• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Favorite Male Player Character Design

Which Male Player Character Design is your Favorite?

• Red (Original or FRLG)

• Ethan (Original or HGSS)

• Brendan (Original, Emerald or ORAS)

• Lucas (Original or Platinum)

• Hilbert

• Nate

• Calem

• Sun (Original or USUM)

Results are only viewable after voting.
I’m going to say Brendan. It’s unique but he pulls it off. Gold is probably my least favorite. In his games he doesn’t look that good. It looks better when he’s Ethan but still not that great imo. The rest are pretty generic so I don’t have too many problems with them.

Top Choice: Lucas (Platinum)
Boi be classy lookin. I dig his hat and scarf it's adorable.

Runner Up: Calem/Hilbert
They look good in blues, plain as their designs may be. The blues are what push them past Red and Ethan for me.

Least Favorite: NATE
I loathe the bodysuits the B2/W2 protagonists have under their clothes. But what takes the cake with Nate is that hairstyle and hat combo. Son looks like he's wearing one of those fake hair visor hats and that is a sin even someone as fashion-failing as I cannot forgive. His shorts also feel a little too big for me when it comes to how wide they are on the bottom.

Dishonerable Mention to Ultra Sun for also having big shorts and what looks like hippo nose shoes. :p

Hilbert overall. Overall great look and balance in his design. He and Hilda were by far the best designed protags in the main games imho.

Second goes to Brendan's Emerald look. He rocked the combo even though it (and the original R/S look) did raise a few questions about him during the time since Hoenn was supposed to be a pretty tropical place. That change was addressed in ORAS and while it was a nice look, had nothing on his Emerald appearance.

A personal nod goes to Nate whose design just so blatantly screamed "shounen protag" and I loved it!

I'd have to go with Lucas and Sun, only because I have played as them throughout the entire game. The same goes for Red and Gold, but I can only choose two. XD

My favorite is definitely Hilbert. Gold and Lucas (Plat) are close runners-up.

Brendan is my favorite and Lucas is the runner up.

The reason is simple; their hats are swag. Seriously, almost every other dude was just rocking a generic baseball cap. Brendan and Lucas are of the few with some style going on with their knit cap and beret. The rest of the outfits are nice as well, but the unique hats just make them stand out for me.

Red and Touya are my favorites since they look like they're ready to take on the world

Spr_B2W2_Red.png
Spr_B2W2_Hilbert.png

Can't really say I have any I'm not a fan of though
They all have their own charm

Hilbert's design nabs first. Simple, yet effective. Cute, yet capable. Combines fluffy hair with the air of a quiet, focused strategist. Black/White in general had the best protags design-wise. Platinum Lucas is the runner-up for looking super classy in that flat cap/scarf/jacket combo.

Honorable mention goes to ORAS Brendan's contest wear, but he doesn't wear that outfit all that much. Oh, and to Wes too for being a notably "morally flexible"-looking protagonist... but he's not in the main series. Would be fun to see a cameo of an AU version of him, though.

Least favorite? Like how Dawn's look is ill-suited for the weather of her region, SM Sun loses points for having rather stuffy-looking cuffed sweat-shorts in Alola. Fortunately, his USUM shorts are much breezier.

Nate and Lucas are my favorites.

I like Nate’s sporty look and his unique hair. He stands out from the others, and I get an immediate sense of character from him. His gear all looks stylish as well.

(Platinum) Lucas appeals for similar reasons. His clothes are fairly unique to him, namely with the cap and the scarf, but I also love the black pants. They’re very much my style. All in all, his design is pretty cool and sleek, with a nice color scheme.

My least-favorite is HGSS Ethan. It’s a shame, because GSC Ethan was pretty cool, but the HGSS version downplays all of the colors, flattens his fringe, makes his body look weirdly atrophied, and gets rid of the fierce expression he used to have. I don’t really like it at all.

My favorite goes to Hilbert, followed closely by Sun (the SM version). Their designs appeal to me the most, simply enough.

Original Red and Original Brendan. Red because it's just really cool. Also I love all the art that depicts him with Red eyes. I know it's not really canon but it really suits him. It's just a super solid design. Brendan because the first time I saw him I literally squeled. 14 year old me went crazy. He was super adorable. I think that was the first time I willingly chose the boy character in a Pokemon game (when I didn't have to).

When BW were announced there was a lot of hype over the PC’s outfits because arguably, for the first time, they were dressed like real kids/teens in that era. There was nothing drastic or over the top about them like there would be previously. Hilbert is easily my favorite looking male PC. Of course this is no longer an issue with customization, but at the time he was a fan favorite for design.

15085567_1136308429738205_139860961347107681_n.jpg

Sun and Moon! Because I have cornrows in real life and I appreciate that for once they added a Black hairstyle for character customization. I also appreciate the additional skin tone options. I literally had people ask me why I didn't make my character black in XY despite picking the darkest tone. lol

The outfit Gold wore in the gen 2 games was the only outfit aside from Reds that I would have actually worn when I was their age. For that reason and that reason only, I chose Gen 2's outfit.

I'll always have a special level of fondness for Hilbert. He was one of the PCs from my absolute favorite generation, and he actually looks enough like me that he ended up being my first cosplay!

Hilbert, I really like him for his simplistic, yet effective design. In general, I have to agree that BW had the best protagonist designs overall, they complement each other and look good on their own.

Favorite: Hilbert
This guy just screams "Pokemon trainer" when you look at him. He looks so calm and confident.

Least Favorite: Brendan
Just what is that hat? It looks ridiculous.

I had no idea Hilbert was going to be everyone’s favorite going into this! He’s my favorite too. No weird shorts/jacket combo that makes no sense, just a nice puffy jacket and nice puffy pants. And nice puffy hair.

Least favorite has to be Brendan. First and foremost, I’ve never been clear on whether that’s hair or a hat on top of his head. If it’s his hair, then that’s ridiculous, and if it’s a hat... that’s a ridiculous hat. Besides that, his clothes look like they’re made of polyester, so no thanks.

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom