• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Favorite/least favorite Evil Team

Favorite---Galactic, especially Cyrus. I did a video on why I like him so much, a character analysis, and it was over an hour long. I had a LOT to say.

Least---Plasma and Flare. I don't know WHY everyone likes Plasma so much when they don't make any sense by the rules of the established world, and Flare was just Galactic's cutting room floor.

As far as Macro Cosmos being a non-entity, they were everywhere. We don't see them very much in the flesh but they're everywhere--they have a stranglehold on the Galar economy. Rose seemed to be the only member with a moral compass even though it was a completely bizarre set of morality, and with him gone, they're free to do whatever they want. They're not even slowed down by his arrest.

I also like how villains are switching up lately. As mentioned above, Rose and Macro Cosmos didn't have much to do with each other, even though he was their chairman. Then they've done entirely unaffiliated villains like Volo and the Paldea professors (who've got their own fascinating twists on top of that).

Favorites

Team Plasma - Simply put, they have an actual interesting plan compared to many of the others. They actually try to convince people that separating pokemon and people it’s a good idea and for the first time in the pokemon world someone stops to question how things work and if they should continue living like that, even if it was a fabricated philosophy by Ghetsis to get control of everything. N and some of his followers truly believed it and that adds a layer of thought to the pokemon world. N defeating the champion was an interesting story choice that makes the world more connected rather than having gym leaders and the like completely existing without acknowledging each other. N’s Castle popping behind the pokemon league is one my top most surprising moments in the pokemon games and their theme is great.

Aether Foundation - I loved the white sci-fi futuristic building & uniforms. A so called foundation that is helping pokemon while doing questionable experiments behind the scenes is a really cool concept. Not to mention that in comparison to most evil leaders, Lusamine’s character was more fleshed out and explored. I was so happy when I first saw their logo on my screen at the start of the battle, amazing theme btw.

Cipher - I think it was very interesting how they infiltrated science, news & politics. I got the feeling they were always lurking. Their costumes are my favorite and their theme is legendary. Plus the concept of shadow pokemon was really cool, but not without thought. Those poor pokemon had their hearts closed and attacked themselves when spending too much time in battle and I think this plays to some of the core of pokemon as a whole. Yes, catching and training pokemon to be the best trainer is great, but doing so in a corrupted manner will inevitably hurt the pokemon.

Least favorite:

Yell - They are a nothing burger. This could’ve been a lot better if Marnie was the one calling the shots and sending her goons to stop you in order to get ahead, but she is just upset at them for doing so. So there’s no real conflict going on other than them being annoying roadblocks.

Star - Don’t like their aesthetic other than their cars. The leader is lame and they barely did anything to make the school administrators or people believe they were a problem. Also, why would the player agree on disbanding them with no proof of wrongdoing? It’s just stupid. Other than that student they are trying to convince to join them at the beginning of the game I fail to see how they pose any sort of threat. Their bases are an afterthought and the battles against the grunts were unbelievably easy.

Skull - The only thing I liked about them was that they ended up as pawns for the Aether foundation. It was interesting that they took over Po Town, but most of the time they were just disposable roadblocks who didn’t add much to the plot.

Favorite: I think it's a nice thematic tie between Team Aqua and Team Magma. They're iconic, genuine threats, have real cool outfits and most of their leaders and admins are iconic to me.

Least Favorite: Hmmmm... I suppose I'll say Team Yell. Feel like they're the bare minimum in comparison to the others.

My favorites are probably Rocket and Plasma. As for my lease favorite... not sure. Guess Yell, by process of elimination.
Aether Foundation - I loved the white sci-fi futuristic building & uniforms. A so called foundation that is helping pokemon while doing questionable experiments behind the scenes is a really cool concept. Not to mention that in comparison to most evil leaders, Lusamine’s character was more fleshed out and explored. I was so happy when I first saw their logo on my screen at the start of the battle, amazing theme btw.
Aether Foundation is not an evil team. Sure they had some shady activities, but mostly they are a genuinely well-meaning organization.

My favorites are probably Rocket and Plasma. As for my lease favorite... not sure. Guess Yell, by process of elimination.

Aether Foundation is not an evil team. Sure they had some shady activities, but mostly they are a genuinely well-meaning organization.
They are still a primary antagonist and roadblock for the player in the end. Their leader and admins, such as Lusamine & Faba, are certainly up to no good. When the player has to battle the aether employees & scientists the dialogue of some of them is ominous and while not all of them knew what was going on (and they do some good things as an organization) there are some that are certainly doing questionable experiments, so I don’t think all of them are completely innocent.

Last edited:
They are still a primary antagonist and roadblock for the player in the end. Their leader and admins, such as Lusamine & Faba, are certainly up to no good. When the player has to battle the aether employees & scientists the dialogue of some of them is ominous and while not all of them knew what was going on (and they do some good things as an organization) there are some that are certainly doing questionable experiments, so I don’t think all of them are completely innocent.
Oh, they most certainly aren't innocent, and Lusamine is plenty crazy in SM, but overall, it's not a malevolent organization at its core.

Oh, they most certainly aren't innocent, and Lusamine is plenty crazy in SM, but overall, it's not a malevolent organization at its core.
I always saw it as them simply doing their job. Some anyway. Like that one person who will heal your Pokemon. They will do that as many times as needed, if I recall.

tbf team star isn't exactly what i would call evil either
there is a difference between being evil and being antagonistic, and both star (for instance) as well as the aether foundation would classify as the latter regardless of their morality because they generally stand in the way of the player character
yes, you end up befriending team star; yes, there are helpful aether members like the employee in question, but the organizations themselves are still "against" the mc

i'm not attacking or praising either one, it's just... how it is
that being said, aether is not, at least, a major evil team; skull is still the "main" one of the game albeit not the true antagonist

tbf team star isn't exactly what i would call evil either
there is a difference between being evil and being antagonistic, and both star (for instance) as well as the aether foundation would classify as the latter regardless of their morality because they generally stand in the way of the player character
yes, you end up befriending team star; yes, there are helpful aether members like the employee in question, but the organizations themselves are still "against" the mc

i'm not attacking or praising either one, it's just... how it is
that being said, aether is not, at least, a major evil team; skull is still the "main" one of the game albeit not the true antagonist
Team Star were just defending themselves from an invader. From their perspective, we are the enemy (albeit not an evil, malicious person). Heck, if things were different, they could be friends with the MC.

my favourites are probably team Aqua and Magma, mostly cuz of pokspe
the whole race to the sea cavern thing was so cool!! their interactions each other, their teams, and with the portages were amazing. COURTNEY!! idk about her in everything else but her here was perfect, helping Ruby and her ending was so nice. Archie and Maxie are so maniacal. Also the Guile hideout reveal scene was an actual jump scare for me. anyways if you can't tell by now I love pokspe.

my least faves are probably team yell just because they don't really do much, like they just block the road and force you to battle and make noise and sorta just exist? well yea they didn't really have that much purpose to me other than being an annoying fan club.

My favourite is skull because I thought they were a really creative team and their dialogue is consistently HILARIOUS

Maybe a hot take but I don't like plasma very much. I thought they were kinda boring and really didn't like how their whole plot ended with the Ghetsis stuff

I get what everyone means when they said that the Aether Foundation aren’t evil, but as far as Antagonistic groups go, they are one of my favorites. I say they are antagonists, because like someone else said, they oppose the MC at a certain point in the game.

Another vote for Team Rocket, simply because they can be as comical or as dangerous as you want them to be. They are certainly capable of being dangerous, and I have seen them run the gamut from comic goofballs (not necessarily Jessie, James, and Meowth, but they would be on this end of the spectrum) to world destroying threats on par with Galactic or Plasma.

Least favorite wise, Yell just barely edges Team Star--I will give Team Star credit for putting up a challenge, even if their storyline is underwhelming. Team Yell you could cut completely out of Sword/Shield, and the story could still work.

Back
Top Bottom