• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Favorite genre of game?

uh. a lot. LOL. discounting pokemon since that would be an obvious one:

• dragon quest viii
  • dragon quest xi s
  • devil may cry (only really played up to 3 though, havent played much of 4 or 5)
  • nier: automata
  • final fantasy xiv
  • final fantasy x
  • final fantasy x-2
  • chrono trigger
  • the entire xenosaga trilogy
  • okami is neither a jrpg or a hack and slasher but as an action-adventure it's amazing and one of the games that left a permanently good impression on me.
  • zone of the enders as well as its sequel: zone of the enders: the 2nd runner are REALLY good hack and slashers imo but idk if they have.... aged well to this day, so to speak. been years since i've played them but every time i have it's been a blast.
i just bought nier, funny you mention it! i haven't been able to play it yet, but i got lucky enough to be able to go into it spoiler free ><
i love dragon quest and those are my favorite games in the series. do you have any favorite characters? i think mine are jessica and erik respectively
i also love chrono trigger, one of my favorite classic games ^^
i have never played xenosaga but xenoblade are some of my favorite games of all time so i would love to try it sometime!

I like think life sims like The Sims and Animal Crossing are my top favorite. I hadn't played a game that had fit "me" as much until I played Animal Crossing over two decades ago. It's hard to put into words as to why. It probably has something to do with the focus on creativity as opposed to action. But I also like the social aspects of Animal Crossing and playing families/single sims/etc in The Sims games.

i just bought nier, funny you mention it! i haven't been able to play it yet, but i got lucky enough to be able to go into it spoiler free ><

i hope you like it! it's so good of a game that it motivated me to try out its prequel: nier replicant! not going to really say much else here since you want to avoid spoilers but.... man, it's just such a good game.

i love dragon quest and those are my favorite games in the series. do you have any favorite characters? i think mine are jessica and erik respectively
man, this is actually kinda hard!

i think from 8, it has to be yangus. i can't get over his funny accent and not only that, from my experiences playing 8 he hits like a truck (which yeah, he's kinda supposed to). i think i generally gravitate to his kinda goofy personality.

from 11... it's a tie between jade and slyvando.

i think it goes without saying that she has went through a LOT. from the beginning of the game when she has lost the hero as a baby in a river, to fighting for his life against mordegon and his goons, it's clear that she has gone through a lot of pain and then some. not only that, but she has cemented herself as the clear badass of the group from the get-go. she just radiates cool, what more reason could i need?

this is more for story reasons, but i really like that sylvando is a much more deep character than one would give him credit for. when part 2 happens and mordegon starts wiping out erdrea, we see it was sylvando who was really struggling at first with how to proceed with everything. with all of his allies nowhere to be found, the world in a dreary state, hopelessness and crime rapant everywhere as everyone struggles to survive, it was sylvando who came up with the very idea of wanting to make the world a better place by making everyone smile. he was the very person that taught the lesson to many that even though things may seem hopeless, there's still and always will be light at the end of the tunnel.

but yet, he comes upon a realisation of sorts, and he admits this when visiting his father: until he defeats mordegon, he can't truly restore smiles to everyone in the world. he's just a guy who wants to make people genuinely happy. the laughter and entertainment is a surface level aspect of him, but there's so much depth to him once you really analyze his character and see what he went through.

i also love chrono trigger, one of my favorite classic games ^^

right?? thinking of replaying it once i have a spare moment to, but that might not be for a while.

i have never played xenosaga but xenoblade are some of my favorite games of all time so i would love to try it sometime!

a word of warning that xenosaga is a really old game. like, ps2 era. unfortunately, it never really so much as got ported to any other modern system, so you'll have to look for... alternative ways to play it, but i think regardless of how you go about with it, it's worth playing through all three games. 1 is a gem, 2 is... less liked among the xenosaga fanbase and viewed as a weak entry, but 3 closes out the trilogy amazingly. it has great characters, a good battle system (unless you're playing 2 for the most part. i'm personally used to it, but it's not everyone's cup of tea), and a great story. it's one of those games that has stuck with me for years after i've played it.

I'm a fan of sandbox/simulation/"social sim" stuff, personally. To preface that, no, I've never been able to get into Minecraft — but The Sims and Gmod are two that I get endless entertainment out of, and Tomodachi Life might be one of my most-played games of all time. I enjoyed the Animal Crossing series up to New Leaf too. Basically anything that gives me full freedom to screw around in, I'm interested!
Quoting my own post to say: I knew there was a game I was forgetting to mention here, and that's Scribblenauts. I'm almost certain the Scribblenauts series was what got me hooked on these kinds of sandbox games to begin with, because I remember playing the first two games constantly back in the day. I even went and revisited Unlimited recently and still had a lot of fun.

Looking at all of these next to each other, I guess I just really enjoy games that allow me to be creative and experiment with stuff at my own pace (especially if sometimes those experiments are dumb and pointless and involve a lot of fire).

i probably have 800ish hours on tomodachi life. that game possessed me during fourth grade and didn't let go for three years.
oh man, honestly 800 sounds totally reasonable to me for this game LOL. Somethin' about it really can possess you.
I'm actually not sure how many hours I have on TL in total, since my original 3DS died a while ago... but considering I first played it on release day when I was 11, and I'm still playing it now at 20, I'm not sure I wanna know :confused:

loooove puzzle games. lately i've been playing the jupiter picross s games and they're such a joy! puyo puyo tetris is a perennial favorite of mine as well. i will also count super monkey ball as a puzzle game series as well. love it

visual novels are my favorite genre in general, they're so unique! haven't done much reading lately but my favorite has always been and will always be a little-known one called 'harvest december'. 'please be happy' is another cute one, it's a female-protag one which is sometimes hard to find in the vn industry! so it makes me happy to feel represented lol.

thanks to a very sweet gift from my amazing subway master of a big sister, i've been getting back into rhythm games with djmax v. it's quite fun! i love how the maps feel built for controllers perfectly, which is something many mania clones don't get right at all. i also love the project diva games! and taiko but taiko is sometimes a pain to play with drum lol

Last edited:
Quoting my own post to say: I knew there was a game I was forgetting to mention here, and that's Scribblenauts. I'm almost certain the Scribblenauts series was what got me hooked on these kinds of sandbox games to begin with, because I remember playing the first two games constantly back in the day. I even went and revisited Unlimited recently and still had a lot of fun.

Looking at all of these next to each other, I guess I just really enjoy games that allow me to be creative and experiment with stuff at my own pace (especially if sometimes those experiments are dumb and pointless and involve a lot of fire).

oh man, honestly 800 sounds totally reasonable to me for this game LOL. Somethin' about it really can possess you.
I'm actually not sure how many hours I have on TL in total, since my original 3DS died a while ago... but considering I first played it on release day when I was 11, and I'm still playing it now at 20, I'm not sure I wanna know :confused:
holy s- i played it on release day too!! preordered and everything- (same with miitopia actually)
i never played scribblenauts but one of my friends would always play it on the school bus every morning and i loved watching him ^^

loooove puzzle games. lately i've been playing the jupiter picross s games and they're such a joy! puyo puyo tetris is a perennial favorite of mine as well. i will also count super monkey ball as a puzzle game series as well. love it

visual novels are my favorite genre in general, they're so unique! haven't done much reading lately but my favorite has always been and will always be a little-known one called 'harvest december'. 'please be happy' is another cute one, it's a female-protag one which is sometimes hard to find in the vn industry! so it makes me happy to feel represented lol.

thanks to a very sweet gift from my amazing subway master of a big sister, i've been getting back into rhythm games with djmax v. it's quite fun! i love how the maps feel built for controllers perfectly, which is something many mania clones don't get right at all. i also love the project diva games! and taiko but taiko is sometimes a pain to play with drum lol
vns with fem protags or at LEAST fem protag options are absolute blessings.
i remember super monkey ball!! i actually heard of it through sonic racing when i was about five >< and this is the first time in a LONG while i've heard it come up but i loved it a lot when i was younger!
i really love miku and i think rhythm games are a lot of fun even if i haven't played many, so i think i would love project diva if i were ever to give it a shot ><

Real big fan of simulation games, rpgs, fighting games, and platformers, especially really hard ones for the latter. I like games with a challenge, but I also like games to just chill in to escape reality, like Minecraft or Animal Crossing

Real big fan of simulation games, rpgs, fighting games, and platformers, especially really hard ones for the latter. I like games with a challenge, but I also like games to just chill in to escape reality, like Minecraft or Animal Crossing
ohh, animal crossing: city folk was the first video game i ever played, back when i was 3. which ones have you played? i havent spent as much time with the series as i used to, sadly, but i still do love them all
also i heard "fighting games".... me too! which ones do you play? for scientific purposes of course

For Animal Crossing, I've played New Horizons, and tried the original on Dolphin.

As for fighting games, I mainly play Smash Ultimate, but I've been trying to branch out my fighting game options.

For Animal Crossing, I've played New Horizons, and tried the original on Dolphin.

As for fighting games, I mainly play Smash Ultimate, but I've been trying to branch out my fighting game options.
lmao i bought a switch in the first place just for horizons- i think ive spent the most time on new leaf, i must have thousands of hours with it by now.
ssbu is a lot of fun! who do you play?

This is always a really tough question for me because there are a lot of different pieces of different genres that I enjoy.

For example, I love the sense of progression that Metroidvanias give, what with finding new items and tools and keys to open more paths and doors. But, I hate having to backtrack a lot of the time, and it can be particularly tedious because Metroidvanias hate fast travel for some reason.

I often like the gameplay loop of roguelites/roguelikes, where every single run feels new while still feeling familiar, and the gameplay loop of finding a bunch of new items/weapons/tools & figuring out which are the best & which aren't. But I'm not very good at the actual gameplay itself; it takes some time to get used to the combat a lot of the time.

I love the stories in JRPGs; they're often high-stakes, "heroes vs villains" archetype, with lots of twists and turns (some doing it better than others). But, turn based combat can sometimes feel a bit archaic to me, and action-RPGs kinda feel like"turn based combat but dumbed down due to the presence of an 'attack' button" a lot of the time.

I think if I had to pick one genre that I tend to enjoy regardless, it's strategy RPGs/tactical games; think Final Fantasy Tactics, or Fire Emblem. It's got that sense of progression through growing armies and gaining units and watching them grow and level up, the "fresh but familiar" feeling with increasing complexity through concepts like fog of war, high ground, terrain bonus, etc, and those high stakes stories that make up the best of JRPGs.

Don't think I mentioned this last time, but I love visual novels too, they're fun and engaging. Also I agree with Vaati, racing games are fun, and the arcade ones are really immersive, especially if they have the whole pedals and steering wheel type thing.

RPGs for sure. But I'm also a huge fan of rhythm games like Rhythm Heaven and Ouendan / Elite Beat Agents.

rpgs without a doubt. i also love life sim type games, specifically animal crossing and stardew valley... but the general rule is that if there's no overarching story and i can't wander around, it's unlikely that i play it. pokémon mainline games, breath of the wild/tears of the kingdom, and undertale/deltarune are probably my top games... vns can be pretty good for me too! like ace attorney and the house in fata morgana specifically. i actually don't play that many games in general though because i am super picky and have an awful attention span.

rpgs without a doubt. i also love life sim type games, specifically animal crossing and stardew valley... but the general rule is that if there's no overarching story and i can't wander around, it's unlikely that i play it. pokémon mainline games, breath of the wild/tears of the kingdom, and undertale/deltarune are probably my top games... vns can be pretty good for me too! like ace attorney and the house in fata morgana specifically. i actually don't play that many games in general though because i am super picky and have an awful attention span.
OHHH fellow sdv playeeer....,, what's your favorite thing to do in that game?
AND GYAKUTEN SAIBAN!!! do you have a favorite aa game? mine is trials and tribulations bc im basic lol but im a big fan of dual destinies and the tgaa/dgs duology as well

OHHH fellow sdv playeeer....,, what's your favorite thing to do in that game?
AND GYAKUTEN SAIBAN!!! do you have a favorite aa game? mine is trials and tribulations bc im basic lol but im a big fan of dual destinies and the tgaa/dgs duology as well
sdv is proooobably romancing lol........ i got a mod that allows you to romance the wizard and i'm obsessed with him? i also just like befriending the townspeople in general though. i like getting little glances into their worlds even if the dialogue repeats 9000 times... how about you though there's sooo much to do
i don't think i have a favourite aa game honestly,, it's been about 3 years since i played and i've forgotten basically everything? the case that sticks out the most clearly in my memory is the police corruption case so whichever game that is from is probably my favourite. i really liked the ones where edgeworth started working together with phoenix rather than against him. i played a little bit of the great ace attorney, i think i finished the first game or was close to it? and i really liked that one as well too! it genuinely looks so cool, i think even neater than the original games, and the characters are all so fun and full of life... maybe i prefer tgaa honestly!

Back
Top Bottom