• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Favorite Animation Director

christinesmith

Reaction score
My favorite has to be Akihiro Tamagawa. I like the style of the episodes he directs are animated. =)

For example:

Black and White Ep 20 - Dancing With The Ducklett Trio.

Someone said a while back that our bae Tamagawa was on long-term sick leave :-(

Akihiro Tamagawa. His style is so sharp and frenetic and a joy to watch. I hope he gets better if his health rumors are true. :(

Iwane is a close second. Very fluid and dynamic. Considering how often he animates for the show, I wonder if he only animates for the franchise now. He seems to be a huge fan of Pokémon considering he makes plastic models and fan animations for fun. :)

Tamagawa and Iwane. Nuff said.
Makes everyone else look like staff from the Disney Television Animation department.
The end.

I'm not really knowledgeable in this, I don't care that much nor pay much attention to single episodes' staff, but I'll say Iwane. It's great how his episodes have several animation angles, and all done perfectly, as well as some expressions unseen in other director's work.]

The episode where Trio cosplays as the heroes in XY is a BIG example of it (not bothering to look for the name...)

Three way tie btwn Iwane, Tamagawa and Natsume. Love watching episodes they animate.

I've tried to get into this animation stuff but I've always had a hard time telling apart the animators... The only one I can always recognize is Akihiro Tamagawa. Characters have thicker pupils and their upper teeth are almost always visible when he's animating, making them look pretty cute.

That said, I'd say Iwane is the 'cleanest' one. I usually take his episodes as refence to how a series' artstyle truly looks so... I guess he's my favorite? I'm not entirely sure, though. Sometimes it feels his episodes look too... plain? I wouldn't know how to explain. I guess it's because his style is way too consistent.

There's also Aito Ohashi, they haven't work on the show much but Greninja vs Sceptile was hands down the most beautiful thing I've ever seen. I've noticed they put a lot of detail in lighting; characters usually have some small light dots on their faces that make them look much less flat than other animators.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom