• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Favorite Female Player Character Design

Which Female Player Character Design is your Favorite?

• Leaf

• Kris

• Lyra

• May (Original, Emerald or ORAS)

• Dawn (Original or Platinum)

• Hilda

• Rosa

• Serena

• Moon (Original or USUM)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Reaction score
Alola all! Time to rate and comment on the female player characters-which one of these silent heroines has the best design in your opinion? We're talking about clothing, hairstyles, eye colors, bag choices, hat choices, and anything in-between. Feel free to discuss elements you like in one character, that you wish another (existing or new) would have.

You can pick your favorite, a favorite runner up and your least favorite. For example, I'll start.

Favorite: Lyra
Runner Up: May (All outfits)
Least Favorite: Hilda

I really enjoy Lyra's design. I thought it captured the freshness and awe of the Johto region pretty well (especially when HGSS came out and nostalgia came charging in on a train). It's also fun, youthful, easy on the eyes, yet simple but sweet. Her hat is pretty impressive too as far as female players hats go, though I think my favorite aspect are her overalls-it's never been done with a PC before! Her bag also looks a bit more substantial than other female PC bags. Lastly, brown eyes are always a plus.

May is a close second. Her design is very sporty and appropriate for the climate of the Hoenn region. Even though they girly-fied it in ORAS, I thought her bow was still a nice choice along with her original bandanna. However, her bandanna remains my favorite element about her-I like the way she (as well as the original Team Aqua) wore it. The fact that she uses a fanny pack over the conventional backpack was pretty cool too. May also has the honor of being the only female player character I've used-so.many.hours.playing. Pokemon Ruby. I really enjoyed her character in the anime as well, which probably contributes to why I like her design so much.

Lastly, Hilda. Ooh. Her clothes are great...for the club. I don't think they're very practical for traversing around in. Especially in colder environments like Icirrus City and Unova's general winters. That's really my only problem with it though. She actually reminds me Disney Miley Cyrus and "Party in the U.S.A" She also really looks like her mother, the best out of all the PCs in my opinion.

Lastly, Hilda. Ooh. Her clothes are great...for the club. I don't think they're very practical for traversing around in. Especially in colder environments like Icirrus City and Unova's general winters. That's really my only problem with it though. She actually reminds me Disney Miley Cyrus and "Party in the U.S.A" She also really looks like her mother, the best out of all the PCs in my opinion.

I'm pretty sure people don't wear clothes like that to the club...

My favourite is Serena. So pretty.

I really like Leaf and how simple her design is. Maybe also the fact that she hasn’t been ruined by an anime counterpart helps.

Second place probably goes to Serena. Her initial outfit is just a perfect representation of the region.

(Third would be Platinum Dawn, solely for the coat alone)

Last place for me is probably Lyra. I love her as a character, her hair is cool, but I can’t stand her outfit. It’s like she’s going for a stupid sexy Mario cosplay. It’s just... odd. Like, I feel like nobody would ever wear such a thing. Like, ever.

Definitely Hilda, I love the tomboyish vibe she has going on. Her ponytail is a definite plus - the way it sticks up from the back of her head makes it seem so fluffy imo.
Least favourite is SM's Selene. Aside from her hat, there's really nothing about her design that stands out - she's kinda bland compared to previous female protagonists, especially Serena.

Hilda is the best designed, she really stands out.

Selene/Moon is my second favorite, but without the hat. She has the same problem of Leaf: She is really cute, but her official outfit color scheme is a mess. I Also love Serena's design, she looks beautiful and elegant.

Lyra, mostly cause of the hair and that cute puffy hat.

Least fav is Serena, she's just too 'fasionable' for my tastes.

I really like May in all games, even though she looks a bit too young in the remakes. She just looks the most bold and adventurous to me. Platinum Dawn is second because of the coat. I also like Leaf and Serena to a degree.
Least favourites are Kris and especially Rosa, something about their designs just doesn't feel right to me.

I really like May's design because she's so cute :3 Ribbon on top! And I like her contest outfit, too.
Runner-up being Serena because of her simple yet fashionable design.
Third place, Platinum Dawn because of the winter coat.

Last place, Leaf. But not because I hate her design or anything... just that I feel indifferent. Everyone else is okay to me.

I like Serena outside of her initial design. Basically what I end up doing with her because XY had some great outfits. But outside of those I don’t care for the initial design.

Initial design wise my favorite is probably Hilda because it was a very good representation of American style and helped to show that she was older than that protagonists. Also I would most likely wear her outfit. Mays is pretty good though that may partially be due to it being somewhat more tomboyish than others. And Lyra’s definitely grew on me.

Least favorite is definitely Rosa and Moon. Moons initial design is horrible. And Rosas is weird with the visors and leggings under shorts. It wasn’t exactly outside of weird American style but it still looked bad especially with the hair.

I think simpler is generally best.

Favorite: A tie between Hilda and Serena
Hilda's shorts are a tad too short in my opinion but otherwise I love her look. Same for Serena's skirt. They are the oldest looking female protagonists and I love that. I've never really thought that it was a wise idea for 10 year olds to be running around without supervision around an entire country, technically. 15/16 is a bit more excusable for video game protagonists to me. Hilda's hair is also adorable.

Runner Up: Moon (Ultra)
I love this look. I love it so much. She is so cute. The hair. The shirt. The hat. I just wish we got character art of Ultra Moon standing like a normal person as opposed to being mid jump. Ultra Moon fixed everything I hated about regular Moon (hisses at brain sucker hat and weird baggy shirt thing).

Least Favorite: A tie between Rosa and Lyra, but mostly Lyra
Lyra is here only because of her short suspenders. Her hat is amazing and her hair is cute, but oh my goodness does her kawaii-mario look drive me insane.

On the flipside, there is nothing I like about Rosa barring her shirt and the pastel blue and yellow color choice. Body fitting swimsuit under clothes, whatever the heck those shorts are supposed to be, that god-awful hair, a visor that looks like a pink strap holding down and over-sized sleep mask. Her shoes are also weird looking, but that's the least of her fashion failures to me. I'm fine with the general hairstyle she has, I love sailor moon, but... why are her hair buns so dang big? If you undid this poor girl's hair it'd probably have a good one or two feet dragging the ground. It looks like someone tried to do a stylized princess Leia and decided to throw sailor moon in the mix to not get sued or something. And again WTF ARE HER SHORTS?? I would almost prefer her not wearing any shorts at all over that bodysuit over whatever the heck those are supposed to be. Like, here ten-year-old girl. Have some shorts that almost guarantee you're gonna walk around with a wedgie in that skin tight bodysuit. Gross.

Dishonorable Mention: Dawn, if only for not wearing pants in what is to this date the coldest climate in the pokemon world. GAME FREAK LET HER HAVE PANTS. Her shirt and coat do not count as a dress.

Now that I think about it, Game Freak's designs for female player characters have this same kinda point: outfits that are so little-girl-booty focused that none of these girls could bend over without flashing some panties or just showing off the hindquarters area something fierce. At least Serena and Ultra/Moon can change their clothes to better pants. Ultra Moon is the only one that comes close to having pants that aren't like that if only because their design looks somewhat less skin tight.

May is my favorite and Selene in US/UM is the runner up.

I've always loved May's design, whether it be the originals or the remakes. Her outfit is really cute and I love her interesting hair style and bandanna. Selene's US/UM design is super adorable and a great improvement over her Sun/Moon design. Her hat and hair are 1000x better and the rest of the outfit is just much brighter and more appealing to me.

First place is Hilda. Her style and body language prove she's the most AMERICAN of the protags, even compared to Hilbert! While Hilbert's VS sprite calmly assesses his opponent, Hilda's is all like, "Ooh yeah! You're in for a serious hurtin'!" Second is ORAS May because she looks peppy and adorable.

Least favorite is Dawn for lacking the good sense to wear pants or leggings in the coldest of all regions.

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom