• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Favorite character [SPOILERS]

I was actually really overwhelmed with Lillie. At first I found her so annoying and pretty irrelevant. But in the end she was the character I enjoyed the most. I had a thought when I completed the main part of the game that it would've been fun to have played as Lillie because of her transition from a wimp to a stronger person.
Else then that I liked Hau, because he was a more easy-going sidekick. Not a "I WILL BEAT YOU!" type.
Gladion was a joy to fight and follow. Much like Lillie he had a good character development. He is a fitting rival and side character.

This game has some of the best characters in Pokemon History. :) Good game.

Gladion was pretty good and his Type Null line was strong. Loved his line in the hotel: "get out". That got me laughing.

I actually like a majority of the characters this time. Most of them actually felt like real people that I could connect with and related to and I enjoyed seeing more of them and their stories. I haven't felt this way about a cast of characters in years.

Lillie is no doubt my favorite. She started off as an incredibly shy girl who was too fearful to protect the Pokemon she cared most about. She relied on me, Hau, Kukui, Burnet, Hapu, and more to help her get through most of her problems. Then after her mother got lost in Ultra Space she had her own little revelation and decided to become brave on her own. She made the decision to change her clothes after wearing only what her mother told her to wear for 11 years. She sought out Solgaleo to save Nebby and her mom (not knowing that Nebby was Solgaleo), despite all the trouble Lusamine caused. She became braver and created and passed her own made up "trial" which may seem minor to some, but was a huge growth point for her considering how she was in the beginning. She confronted her mother in Ultra Space telling her that she has no right to own or control people or Pokemon just because she wants to. Then she brought her injured mother home and decided to go on a journey by herself to continue helping her mother and herself. For the first time in forever, she made the choice by herself to go to a faraway place with no one else to help her along. That's probably the most growth an development any character had ever had and I loved it. I'm so proud of everything Lillie was able to accomplish and I love her character journey so much.

Honorable mentions go to Hau, who is a nice breath of fresh air during the serious times of crisis, Lusamine, the first major female villain who is harsh to the end and has an interesting backstory and relationship with other major characters, Kukui, a professor with a dream of his own and great personality to boot, Nanu for being funny af and badass, and Team Skull for just being plain hilarious.

Overall, I loved nearly all of the characters for the first time since DPPT. They actually had depth behind them and I felt like everything involving them meshed well together.

I'm still playing the game currently (traversing through Vast Poni Canyon), so I'll have to save my actual favorite character answer for later.

However! Lillie sure is shaping up to be that person. My current favorite Lillie moment is when you, she and Gladion arrive on Poni Island. Immediately, she proceeds to call him out, understandably, for leaving her with their batshit insane mother alone for over two years. It hurt my heart when she lamented that things could have gone a lot worse if Wicke wasn't there for support (and most likely maternal love). This all really stood out to me because it shows how far she's come from the meek and unnecessarily reserved girl she was at the beginning of the game. She's finally allowing herself to live and emote freely, within reason, and beginning to transcend the horrible inhibitions her mother placed on her.

I was also disappointed in Gladion's response to all of this. Sure he apologized, but he spent much more time rationalizing his decision (Type Null>Lillie) to leave rather than offer a genuine apology. He could have taken Lillie with him or at least offered her a way of contact to keep in contact over the years, rather than just up and leaving with no warning. Or call the police (who are actually in the game) about child abuse. But I think I may be expecting too much here. Again, proud of Lillie for acknowledging all of this in-game.

I've gotta say that Lillie is my favorite character in these games. Her development is astronomical, going from a girl who always needed saving to a self-sufficient, strong, and virtually well-rounded character. She's gotta be GF's most detailed and well-developed character of all. She was even willing to stand up to her lunatic mother in the Ultra World, openly defying and calling out her mother's insanity with plenty of bite in her statements and spine to spare, not willing to be her mother's doll anymore. Her development has been the best I've seen in quite some time, which left me quite impressed and very fond of her. She's gotta be one of GF's best characters to date.

Second place is a tie between Hau and Gladion. Starting with Hau, he's the first fun rival I've really enjoyed since Bianca in BW. He knows how to take everything in stride, not letting any setback bog him down, and always finds a way to smile even in a bad situation. I admire that kind of positive attitude. He virtually lives in his grandfather's shadow for most of the adventure, but he finds a way to overcome that and become his own person, smiling all the way. Plus I love a guy who loves good food. As for Gladion, he filled the niche of arrogant rival very well, yet he has proven to be well-developed and has shown plenty of heart. I liked him from the start, but once I began the infiltration of Aether Foundation, I saw what he really is. He's had a hard road, especially thanks to his psycho mama, and even though he pretty much abandoned Lillie when he ran off with Null, he did show regret and apologized for it. Type: Null proves what Gladion really is like, as it can only evolve via friendship, which proved that Gladion was never a bad character, just someone who had suffered a great ordeal and is trying to put the pieces of his life back together. While he wasn't as well developed as his sister came to be, he still had good development, which is something GF really needs to do more often with characters.

So much "I love Lillie" comments. And I agree. She and the main character are so cute together :3

Also, Acerola and Guzma are great people too

Nanu, since he's probably the closest we're going to get to a Dark-type gym leader. I actually liked his cynical personality, and he really sells his Z-Dance. Team Skull is really good too, and probably my favorite villain team so far.

The cast, in general, are pretty memorable. Especially their interactions with each other. Like for example, both Lana and Kiawe being a part of your final Trial in Akala; it wraps up all your experiences with them nicely.

Probably Nanu! The Dark type is my favorite type in the game, and I was so happy to see that we finally get a Dark type user than isn't part of the Elite Four. I love his design and his more negative and realistic attitude, which was a breath of fresh air since the vast majority of Pokemon characters are happy and positive. After him, my other favorites would be Lusamine, Kukui, Kiawe, Guzma, Mina, and Hau (in no particular order)

I don't think I've seen this one mentioned here, but I think I want to give a little love to Rotom, always there helping us along our journeys through the Alola Region. I don't know about you, but I really liked Rotom. No he didn't really get the real character development, but if you look at his ines, you can se little bits of his personality sprinkled in there. How he gets scared, and how he misses Hau and Lillie (me too Rotom! Me too!). His one-liners are just great. so silly :). I saw the one where he called Ilima attractive yesterday and I laughed. While Rotom wasn't my favorite character, I think he deserves a good mention, because he sure is fun.

Definitely Lillie. Her dealing with an abusive mother hit a little close to home with me, so I adore that Game Freak went with tackling a story like this. It made me stop to think about abuse as a thematic element, while it's not new to Pokemon, was definitely handled really well here. She's had such great character development that it made me so invested in her character and I'm so heartbroken at the ending that she had to leave.

I definitely think that Lillie is one of the most well-developed characters in the series, and she's grown on me a lot.

Also, the Trial Captains and Kahunas were all adorable.

The last game I played in recent history that had me get this attached to the characters was freakin' Undertale, which kind of tells you how much Game Freak stepped up their character game since XY.

Gladion, Gladion, Gladion, Gladion, Gladion, Gladion, Gladion, and did I fail to mention Gladion?

Yes, Gladion is my favorite character, personality and design wise.

I'll give a list of my other favorite characters besides you know who.
Lillie(who doesn't, besides some of the people in the "What did you not like in Sun & Moon" thread?).
Professor Kukui.
Lana(She's my favorite trial captain. I've betrayed my previous username).
Mallow.
Acerola(She's kinda in a tie with Lana for favorite trial captain).
Nanu.
Plumeria.
It's our boy! Guzma!
Hapu(Fun fact: I originally thought she was going to be the champion of Alola. Well at least I knew she had some significance).
Mina and Kahili(I mostly like them design wised).
And.....
gladion_by_yomitrooper-dagvuaa.jpg

I HAD TO!

Last edited:
Lusamine.

So threatening... But also so sad.

Um... I wasn't a Lillie fan at all. I personally felt she was a bit annoying. Not as bad as Hau, though.

A tough one, I rather liked quite a lot of people. It's a tie between Lillie, Gladion, and Anabel.

Lillie - She's very cute and a strong character despite the fact that she never battles. I like that a lot.
Gladion - He's cool, love his character and music. I love how much he also loves pokemon.
Anabel - I haven't completed the post game yet but I instantly loved her, I love her relationship with Looker and Nanu. She's pretty and seems very nice. I hope she'll be in other games like Looker is.

As for some others:
Hapu - She's pretty cute, a little scary and maybe a bit arrogant but I admire her determination.
Nanu - He sorta just amuses me how he has this personality that makes him look as though he doesn't care about anything but deep down he's really nice.
Kukui - Not my favourite professor but he's up at the top, he's strong and actually does stuff.
Kiawe - I like his dances and his design.
Acerola - She's cute and is involved in the story a lot.
Guzma - B1g b@d b0i guzma is here! I actually didn't like him at first, but after seeing him with Lusamine towards the end sorta redeemed his character for me.

Next to everyone in Team Skull, I really liked Nanu. I just love characters that act grumpy but are actually really nice. Also thought his grumpiness was pretty hilarious, especially when he did the Z-Pose thing and then went 'ok bye' straight after that. Grumpy characters are the best ok. Also, the police station he lives in is full of Meowth, I approve.

I think my favorite character of Sun and Moon would have to be Lillie. With Gladion, Mallow, Kiawe, Lana and Acerola being close seconds.

• Though I tend to have an affinity for Moe characters, Lillie has the benefit of being the most rounded of the cast, and that her conflict with Lusamine seems like a interesting change of pace. The last time time Pokemon celebrated an anniversary, they went all out and took the conflict to cosmic levels, in contrast to that (and the Ultra Beast aspects) Sun and Moon's scope is much more on a personal level in comparison. The plot ultimately boiled down to saving Lusamine from herself instead of stopping someone before their ambition dooms the region (as much as I subscribe to the "destroyed universe" theory, it is still speculation and even if it is true, its also implied that the Nihelego venom was a major factor in all this).
  • Gladion likewise tied into the the plot the same way. The first to notice that Lusamine went wacko, he took one of the experimental pokemon and bolted. Seeking strength to protect that which he rescue (and possibly to go back to confront his mother), he fell in with the local street gang, Team Skull. He's the closest thing to a rival archetype that players wanted from the start. A member of an evil team but even then he's treated as an outsider among outsiders. I think he;s quite similar to Nanu in some respects; grumpy, edgy, actually caring of others deep down.
  • The trial captains of Akala have a good combination of good designs, interesting humor and difficulty. Teaching a necessity of a well balanced team, as your starter would not be able to handle all three totem pokemon alone.
  • Acerola's is both an adorable bundle of joy and one of the most dangerous trainers in the game. Being the captain of the deadly Ghost-type trial with its totem Mimikyu, and a member of the elite four. Plus her cheery dispostion makes a nice contrast to the dour Nanu

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom