• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Favorite English Pokemon names?

Geodude

Protecting Gotham City
Reaction score
Turtonator is just awesome. That name tops the list for me.

I like how Mimikyu kept its Japanese name, because it becomes a rather appropriate pun in English. Mimikyu = mimic you. :p (It could be the same in Japanese, for all I know, but still.)

I think I like Mimikyu the most, since it's a sort of pun, but not too obvious. The other pun names are just too...punny for me:p Though I can appreciate Bewear.
This! Mimikyu is one hell of a shockingly good pun! Plus, the Pokemon itself has been awesome so far. How can one hate Mimikyu and his name is my question!

Venusaur. ^_^

Oh. You meant Alola? Well in that case, I like the name Solgaleo, if not the Pokémon itself. I also like Toucannon. And yeah, I like Lycanroc too.

Decidueye and Toucannon for most badass.

Minior and Cosmog for most adorable.

And Lunala for almost being a Lion King character.

Solgaleo is a good one. It's got the obligatory "sol" and "leo" parts that one would expect for a sun lion, but the (possibly unintentional) similarity to Galileo is really neat.

Wishiwashi has some layers to it, and it's fun to say.

Type: Null is suitably cold, distant, and scientific.

Nihilego. I am nothing. Great name for a parasitic alien that mostly acts by influencing other people. It's an empty vessel, too.

Buzzwole is hilarious.

Edit: Oh, and, it's not a Pokémon name, but "Isle Avue," the English name for the friendship-boosting/egg-hatching island in Poké Pelago, is very clever.

Last edited:
I really, really love the name Nihilego... I hope that I don't turn into a Ultra-Beast maniac if I start liking Nihilego becuase of the name...

I also like Incineroar and Primarina as names. Rockruff is too beautiful as a name, and Dewpider seems to be growing on me.

Wishiwashi is just so perfect. The whole gimmick of the Pokémon is very "wishy-washy," and on top of that the name contains "wash" like the water type. Also, my friend told me "iwashi" is Japanese for sardine, so if that's true, just makes the name perfect.

I also wanna mention Dewpider. It's cute, but not because I like the name. My friend and I always pronounce it wrong on purpose. Like, "Doopiter." (Rhyme with Jupiter). Don't know why, it's fun like that.

I like how Mimikyu kept its Japanese name, because it becomes a rather appropriate pun in English. Mimikyu = mimic you. :p (It could be the same in Japanese, for all I know, but still.)
I think it's clever for not only this, but also falling under the naming conventions of the more traditional pikaclone - as are the actual counterparts as well as Pikachu itself, its name is the same in every language save for a couple. It just helps to reinforce how self-referential Mimikyu is as a Pokémon and, heck, as the mere concept of a pikaclone self-parody that puts a lampshade on how popular Pikachu became. One must wonder what would have happened if Clefairy got its time in the sun and we got Clefairy clones each Generation instead...

For my personal favourite Pokémon names in Alola:
  • Lunala sounds really cool and graceful, and despite choosing Sun I like this mascot better overall... though Solgaleo is no slouch, either
  • Celesteela for basically being "celestial", "steel" and a presumably feminine suffix of -a added to the end. Though I will be honest - I prefer its Japanese name, Tekkaguya, better
  • Nihilego is creepy in all aspects, which is why I like this name a lot because it tells you everything you need to know about the Pokémon
  • Type: Null sticks out to me as a name choice less for how I like it and moreso how unique it is amongst all others. It's the only one to use a colon in its default species name, and one of a few in this Generation which break the previous mold for not using spaces in a species name, of which only this and the Land Spirits do to my knowledge
  • Araquanid sticks out to me for being rather fun to say, and almost entirely sounds like someone Japanese trying to pronounce "arachnid" in English
  • Buzzwole is another that sticks out to me for different reasons than usual, in particular this one is because it seems like it reflects today's modern youth. Like, it's an unidentified species, so it could be said that you, the player character, got to name it when caught - a name fitting for a Pokémon such as Buzzwole could only be created by today's youth, with all the s w o l e memes.

English names?

1) Audino
2) Indeedee
3) Garchomp

Honorable mentions
Ho-Oh
Metagross
Darkrai
Zekrom
Bewear
Tapu Bulu
Lunala