• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Fansites served with copyright infringement notices: PokéBeach, Serebii targeted, mor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Fansites served with copyright infringement notices: PokéBeach, Serebii targeted,

Can't someone contact Nintendo and ask them if it's really them and if they have problems with people posting screenshots? If it's not them, nothing to worry about; if it is, the webmasters can work something out with them.

Re: Fansites served with copyright infringement notices: PokéBeach, Serebii targeted,

How do we know for sure it's fake short of asking Nintendo directly though?

If it is real, it's pretty stupid. "Please stop advertising us for free or we will be forced to shut you down."

I do recall reading an interview with one of the higher-ups at Nintendo who indicated that while they obviously can't endorse fansites and the like, his opinion was that "provided the IP was treated respectfully" (meaning basically that the site not contribute to garnering a negative image of Nintendo's IP), he really didn't think Nintendo would tend to act against them.
So basically the forum aspect then :p

Not like they can do anything about individual fan opinion.

I find it curious there's been no reports on Japanese-speaking fansites being targetted too. I appreciate that this is a letter apparantly from Nintendo of America, but surely it's the complete same system with Japanese-speaking fansites infringing the same copyright. Plus, I would've thought they'd of been targetted first before PokeBeach...

You know, if this was indeed real, wouldn't Nintendo go on a mass takedown on youtube by deleting all Pokemon Black/White videos?

Can't someone contact Nintendo and ask them if it's really them and if they have problems with people posting screenshots? If it's not them, nothing to worry about; if it is, the webmasters can work something out with them.
That would seem like a decent course of action until you actually think "who in their right mind would discuss legal issues that are not yet resolved?" It's sort of like the rule a lot of places have where they're unable to talk about actions taken against accounts. It's really nobody's business but theirs and the person who was actioned against.

Nintendo won't speak a word unless it's to a judge or an immensely respected journalist.

What else seems suspicious is that you'd think that they have bigger problems on their hands considering that there's a person who leaked all this information to the point that it makes it seem like the info leak was intentional (since I doubt someone would give all that information away and risk their jobs). Why attack the sites?

It's worth noting here....it was actually brought to my attention yesterday after I talked about Melkor trying to cheat in our contest that he's actually an employee of Nintendo Acción, the Official Nintendo Magazine in Spain. He apparently writes their Pokémon columns, and I'm told has even interviewed the guys from Japan before. Now that I know this, the leak makes a lot more sense. Still a fucking huge breach of journalistic ethics. I wonder if he'll lose his job.

Assuming it's real: It didn't work with Potterwar and it won't work now.

Assuming it's fake: Way to ruin everyone's release day

I apologize in advance if I may sound ignorant, asinine, or whatever other choice of words you may have.

I can't believe this. Given the popularity of the games, something like this was bound to happen.

I haven't the slightest knowledge of legal issues (not my field of study), but Ambipompom's response does make enough sense. Twenty-four hours is a rather rushed time frame.

Serebii's been up since, when, 1999? Has he had any problems with Nintendo before? And if you (referring to this site) get one of these allegedly forged letters, what will be your action?

Nintendo won't speak a word unless it's to a judge or an immensely respected journalist.

Well, then we need to find one who's a pokemon fan. lol

Regardless of whether it turns out to be real or not (I doubt anyone would want to fake it - it's a serious offence to do so), I took the decision to remove all Black/White related images from pokémonworld.co.uk's news; others to most likely follow.

It's worth noting here....it was actually brought to my attention yesterday after I talked about Melkor trying to cheat in our contest that he's actually an employee of Nintendo Acción, the Official Nintendo Magazine in Spain. He apparently writes their Pokémon columns, and I'm told has even interviewed the guys from Japan before. Now that I know this, the leak makes a lot more sense. Still a fucking huge breach of journalistic ethics. I wonder if he'll lose his job.
That's what made him leaking the stuff so stupid...if they were real, obviously he'd be in danger of losing his job. For example, all the British media knew who the Stig in Top Gear was, but never reported on it. It was only when the guy wrote an Autobiography that it came out and he was sacked...yes, it happened a second time. And if it was fake, it'd be fandom suicide.

Found the article, anyway:

http://kotaku.com/5585802/nintendo-doesnt-want-to-criminalize-obsessed-fans

Took a while, as I had absolutely no idea where I'd been linked to it from before, or what site it was on.

Don't diminish the dignity of the characters? I can think of other places they'd go to first...

Not wanting to point fingers, but may as well say what's on my mind. Sounds like there's motive right there :/

The action, the discovery, the timing of these letters....

What I find odd is that this is actually the first time I heard Nintendo did something like this. The only other time I heard about Nintendo sending a C&D was for some fan-hack for Brawl that gave you modified skins. You think that Nintendo would have done something like this for a certain game getting a certain fan-translation that was well known among the gaming industry, but as far as I know, they did nothing about it. But doing it now is pretty interesting.

As for cohen taking a pic from my photobucket, I mostly took them for prosperity sakes, in case this turns out to be true or not.

I agree with Outrage, this all seems suspicious and the letter sounds like it came from someone who has little clue of the English language.

I think we have a trololo incident.

A question for those who are saying the letters are fake...

If they are fake, then why did the Pokebeach webmaster say he called the lawyer involved?

If they are fake, then why did the Pokebeach webmaster say he called the lawyer involved?

If the letters are real why is it that WPM has all the sprites still up on his site?

Did you know in the Jessie Slaughter incident a 4chan member called her house and impersonated a police officer?

People do this stuff all the time.

I assume Pokebeach isn't the one who possibly faked these, so why wouldn't he want to be safe?

I really doubt Pokebeach is the one who faked these, as the last three posts are implying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom