• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Favorite character [SPOILERS]

Guzma, Plumeria, and the rest of team Skull: very entertaining and they have some of my favorite battle themes in the game

Lusamine: an interesting and also kind of creepy villain, plus
the Lusamine/Nihilego fusion looked cool even though we didn't get to fight it

Lillie: she was cute and I liked her character development (I love her "Z-powered form" :X3:) and her relationship with Nebby

Lillie. I adored watching her character grow from an unconfident, scared girl to how she is at the end, it really was quite sweet.

*ahem*

Suiren because she's my chosen best girl of this region. I love her eyes and she just makes me happy/smile. Lillie is likely my #2, but I am Suiren's #1 fan and that won't be changing!

I really don't have a favorite character this time around. I'm finding Lillie and Hau very annoying. The captains are ok I guess, I enjoyed Lana and Kiawe's character during their trials.

Gosh, it's a very very rough pick between Gladion and Lillie. I have loved Gladion from the moment he was announced. His attitude was great, I broke out laughing when you meet him in his apartment and he's just like "Get Out!" So simple, but so funny. I love his character development throughout the story. The blonde edge lord is great.

But I also really love Lillie. She has some great development, and she is just so sweet, I love some of her lines, and the faces she makes are adorable. After Cosmog pops out of her bag with the player, Hala, Hau, and Kukui, she looks at him and she lets off that cute little puffy cheek angry look. So adorable. Gosh she's adorable, and so sweet.

So yeah, it's a rough pick between those siblings, and I don't think I'll be able to ever choose.

(Lana is a close one too, purely because of her lines on how she hoped it was a strapping young swimmer instead of Wishiwashi out on Brooklet Hill. Me too Lana, me too.)

The fact that this thread is pure gold goes a long way to showing that characters were solidly center-stage this gen. People in other threads have been complaining about a weak plot, and certainly the number of cutscenes was almost obscene, but they gave the characters a breath of life that past main series games haven't had.

As far as favorites, I have to echo that so far Lillie has really gotten my attention as a truly dynamic Pokemon character, which we haven't seen since I guess Silver?

Hau is also a really cool twist on the friendly rival, and I think it's funny because I almost feel like he and Gladion are rivals to each other more than either is to the PC. I like that he still has ambitions that are visible within the scope of the game, unlike the entire gang of rivals flocking around the poor XY PC. What did Tierno even want, anyway?

Edit:Quick auto-correct fixes, curse my phone.

Last edited:
I must be one of the few that didn't care for Lillie, but I rather enjoyed interacting with Looker again plus Anabel was a cool character for the short time of the Ultra Beast quest.

Lusamine was a great villain, much more interesting than some in the past. And her ties to the friends you make on the journey makes her a better villain. My only complaint with her, however, is how quickly she becomes evil. Like, more trust should have been built up between her and the player. But nope, just one quick field trip to the Aether Foundation and she's our friend now, next time you see her she's a psycho that hates her children.

Yeah, if you listen to Lillie, you will know that she lost it long before the games happened. It was two years before the game. That is when Gladion took Type: Null and ran away, then booked that room in that motel on Route 8 for two years. Lillie would say even then things were tough with Lusamine, though she didn't run away with Cosmog until 3 months before the games.

It was two years before the game.

Even before then, since as Gladion tells us in the post-game, what kicked it all off was the disappearance of her husband into an Ultra Wormhole. Lusamine's been on a very gradual decline, steeped in her grief for years. Over time, her desire to find her husband morphed into an obsession with Ultra Space in general.

Last edited:
I do enjoy Lillie but I think Grunts A and B are going to go down as my favorite villain team characters since the HGSS Neo-Rocket admins.
Ooh, you just reminded me of my favorite part of the game. The part in Guzma's house where those 2 girls are fighting over their skull shirts, and one suggests they write their names on them, to which the other replies "but all our names are Grunt." Haha the game is becoming self-aware XD

Gladio. I loved him to bits. His over the top 'I'm the dark hero, anti-hero, whatever you call me, and I'm gonna win' vibe was hilarious.

Oh, and the Grunts at the Pokemon Center they took over. I laughed so much when I saw the Yes/No choice change into rap version.

Haven't played the game in full yet, so I have nothing to say about all the major npcs. But I do have to say that this gen I absolutely ADORE the characterization for thr preschoolers, all of them are these energetic little pieces of shit, and its hilarious to see how sad they are when you beat em.

Team Skull was definitely my favorite villain team ever! I love all the grunts in their strong-headed, loyal, and grunt-like ways. I was scared at first when I went into the Pokémon center at Po town, thought they were gonna steal my team! But no, they needed approx 10 cents (USD) so they could pay for electricity, lol.

I am missing Lillie very badly right now... don't know what to do without her constant stance of "I don't like battling, but I'll heal your Pokémon so you can go do it again. Felt bad after seeing everything play out with Lusamine and Galdion.. I'm glad it worked out OK.

Gladion, "Get Out" best line from him. Ever.

Lillie without question~ This coming from someone who almost on sight dislikes female leads for being useless, annoying, damsels in distress who amount to nothing, but Lillie is anything but~

She has a backstory, which is amazing, and she literally grows as a character~ Even if she never became a trainer, when she has her symbolic outfit change and went into her "Z-Mode", I thought it was fantastic how we were finally watching a character grow in the story with us~ She's probably one of the best written characters in the whole series~ And the ending with her was so touching, it just makes me want to see what happens next with her.

Her relationship with her mother really also made me love Lusamine and she's right up there with Cyrus for best Villain for me. As our first female villain, I also like that she wasn't forced to have some basic feminine goal in mind like (as was speculated with a possible female villain for XY) obsessed with beauty~ And while that is ironic considering she mentions beauty quite a bit, her real obsession was with the Ultra Beasts and her rage at feeling betrayed by her children~ I just wish we could have seen a biittt more of her before out last battle, but she was still great for me! Like I wasn't expecting a whole lot with the characters but they really made the story~

Other Notable Faves were: Little Hapu, Acerola, Kukui, and I'm in the minority, but Nanu cracked me up using his his Z-Pose so emotionlessly~ X3

Also, I felt that Team Skull was Team Flare done right~ A team that's meant to be funny and not take itself seriously (the grunts) and some of their rap dialogue had me dying~

Last edited:
and I'm in the minority, but Nanu cracked me up using his his Z-Pose so emotionlessly~ X3

I can't believe I forgot to mention Nanu. He's definitely my second-favorite out of these games.

Also, I felt that Team Skull was Team Flare done right~ A team that's meant to be funny and not take itself seriously (the grunts) and some of their rap dialogue had me dying~

Personally I'd say Team Skull are more their own thing. Unlike Team Flare, Skull is never meant to be taken seriously. They're petty thugs throughout the whole game, with no real greater-scope objective like "Population Cull via Giant Laser Cannon." Really more like Team Rocket, but with less influence and more humor.

Team Flare, in my opinion, were more like Team Galactic done wrong. Well, in every regard except motive - I didn't care much for the "make a new universe sans spirit" stuff; I thought it was too abstract and overblown, whereas Flare's attempted genocide is a bit more grounded (if hoped to be achieved using a fantastical device, but it's Pokémon so...). But nevertheless, I feel like we were actually given time to take in Galactic's shift from "bowl-cut astronauts and memes" to "actual bombings and horrific basement experiments." With Team Flare, we don't really get much time to process it because them showing their teeth isn't build-up to the climax, it is the climax, so it feels very sudden and the whole thing is over not long after it starts.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom