• The Anime and Manga staff has posted a PSA regarding Go and how we'll handle future cases involving him from now onwards.

We strongly recommend checking out this thread.

Thank you in advance.

Favorite Animation Director

A sight for VenuSAUR eyes
Reaction score
Just curious, who do you think is your favorite animation director

Yūji Asada has to be one of my favorites, in charge of episodes like Pikachu Revolts, One Journey Ends, Another Begins...

怪しいことも何一つない。
Reaction score
Yuji Asada is a storyboarder although I agree his episodes always look smashing.

Tamagawa was the AD for Pikachu Revolts, I want him back, fighting fit with a clean bill of health and an immortality guarantee!!!

There are a lot of excellent ADs in SM. Has anyone got a hang on them yet? I can't yet figure out exactly who is who (except Iwane and Shimura who we've had since OS), especially as a lot of the new ADs get joint credit for multiple episodes...

A sight for VenuSAUR eyes
Reaction score
I got his role wrong but Yuji Asada has certainly contributed a lot to the series as storyboarder

Reaction score
Too cliched but Masaaki Iwane is my all-time favourite.

Other favourites of mine are Aito Ohasi, Yasushi Nishitani and Akihiro Tamagawa.

Reaction score
When I look back at some of my favorite episodes, Iwane is usually involved xD I especially loved his work from the Mega Evolution Specials, and Ash v. Paul at the Sinnoh League.

Though we rarely ever see him in action, Akihiro Tamagawa is also another huge favorite. Even as a child I remember loving how positively sharp and expressive the characters looked in episodes like Bye-bye Butterfree, Tactics Theatrics, the first appearance of Ash's Gible in DP, etc. With a touch of exaggeration for those more comedic moments. His work probably represents my most preferred look for the series to be quite honest.

Last edited: