of people being stupid with it, which would just make it more of a headache for the parties actually involved, so they're keeping it confidential.
This is 100% correct.

Except, not so much. From what I've gathered, though I don't believe any of them have exactly directly said this, it would seem that the law firm's phone number is on their web site (or if not their web site, it's still findable, verifiable information that that phone number is that of the law firm). WPM called this number, in addition to the lawyer's cell phone number given in the letter, and it was the same person. Since this number was on an actual, established law firm's web site that does represent Nintendo and WPM got did get in contact with the guy who sent him the letter through that number, it seems pretty hard to fake to me.
This is also 100% correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom