• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Favorite game generations

ReshiramDragonofTruth

The Malefic Hoarder
Reaction score
What's your opinion on the Pokemon generations? Do you like Generation 1, or Generation 5? Tell everyone what it is and why.

My favorite is 3, because the first Pokemon game I ever got was a Generation 3 game. My least favorite generation is I don't know.

This is the exact question that plagues some when they're trying to sleep. I must say that I debated this question in my head for a while before finally coming up with an answer.

I've played every generation from one to five, and every one was enjoyable. They each had their ups and downs. That being said, the generation I had the most fun in is actually gen 3 as well. I found myself enjoying it a lot more than any of the other games, and was completely devestated when my Emerald version no longer worked. I had a good 350+ hours going on that one. I think it might have been all the things you could do in it; the contests, messing around with your "fan club" and the reporters, and especially the secret base. Even though 4 had the same things, it just somehow wasn't the same for me. So yeah.

I think Pokémon's best Generation so far was IV. You had the graphics, Battle Revolution, HGSS, internet, Team Galactic, PMD 2 which was EPIC, the Time and Space legendaries, a Ghost/Dragon, Snowpoint City, more baby Pokémon and evolutions, and overall total awesomeness. The only other thing I wish they had in GEN IV would be Shadow Pokémon.

I am going to say Gen 4. It had some of the best games(imo), good music, memorable characters(Cynthiaaa!!!), and some amazing Pokemon like Garchomp, Staraptor, Infernape, Yanmega and so many more. It also brought some real improvements like the physical-special split, changes to moves like Outrage, introduced wifi battling, stealth rock, etc.

Gens 4 and 5, definitely. Sorry, but I hardly liked gen 3 at all. They bored me. The later gens have a lot of awesome features and qualities though. More Pokemon I like, better storylines, etc. <3

I have to say I really loved Gen. 3 but not FireRed and LeafGreen... only Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald. I couldn't stand FR/LG, not one bit ^-^;;
I really loved the graphics of R/S/E a lot. I don't know why, maybe because it just seemed very... crisp? Compared to the graphics of FR/LG, even though it shared some things I just felt it looked too cartoon-y to me, and I just didn't like it. I also really loved the Pokemon on the Hoenn region, as well as the characters, cities, etc. <3 The Kanto region kinda just bored me.

(I also really liked G/S/C, I love the Johto Pokemon~)

Generation 2. I still think it brought the most innovation to the series.

2 > 3 > 5 >1 >>>> 4

Generation 2 is my favorite because it had the best music :) Generations 4 and 5 are tied for second place because hey generation 4 introduced Wi-Fi battling and generation 5 introduced so many new competitive game mechanics like new abilities, new pokemon, and new moves.

gen 3 was my favorite too. i think it introduced some of the best pokemon and i loved the hoenn region. i've noticed that each generation as a certain style to it as well, and 3rd gen to me was just gorgeous. i really really hope they get remade.

I have to say that my favorite is gen 4.
I hadn't played Gen 3 games until my GF bought Pearl when it was released and I went with her and "accidently" bought Diamond.
Didn't regret it.

I'd have to say:
1) Gen I
2) Gen III
3) Gen IV

in that order :) didn't like much Gen II and I still have mixed feelings about Gen V: I like the region and the storyline, I don't like the pokémon and some of the stuff introduced like movies and musicals..

Mine is Generation III and V because:

Generation III: Advanced Pokémon design, double battles. Two villainous teams in one region (Orre included). Biggest Pokémon (Wailord) and heaviest Pokémon (Groudon) from this generation still reign as the biggest and heaviest, of all.
Generation V: Good Pokémon design (although some were lame), nice Unova map, triple battles, and an infamous N from Team Plasma. Black gym leaders such as Iris and Marlon (this is how Unova reflected by US culture especially human races. Yes, Black and White also reflect the mixed culture of Black and White human races).

Gens 2 and 5 for me: Gen 2 because when I was young, I thought Pokemon Gold was the coolest game ever, and it's all the nostalgia feels behind it xD and gen 5 because I truly think these games are the most epic in the series.

IV and V. Maybe it has something to do with me not growing up with the older generations, but I think the pokémon designs in those generations are much better than that of their predecessors. And from what I've read and seen, these gens seem to be the most innovative, or at least the ones which really tried to improve on the franchise, though I could be wrong.

Gen 4 and Gen 2 are my favorites. Gen 2 is what I started with and I enjoy the games a lot. It introduced a lot of interesting things like Day/Night, Berries, shinyness, etc. Gen 4 was also interesting, lots of interesting Pokemon and such and the remake of G/S.

Well, 3. It just had something! ♡ The NPCs and environments were just the peak of Pokemon, and I can't even imagine 3 being surpassed. I like 5 too, but it wasn't endearing, just good. Every location was wonderful, distinct, the sea routes were perfect, just. Hoenn is my home gen!!

(so there's definitely a nostalgia bias there! but that's only natural.)

4 feels like the low point, but I don't mind too much.

For me, my favorite Gen would be V. Why? I finally, after so many years, got me a pair of "I will love you forever" faves: Golett and Golurk. I admit it--I was on the fence when it came to Gen V until I spotted the sprite of what looked to be a giant robot...

Of course, Gen V having a great story and adding the Musicals--yes, I like them!--also helped.

I think my least favorite would have to be II. I've found that a good number of the Johto Pokemon just aren't all that memorable and the story was a bit lacking. Johto did have good music however, so I'll give it that. (Not saying I didn't enjoy the games; they just felt a little lacking in my book.)

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom