• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Favorite genre of game?

• Staff
oh yes, it's fighting for me too. got any favorites in particular?
(second favorite is probably rpgs, especially the old-school turn-based ones ^^)

• Staff
tekken gang tekken gang
who do you play? i play lili and kaz, used to play asuka, chloe, and alisa. i have all of them in tgo except for kaz
i am HYPED for tekken 8

I've played a lot of genres. RPGs such as Final Fantasy and the Zelda games, platformers like Mario or Sonic games, racing games such as Mario Kart and F-Zero, fighting games like Street Fighter and Smash Bros, party games like, well, Mario Party... The list goes on. Problem is, since I don't play video games nearly as much as I did in the past, it'd be hard to pick one and having it an honest answer.

• Staff
i love loz ^^ have you played totk yet? it's super good
good taste in fighting games, i've been playing sfvi nonstop since launch date. stayed up til midnight and everything for it

i love loz ^^ have you played totk yet? it's super good
good taste in fighting games, i've been playing sfvi nonstop since launch date. stayed up til midnight and everything for it
I started ToTK and unlocked the power of putting stuff together. And I spent quite more time in that trial cave than I thought I would have had !
My first Zelda game was the Oracle games on Game Boy Color, which are "Oracle of Seasons" and "Oracle of Ages". I got stuck in Seasons due to accidentally choosing the german translation at one point and forgot I could turn it back to french. Then there was Minish Cap on the GBA, then it was Four Swords Adventures on the GameCube and after that... While I do own A Link Between Worlds, I haven't played it yet ( :lapras: ), and then there's ToTK. Fun fact : the Oracle games and Minish Cap were made by a company that worked with Capcom, and became fully merged with them in 2007. This is why there are a few enemies reminiscent of the Mega Man games.

Yeah, Street Fighter never fails to deliver. I only mainly played the Super Nintendo version that only had the 8 main characters as playables (so no Balrog, Sagat, M.Bison and especially the infamous Vega who was B.O.N.K.E.R.S at the time. I'm not kidding !)

I started ToTK and unlocked the power of putting stuff together. And I spent quite more time in that trial cave than I thought I would have had !
My first Zelda game was the Oracle games on Game Boy Color, which are "Oracle of Seasons" and "Oracle of Ages". I got stuck in Seasons due to accidentally choosing the german translation at one point and forgot I could turn it back to french. Then there was Minish Cap on the GBA, then it was Four Swords Adventures on the GameCube and after that... While I do own A Link Between Worlds, I haven't played it yet ( :lapras: ), and then there's ToTK. Fun fact : the Oracle games and Minish Cap were made by a company that worked with Capcom, and became fully merged with them in 2007. This is why there are a few enemies reminiscent of the Mega Man games.

Yeah, Street Fighter never fails to deliver. I only mainly played the Super Nintendo version that only had the 8 main characters as playables (so no Balrog, Sagat, M.Bison and especially the infamous Vega who was B.O.N.K.E.R.S at the time. I'm not kidding !)
oof, yeah. that trial took me a long time too. my drift is so bad i can't even calibrate my joycons anymore.
i dont know why but that thing about the translations is so funny to me, sorry about that though!
yep, i... definitely thought something about them seemed familiar. hey, the more you know! that's actually pretty interesting!
and... yep, the good old infamous Playable Vega...

I have a fair few genres in my media cabinet. Most of which are RPGs like Breath of Fire, Dragon Quest, and Pokemon, but there are also platformers like the Crash Bandicoot and Spyro the Dragon series, a few monster raising/taming games from Digimon and Monster Rancher, one or two racing games like CTR Nitro Fueled, a fistful of fighting games like Blade Strangers and DOA, and some others like the Ratchet & Clank series, Code of Princess, Dragon Marked for Death, Jak & Daxter, the Shantae series, Zoids Battle Legends, the MegaMan Battle Network series, and others. I've got quite the colorful collection of games, many of which are rather obscure like Breath of Fire, Code of Princess, and Blade Strangers. I rather like the more obscure titles over the popular ones, as they feel more... special, and thus feel like underrated gems that people tend to ignore in favor of mainstream games like Mario. But I've got quite the colorful collection of games from various series and genres.

I'm a fan of sandbox/simulation/"social sim" stuff, personally. To preface that, no, I've never been able to get into Minecraft — but The Sims and Gmod are two that I get endless entertainment out of, and Tomodachi Life might be one of my most-played games of all time. I enjoyed the Animal Crossing series up to New Leaf too. Basically anything that gives me full freedom to screw around in, I'm interested!

Other than that, puzzle and rhythm games are my favorites. Pretty much every day in high school I was wasting hours of my life on ranked Puyo Puyo Tetris, osu!, and LLSIF, so you can usually just place a controller in my hands and I'll get the hang of 'em within a few seconds lol. Nowadays I play mostly Panel de Pon and some Taiko as well.

I also like turn-based RPGs and some VNs — I'm just kinda picky about which ones really click with me.

I have a fair few genres in my media cabinet. Most of which are RPGs like Breath of Fire, Dragon Quest, and Pokemon, but there are also platformers like the Crash Bandicoot and Spyro the Dragon series, a few monster raising/taming games from Digimon and Monster Rancher, one or two racing games like CTR Nitro Fueled, a fistful of fighting games like Blade Strangers and DOA, and some others like the Ratchet & Clank series, Code of Princess, Dragon Marked for Death, Jak & Daxter, the Shantae series, Zoids Battle Legends, the MegaMan Battle Network series, and others. I've got quite the colorful collection of games, many of which are rather obscure like Breath of Fire, Code of Princess, and Blade Strangers. I rather like the more obscure titles over the popular ones, as they feel more... special, and thus feel like underrated gems that people tend to ignore in favor of mainstream games like Mario. But I've got quite the colorful collection of games from various series and genres.
oooh, dragon quest is very based. do you have a favorite installation in the series?
i also like mmbn and breath of fire!!

I'm a fan of sandbox/simulation/"social sim" stuff, personally. To preface that, no, I've never been able to get into Minecraft — but The Sims and Gmod are two that I get endless entertainment out of, and Tomodachi Life might be one of my most-played games of all time. I enjoyed the Animal Crossing series up to New Leaf too. Basically anything that gives me full freedom to screw around in, I'm interested!

Other than that, puzzle and rhythm games are my favorites. Pretty much every day in high school I was wasting hours of my life on ranked Puyo Puyo Tetris, osu!, and LLSIF, so you can usually just place a controller in my hands and I'll get the hang of 'em within a few seconds lol. Nowadays I play mostly Panel de Pon and some Taiko as well.

I also like turn-based RPGs and some VNs — I'm just kinda picky about which ones really click with me.
animal crossing: city folk was my first ever video game >< and i honestly never got into minecraft either...
i probably have 800ish hours on tomodachi life. that game possessed me during fourth grade and didn't let go for three years.

oooh, dragon quest is very based. do you have a favorite installation in the series?
i also like mmbn and breath of fire!!

Dragon Quest 8, hands down. Love the main cast and especially loved the additions of Morrie and Red in the 3DS version (and the option to marry Jessica was a real treat). The rest are generally hit-or-miss with me. Dragon Quest 11 is also pretty good, though I don't care for the Third Act (post-game) of the story since it undoes all the character development the cast goes through just to save the annoying Veronica. ...God I hated that midget. So loud and annoying. Her dying in the Second Act was a blessing to me.

Wow. You actually know about Breath of Fire? Its such an obscure series compared to more mainstream RPGs like Final Fantasy and the aforementioned Dragon Quest. It's actually quite rare for me to meet anyone who even knows the series existed without me mentioning it to them. It's probably my favorite RPG series, with Breath of Fire 3 being my all-time favorite game. I love how diverse the various races are, the overall lore, the references to other games (both BoF and other Capcom games), and how the first three games are part of the same timeline. And I'm a huge dragon nerd and got a thing for winged women (or at least women with the Wind element like Kagura from Inuyasha), so the various Ryus and Ninas are top-tier characters to me. Though I try to forget that Breath of Fire 5 and the mobile trash that had the audacity to call itself Breath of Fire 6 exist, given how they destroyed the franchise. I wish Capcom would remaster the series, give the the Trials of Mana treatment (which is also another game I love), or do something to bring it back from the ashes, as it's a very underrated gem of a series. But wow, it's quite rare for me to meet another Breath of Fire fan, given how it's faded into obscurity and got buried under all the other RPGs out there. Quite the treat, really.

Dragon Quest 8, hands down. Love the main cast and especially loved the additions of Morrie and Red in the 3DS version (and the option to marry Jessica was a real treat). The rest are generally hit-or-miss with me. Dragon Quest 11 is also pretty good, though I don't care for the Third Act (post-game) of the story since it undoes all the character development the cast goes through just to save the annoying Veronica. ...God I hated that midget. So loud and annoying. Her dying in the Second Act was a blessing to me.

Wow. You actually know about Breath of Fire? Its such an obscure series compared to more mainstream RPGs like Final Fantasy and the aforementioned Dragon Quest. It's actually quite rare for me to meet anyone who even knows the series existed without me mentioning it to them. It's probably my favorite RPG series, with Breath of Fire 3 being my all-time favorite game. I love how diverse the various races are, the overall lore, the references to other games (both BoF and other Capcom games), and how the first three games are part of the same timeline. And I'm a huge dragon nerd and got a thing for winged women (or at least women with the Wind element like Kagura from Inuyasha), so the various Ryus and Ninas are top-tier characters to me. Though I try to forget that Breath of Fire 5 and the mobile trash that had the audacity to call itself Breath of Fire 6 exist, given how they destroyed the franchise. I wish Capcom would remaster the series, give the the Trials of Mana treatment (which is also another game I love), or do something to bring it back from the ashes, as it's a very underrated gem of a series. But wow, it's quite rare for me to meet another Breath of Fire fan, given how it's faded into obscurity and got buried under all the other RPGs out there. Quite the treat, really.
8 is my favorite too! yeah, veronica is pretty annoying. in my last playthrough i actually chose at the end of act 2 not to go back in time; i think it's almost a better ending in the way that it keeps the development all the characters went through. especially erik and serena, imo.
breath of fire is a really awesome series (at least the first three are lmao). really great taste! i think katt is my personal favorite character, i love her design ^^ (and a lot of designs from that series lmao). i would also like to see it come back as long as it's treated with the love and respect it deserves. it and darkstalkers are two of the series i most want reboots of as of right now (alongside the mother/earthbound series)

Platformers! I just love deftly leaping around obstacle courses and seeing what new ways characters can interact with their enviroments even though everything is built around the basic act of jumping. I usually play Kirby, Mario, and Sonic, but I've tried a whole bunch.

i love jrpgs!! do you have any favorites in particular?
i haven't played many hack and slashers, which is definitely something i want to rectify, but i love the devil may cry and bayonetta series ^^

uh. a lot. LOL. discounting pokemon since that would be an obvious one:

• dragon quest viii
  • dragon quest xi s
  • devil may cry (only really played up to 3 though, havent played much of 4 or 5)
  • nier: automata
  • final fantasy xiv
  • final fantasy x
  • final fantasy x-2
  • chrono trigger
  • the entire xenosaga trilogy
  • okami is neither a jrpg or a hack and slasher but as an action-adventure it's amazing and one of the games that left a permanently good impression on me.
  • zone of the enders as well as its sequel: zone of the enders: the 2nd runner are REALLY good hack and slashers imo but idk if they have.... aged well to this day, so to speak. been years since i've played them but every time i have it's been a blast.

Back
Top Bottom