• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Favorite Mega?

What is your favorite Mega evolution?

• None of them stand out to me

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I love them all

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • I hate them all

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Venusaur

• Blastoise

• Charizard Y

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • Charizard X

Votes: 5 10.6%
  • Beedrill

• Pigetot

Votes: 4 8.5%
  • Alakazam

• Slowbro

• Gengar

Votes: 5 10.6%
  • Kangaskhan

• Gyrados

• Pinsir

• Areodactyl

• Mewtwo X

• Mewtwo Y

• Ampharos

• Steelix

• Scizor

• Heracross

• Houndoom

• Tyrantaur

• Sceptile

• Blaziken

• Swampert

• Gardevoir

• Mawile

• Sableye

• Aggron

• Medicham

• Sharpedo

• Manectric

• Camerupt

• Altaria

• Bannete

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • Absol

• Glalie

• Salemence

• Metagross

• Latias

• Latios

• Rayquaza

• Lopunny

• Garchomp

• Lucario

• Abomasnow

• Gallade

• Audino

• Diancie

• Total voters
Reaction score
What Mega evolution do you like the most? In the poll, I will include the options of “I love them all” “I hate them all” and “None of them stand out to me” just for variety. Thanks in advance for responding!

Mega Charizard X.

Homie finally became a dragon-type and got some dope ass colors too.

I also really like Venusaur, Blastoise, Gengar, Aerodactyl, Scizor, Houndoom, Tyranitar, Sceptile, Blaziken, Swampert, Gardevoir, Manectric, Altaria, Salamence, Metagross, RayRay, Lopunny, Garchomp and Lucario but Zard X is just top dog here.

Charizard X. Sue me. It actually is really fucking cool.

I suppose I’ll sort the rest into four general categories.

- Pidgeot (that touch of blue really pops)
- Gyarados
- Blaziken
- Medicham
- Manectric
- Glalie
- Lucario

- Venusaur
- Charizard Y
- Beedrill
- Kangaskhan
- Mewtwo X (a big part of my reasoning for this one is just how much of a weird curveball it is)
- Ampharos
- Houndoom
- Gardevoir
- Sableye
- Mawile
- Aggron
- Banette
- Rayquaza
- Lopunny
- Garchomp
- Audino (still not quite sure why it exists though)

- Slowbro (it’s an obvious gag, but hey, it works)
- Gengar
- Steelix
- Heracross
- Tyranitar
- Sharpedo
- Altaria
- Absol
- Salamence
- You didn't ask, but Primal Kyogre and Groudon
- Abomasnow
- Gallade
- You also didn’t ask, but Ash-Greninja
- Diancie

- Blastoise
- Alakazam
- Pinsir
- Aerodactyl
- Mewtwo Y (what's with the big bean toes?)
- Scizor
- Sceptile (way too busy)
- Swampert (way too beefcake)
- Camerupt
- Metagross
- Latias
- Latios

Last edited:
Mega Ampharos is my favorite of all Megas. A silly awesome sheep dragon with an elegant hairdo and and a wooly gemstone tail. A wonderful upgrade to what was already my favorite electric type pokemon!

There are many others I liked, but Amphy stands out the most to me.

My top 5 is:
  1. Rayquaza: I had low hopes since the normal design is amazing, so when it was revealed and it turned out to be even better I was ecstatic. The black accents, the triangle mandible and the Asian Dragon mustache work extremely well.
  2. Heracross: I like his bulky look and how they tried to do something different, I don't get the hate for it. I like the colors in the artwork.
  3. Swampert: Again, making it bulky was a great choice and the result is kinda cute.
  4. Charizard Y: The details added make it look very cool but still recognizable as Charizard, as if it was a redesign. However I prefer the artwork to the model, because of the colors (seriously, give it a more reddish orange next time) and because it shows off the new details better.
  5. Gallade: I like the cape and the elbows, and how it's still recognizable as a knight with superhero details. The new colors are great.

X_Li%27l_Kanga_Mega_Kangaskhan.png
I think my biggest problem with a lot of Megas is that I find them overdesigned and too complex. Rather than go down that route, Mega Kangaskan is rather simple and I think its design works really well. I'm also a bit biased since I A) already liked Kangaskan as a Pokémon, and B) liked using one in Battle Spot Doubles somewhat successfully.

As for my Mega Evolution rankings:

A: Charizard-X/Y, Kangaskan, Houndoom, Tyranitar, Lopunny
B: Venusaur, Gengar, Ampharos, Mawile, Sableye, Aggron, Altaria, Audino
C: Blastoise, Beedrill, Pinsir, Gyarados, Scizor, Blaziken, Gardevoir, Banette, Absol, Salamence, Garchomp, Lucario, Gallade
D: Alakazam, Aerodactyl, Heracross, Medicham, Manetric, Latias, Latios, Abomasnow, Pidgeot, Slowbro, Steelix, Sceptile, Sharpedo, Camerupt, Diancie
F: Mewtwo-X/Y, Swampert, Glalie, Metagross, Rayquaza

Pinsir is my all-time favourite Pokémon, so even though Mega Pinsir has a relatively weak design it's still my top. Shame that even if it makes a reappearance in the series, it looks as though Return has gone for good. :/

Some other thoughts on individual designs:

Abomasnow - My favourite overall design, I love the walking artillery platform aesthetic. Bristling is the word.

Swampert - Close to perfection, but ruined by the ridiculous conceit that this thing could ever stand on two legs. If it was lumbering around on all fours, it would be a close second behind Pinsir.

Charizard X - If I'm not on record as hating species which are overtly 'designed' to very specifically appeal to younger sensibilities, I am now. 'Tryhard' is an overused word but my lord does it apply here, especially to the oh-so-kewl blue flame.

You know what, a two-fingered salute goes to all the Megas for already-powerful, already-popular species. Mega Lucario can get in the sea and give that slot to, I dunno, Wigglytuff.

Tyranitar - I love base Tyranitar. It's barbaric that his Mega is the result of someone tracing him on paper and just letting the pen squiggle a little further.

Megas didn't really catch my attention to much, except for the one in the story line (before Korrina gym battle) I didn't used them

via design, the only two that catch my attention a bit are MCY and Lucario
did vote for MCY, good enough in design, I even bought a plush
for MCX? looks to ugly coloring and over designed

I guess I'll post here for once
Okay, technically my profile lists Mega Banette, but I put it there primarily cuz Mega Sableye and Mega Mawile are like, the easiest answers in the whole world. So... discounting my favorite pair, that's my favorite Mega.

As for why Mega Banette is my (again, technical) favorite Mega; it takes a Pokemon I'm otherwise admittedly near-impartial to and, well, unzips everything that was implicit about it. Here, we have a mutant plush doll positively bursting in zippers; some unveiling to reveal a horrid magenta demon hell-bent on wreaking chaos on everything that wronged it.

Other Megas that I like in particular include: Mega Sharpedo, Mega Pinsir, and Mega Diancie, with the latter two I prefer over their base forms.

Last edited:
My favourites are Lucario and Latias/Latios, although that might be because those Pokemon were always among my favourites long before they were given Megas. As it happens, these are also the Megas that are given to you early on in XY and ORAS, which makes those games really fun for me to play through. Maybe the part that these Megas play in the story made them more appealing to me as well.

Others I really like: Charizard Y, Gyarados, Mewtwo Y (but I was a bit disappointed it didn't turn out to be Mewthree), Ampharos, Scizor, Aggron (a bit overdesigned but I like the synergy it has with Florges), Manectric, Pidgeot (why doesn't it flap its wings much, though?), Swampert (again, a bit overdesigned, but I've always had a soft spot for Swampert) and Gallade.

I'm not really a competitive player, but I did dabble in competitive in Gen 6 and had a lot of fun using Gyarados, Scizor and Aggron's Megas in Random Matchup battles.

As much as I love Megas, I'm not sure whether any of them really improved upon the designs of their base forms, apart from maybe Pidgeot, Gyarados, Ampharos and Manectric. Most of them look as good as the base forms, while a few (like Heracross and Glalie) look worse.

Last edited:
I picked Banette because they took an otherwise decent, but relatively boring concept and elevated it to one of my absolute favourite ghost-types. Generally I love most Megas, but I much prefer the ones that radically re-interpreted a Pokémon design (like Banette or Mawile) over the ones that just added some extra details (like Altaria, Lucario, Blaziken etc.), they're just much more unique and memorable that way.

As overexposed as it is, Charizard X is still my favourite. The black+blue colour scheme looks amazing, dragon is my favourite type and it improved Charizard’s competitive viability a lot. It also helps seeing it play a memorable role in the anime. I’ll also give a shout out to mega Gengar, Alakazam, Sceptile, Rayquaza and Lucario too.

Funnily enough looking back nowadays I’m not as fond of mega pokemon designs as much as I used to be. They look pretty overdesigned and some even feel uneccessary or hinder the base pokemon. Though I guess them being these unnatural versions of base pokemon is the whole point, and it’s explained in the lore.

I love Mega Pidgeot's design. It's the only one other than Mega Audino that I feel is an improvement over its base form.

I love nearly all of them, but Mega Altaria is my favorite. The new design is simple but positively adorable. Its new stats are extremely well balanced, and allow Altaria can take full advantage of an already fantastic movepool. Dragon Dance sets are more viable, Pixilate Hyper Voice is a-lot of fun, and gets a bunch of defensive utility like Cotton Guard, Roost, Heal Bell, etc. which all compliment that wonderful Dragon/Fairy Type. Lots of ways to play. Such a good 'mon. <3

Mega Altaria for me! Had so many positive experiences with it in Alpha Sapphire, as mine helped me win some Battle Maison battles when I needed some quick BP. Dragon/Fairy is a very unique type combination and Pixilate is also a really great ability.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom