• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Favorite Animation Director

Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. He/Him
Just curious, who do you think is your favorite animation director

Yūji Asada has to be one of my favorites, in charge of episodes like Pikachu Revolts, One Journey Ends, Another Begins...

Yuji Asada is a storyboarder although I agree his episodes always look smashing.

Tamagawa was the AD for Pikachu Revolts, I want him back, fighting fit with a clean bill of health and an immortality guarantee!!!

There are a lot of excellent ADs in SM. Has anyone got a hang on them yet? I can't yet figure out exactly who is who (except Iwane and Shimura who we've had since OS), especially as a lot of the new ADs get joint credit for multiple episodes...

Too cliched but Masaaki Iwane is my all-time favourite.

Other favourites of mine are Aito Ohasi, Yasushi Nishitani and Akihiro Tamagawa.

When I look back at some of my favorite episodes, Iwane is usually involved xD I especially loved his work from the Mega Evolution Specials, and Ash v. Paul at the Sinnoh League.

Though we rarely ever see him in action, Akihiro Tamagawa is also another huge favorite. Even as a child I remember loving how positively sharp and expressive the characters looked in episodes like Bye-bye Butterfree, Tactics Theatrics, the first appearance of Ash's Gible in DP, etc. With a touch of exaggeration for those more comedic moments. His work probably represents my most preferred look for the series to be quite honest.

353.jpg

362.jpg

306.jpg

261.jpg

056.jpg

244.jpg

Brock_Memories.png

Last edited:
My favorites are:
10. Yumenosuke Tokuda

9. Toshihito Hirooka

8. Yuko Inoue

7. Kumiko Shishido

6. Kunihiko Natsume

5. Tomohiro Koyama

4. Yasushi Nishiya

3. Aito Ohashi

2. Akihiro Tamagawa

1. Masaaki Iwane

Remember when this show had two animation directors at most? I can't remember the last episode that only needed one director aside from Iwane, who basically does everthing (Izumi Shimura is only credited with him these days for correcting his animation).

Back
Top Bottom