• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Fansites served with copyright infringement notices: PokéBeach, Serebii targeted, mor

Status
Not open for further replies.

BulbaBot

Dreams of electric Bulbasaur
Reaction score
Fansites served with copyright infringement notices: PokéBeach, Serebii targeted, more ...

Copyright infringement notices have been received by webmasters of several popular Pokémon fansites, in regards to content relating to Pokémon Black and White versions.

Read more on Bulbanews

Re: Fansites served with copyright infringement notices: PokéBeach, Serebii targeted,

Long story short.

Don't panic. Bulba hasn't received any notices as of yet. Remain calm. More news will be forthcoming if anything happens.

Re: Fansites served with copyright infringement notices: PokéBeach, Serebii targeted,

Letter looks pretty bogus to me. Especially the candid language, cease and desists are generally a bit more blunt.

Your activity also and has the potential to cause substantial damage to Nintendo, and leaves Nintendo with no choice but to take steps to protect its intellectual property rights.

AKA vocal minorities, you know, because they so made DP's sales worse right? Oh wait.

Here's something System Error posted on my blog with regards to this news:

System Error;bt92494 said:
Found something. With the games having been released, Nintendo pretty much has no legal grounds to ask for their removal, except maybe with the sprites.

The purpose and character of the use: Reproduction for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship or research is not copyright infringement. This probably covers most blogs and personal websites, but there are other factors to consider

I don't see what grounds they have on this claim. That and the fact that Nintendo must be aware of Wikia sites which are for-profit, and one would think they would go after them. Pretty ironic if Bulbapedia goes down and the for-profit Wikia reigns supreme due to Nintendo blunders.

Last edited:

This sounds like a sick joke.

Maybe I'll show my mom, as she's a paralegal.

I think it's bullshit.

Even though Nintendo had a right to do this, they probably shouldn't have.
I mean, it's making everyone want to buy the game.

I wake up at 9AM and go to pokebeach, this is what I see!

Serebii isn't under jurisdiction of NoA, he lives in Britain. :/

Obvious bullshit.

Serebii isn't under jurisdiction of NoA, he lives in Britain. :/

Obvious bullshit.

His servers are in the US, so his site most certainly is. The notice he received, which I've seen, make several additional statements beyond the one which WPM got (which was printed in the article), bringing up UK specific info.

This doesn't make any sense to me honestly.

Well, if Nintendo wants the stuff down, you gotta do it.

No use fighting Nintendo.

Raises the question as to why they want images removed of a game that's already released, but whatever.

I thought these messages of copyright infringement were already confirmed to be faked by 2ch trolls.

Also I thought since the games were released it would be ok to show of information relating to the games.

What gets me is why NOW? I mean, why not during HG/SS's release? Why not during D/P/Pt's release?

Thanks a lot for doing this Archiac, I knew you were smart enough to come through for us.

I thought these messages of copyright infringement were already confirmed to be faked by 2ch trolls.

Also I thought since the games were released it would be ok to show of information relating to the games.
Was it? Well its better to err on the side of caution, and actually look into this.

What else seems suspicious is that you'd think that they have bigger problems on their hands considering that there's a person who leaked all this information to the point that it makes it seem like the info leak was intentional (since I doubt someone would give all that information away and risk their jobs). Why attack the sites?

I think Ambi Pom Pom pretty much covered everything completely illegitimate about the email. If I received that from a lawyer I'd probably warn him to go back to law school..

Serebii getting a letter doesn't make it confirmed as real so much as "confirmed that Serebii got a letter"

Ambi Pom Pom provides a more substantial argument on this being a hoax than a post saying "I got a letter too" does to prove its legitimate. Serebii taking the sprites down is probably just being cautious until this whole thing is sorted out.

No use fighting Nintendo.

That's usually what corporations rely on. Even when things are fair use, merely receiving a C&D letter is usually enough intimidation to cause most people to comply without any further action being needed.

If this is real, personally I hope it's only a short-term enforcement... perhaps Nintendo is more sensitive to this during such a major release as B&W's. Though if that's the case, it begs the question "why now?" instead of during Platinum's release, or the release of Hg/Ss?

I do recall reading an interview with one of the higher-ups at Nintendo who indicated that while they obviously can't endorse fansites and the like, his opinion was that "provided the IP was treated respectfully" (meaning basically that the site not contribute to garnering a negative image of Nintendo's IP), he really didn't think Nintendo would tend to act against them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom