• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Favorite Food Pokémon?

What's your favorite food Pokémon?

• Exeggcute

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cherubi

• Vanillite

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Vanillish

• Vanilluxe

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Swirlix

• Slurpuff

• Bounsweet

• Applin

• Flapple

• Appletun

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Gigantamax Flapple/Appletun

• Sinistea

• Polteageist

• Milcery

• Alcremie

Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Gigantamax Alcremie

• Total voters

Phosphene

Formerly SpinyShell
Reaction score
I can't remember exactly why I though of making this thread, but I was definitely hungry. Anyways, I was curious to see which food Pokémon is the most popular. I was uncertain if the two tea Pokémon counted as food, but since you ingest tea I figured it counted.

Vanilluxe for me. One of my favourite Ice types! It's a really inventive Pokemon design that doesn't get nearly enough love.

Flapple and Gigantamax Alcremie are great as well. If I ever get married to a Pokemon fan I would love to have a real Gigantamax Alcremie-themed wedding cake. And I'm quite fond of Exeggute (and Exeggutor), which I found fascinating as a child, when I tended to gravitate towards the more oddball Pokemon designs.

It’s more interesting than you’d expect to think about the delineations of what exactly constitutes a “food” Pokémon. I’m sure everyone would have slightly different criteria - for instance, I myself would not be inclined to count Exeggcute, but I probably would count Steenee and Tsareena. How does one compare, say, Cherubi, which literally is a cherry, versus Applin, which is a small serpent that merely inhabits an apple? Then you have Vanillite, which is formed of two not particularly edible elements (snow and icicles), but which resembles a cone of ice cream. What about Pokémon that are not directly based on edible concepts, but which have edible “parts” as a key part of the design? (e.g. Tropius, Chansey, Farfetch’d, possibly Applin, and even more remotely... Miltank? Not for the meat, but for the dairy products that explicitly come from it - Moomoo Milk and Moomoo Cheese. Although speaking of meat, you also have Slowpoke Tails...) What about the likes of Pumpkaboo? True that it’s not common practice to eat raw pumpkin without some form of modification and preparation, but the same could be said about Exeggcute and eggs. Not to mention the various mushroom-based Pokémon!

Anyway, me overcomplicating the matter aside, my favorites here are probably Swirlix and Polteageist. I didn’t know what another name for cotton candy was fairy floss, so it seemed like a clever joke when I first learned that, plus it’s just very cute. And with Polteageist, I just like the whole concept (Sugimori has said once that they’re usually averse to making Pokémon based on food because it can be difficult, and I expect that a “tea” Pokémon likely would have been challenging to design), as well as the way the pot itself is characterized by having forgeries and authentic works that the creature can inhabit. I’ll go with Polteageist for the vote.

Additionally, I’m also rather fond of Alcremie for it’s evolution method - each flavor having different steps you have to follow makes it feel a bit like you’re using a specific “recipe” for each variant, with your choice of topping. And I think Vanillite is a clever design, especially since, with how Gen 5 “reimagined” a lot of Gen 1 creature concepts, I see it as an unexpected analogue to the Koffing family.

Vanillite line for me! Not just being from my favourite gen, but I also love their concept of being sentient icicles that cover themselves in snow to look like an ice cream. Also helps that Vanilluxe has a surprisingly strong BST for an Ice-type.

The Vanillite line I guess? I like ice cream, although Vanillite and co aren't technically that, but they do look similar to real ice cream cones.

t’s more interesting than you’d expect to think about the delineations of what exactly constitutes a “food” Pokémon. I’m sure everyone would have slightly different criteria - for instance, I myself would not be inclined to count Exeggcute, but I probably would count Steenee and Tsareena. How does one compare, say, Cherubi, which literally is a cherry, versus Applin, which is a small serpent that merely inhabits an apple? Then you have Vanillite, which is formed of two not particularly edible elements (snow and icicles), but which resembles a cone of ice cream. What about Pokémon that are not directly based on edible concepts, but which have edible “parts” as a key part of the design? (e.g. Tropius, Chansey, Farfetch’d, possibly Applin, and even more remotely... Miltank? Not for the meat, but for the dairy products that explicitly come from it - Moomoo Milk and Moomoo Cheese. Although speaking of meat, you also have Slowpoke Tails...) What about the likes of Pumpkaboo? True that it’s not common practice to eat raw pumpkin without some form of modification and preparation, but the same could be said about Exeggcute and eggs. Not to mention the various mushroom-based Pokémon!
To be honest, I was debating including Exeggcute and, to a lesser degree, Bounsweet but I included them anyways just because I felt that it was better to be a bit broad. Mainly, I just went with Pokémon that, overall, resemble finalized food products or stuff that you can eat with little preparation. I was inspired by one of the scenes in a SwSh trailer, with a Snorlax in Pokemon Camp along with several food-like Pokémon such as Cherubi and Vanillite, and picked Pokémon based mainly on that scene. Though, I agree that would I selected was, at the end of the day, arbitrary and subjective.

I like Flapple and how it uses apple peels as wings, while having a snake-y design. But the rest are pretty meh to me, I feel like they really need to be fused with something else and have more distinguished factors as giving a face to everyday food and objects doesn't cut it for me.

Second place would be Alcremie, for that very same reason as it leans more towards a fairy than a cupcake.

Alcremie looks the best. It's so obviously food based but without it coming off as cheap or unoriginal. Vanilluxe looks cool too even if I never used one in the games.

Alcremie, looks so pretty and has a nice form gimmick. I also like Slurpuff and Appletun.

Vanillite, Vanillish, and Vanilluxe are my favorites. I always did like that line a lot (and I thought that a Mega Vanilluxe that turned into an ice cream sundae would have been funny). Maybe next time I play BW I'll try to get one on my team.

Exeggcute and Swirlix are both close seconds. Exeggcute is an interesting departure from the usual Psychic-type, and the idea of multiple beings counting as one singular Pokemon is always pretty cool to me. Swirlix is just fun to look at, and I really like its shiny palette as well.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom