• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Favorite Mono-Type Type?

herb

Reaction score
If you had to choose one type out of all 18 types to make a full team of 6 from, which one would you choose? Imagine you are in charge of a gym, in the Elite 4 or just generally a trainer with a love for one certain type (i.e. Bug Catcher or Fisherman). You could also list the team you would then use if you want to.

I'd personally go for a Dark Team. Not only is it among the strongest types but also definitely one of my favorites. The variation this type offers in my opinon is pretty good, even despite it not having as many Pokemon as a lot of other types.

I'd definitely do Ghost or Dark, as those two are my two most favorite types ever. Not only do I just love most of the Pokemon in those type groups, but because they're so mysterious and spooky. I love it. My team, if I was in the Elite Four/Gym Leader, would be this:
Ghost:
Banette
Mismagius
Froslass
Drifblim
Gourgeist
Chandelure

(Without legendaries, though, otherwise Banette would be replaced with Giratina.)
Dark:
Liepard
Zoroark
Honchkrow
Greninja
Houndoom
Malamar

(Once more without legendaries, otherwise Houndoom and Honchkrow would be replace with Darkrai and Yveltal.)

Either Ghost or Electric. Both are my two favorite types, and their low amount of weaknesses (Ghost to itself and Dark, Electric to only Ground) definitely help. Were I a Champion, my team for each would be...

GHOST
-Gengar
-Trevenant
-Froslass
-Chandelure
-Mismagius
-Cofagrigus

ELECTRIC
-Jolteon
-Electivire
-Magnezone
-Eelektross
-Raichu
-Galvantula

That reminds me: I need to try a monotype run at some point. Either Fairy in X or Ghost in White.

As for my own personal team, it would be Fairy or Water. Either Fairy because they're one of the friendliest types (yet unusually powerful) or Water because it's been one of my favorite types since the beginning. Also, Water's a pretty flexible element that can fit a lot of different kinds of people.

Fairy:
-Azumarill
-Togekiss
-Whimiscott
-Gardevoir (Probably a male one)
-Klefki
-Granbull

Water:
-Jellicent
-Azumarill (Again)
-Starmie
-Ludicolo/Cloyster
-Gastrodon
-Lanturn

My top 4:

Dark:
Honchkrow
Houndoom
Sharpedo
Weavile
Hydreigon
Tyranitar

Ground:
Flygon
Excadrill
Torterra
Swampert
Gliscor
Nidoking

Steel:
Aggron
Metagross
Empoleon
Klinklang
Magnezone
Ferrothorn

Ice:
Abomasnow
Froslass
Weavile (again)
Vanilluxe
Mamoswine
Walrein

Hm, I'll take Dark.

I'd go for Steel simply because it compliments so many types with its crazy resistance pool. You could slap Steel on nearly anything and it instantly becomes better and if the secondary type is something like Fighting or Fire you can simply use that for your offense. Water would be a close second because it also compliments many types well and there's a large selection of them.

Steel
Ferrothorn
Skarmory
Aegislash
Bisharp
Empoleon
Lucario (Mega)

Water
Tentacruel
Rotom Wash
Greninja
Azumarill
Gastrodon
Gyarados (Mega)

Dark because it's my favorite type. I already made a dark type team. It's in my signature.

Edit: I changed my signature and it's not there anymore, oops. :confused: It was Mega Houndoom, Malamar, Honchkrow, Bisharp, Drapion, and Spiritomb

Although if I had to pick a different type it would be either ghost or psychic because those are also some of my favorites. The teams would probably be something like this:

Ghost
Spiritomb
Cofagrigus
Chandelure
Jellicent
Golurk
Gengar

Psychic
Alakazam
Malamar
Delphox
Claydol
Meowstic
Beheeyem

I guess Alakazam and Gengar would both be mega since they're the only ones that can mega evolve.

Last edited:
I'd go with Dark, simply because Dark-types have the one of the best varieties when it comes to secondary-types, so you can still get other types at your whim (Cacturne, Sharpedo, and Houndoom comes to mind).

Last edited:
Water, Dark, and Ghost are my favorite types so probably just one of those. I like all the following to some degree or another:

Water:
Kingler
Starmie
Clawitzer
Ludicolo
Feraligatr
Octillery
Qwilfish
Sharpedo
Huntail
Jellicent (M)
Omastar
Barbaracle

Dark:
Murkrow (not fully evolved but it has prankster so it has uses over its evo)
Malamar
Sableye/Mega Sableye
Hydreigon
Cacturne
Sharpedo/Mega Sharpedo
Drapion

Ghost:
Drifblim
Mega Banette
Gourgeist
Sableye/Mega Sableye
Jellicent (M)
Golurk
Misdreavus (has physical bulk over its evo at least)

so yeah I have some stuff to choose from, for most types there would be less than like five per list lol

I'd run:

Grass

Venusaur
Whimsicott
Ferrothorn
Cradily
Ludicolo
Shiftry

Steel
Bisharp
Ferrothorn
Aegislash
Mawile
Klinklang
Metagross

I may have to make these teams....

Like a lot of the others here, I'd go with Dark, mostly cause most of my favs have that type. Grass is a close second for the same reason.

My teams would be:

Dark
Weavile
Zoroark
Hydreigon
Umbreon
Murkrow (I dislike its evo)
Scrafty

Grass
Serperior
Leafeon
Lilligant
Whimsicott
Maractus
Breloom

Really want to do a run with that Grass type team once.

Competitively, going completely mono-type isn't a good idea, but Dragon, Water or Steel would be the least problematic for that; even competitive gym leaders run one or two wildcards, and thus this whole thread isn't competitive.

Last edited:
Competitively, going completely mono-type isn't a good idea, but Dragon, water or Steel would be the least problematic for that; even competitive gym leaders run one or to wildcards, and thus this whole thread isn't competitive.

Well no, not in the slightest. But that was the intent of the thread. An "If you had to" situation. Purely for fun. Of course Mono type competitive teams are terrible.

I'd probably go with Water, initially. My other favorite is probably Steel.

Water:
Swampert
Empoleon
Sharpedo
Politoed
Vaporeon
Octillery
Wailord
Milotic
Tentacruel
Clawitzer
Poliwrath
Slowking
Starmie
Cloyster
Walrein
Dewgong
Gyarados
Lapras
Rotom Wash
Lanturn
Azumarill
Kingdra
Ludicolo
Pelipper
Crawdaunt
Jellicent
Barbaracle
Kabutops
Omastar
Kingler
Feraligatr
Blastoise
Greninja
Samurott

Too many good ones to choose from!

Dark
- Murkrow (you know, it can be very annoying with Prankster and Eviolite)
- Mega Houndoom (if used right, it'll be deadly. and kills bugs)
- Greninja (just because Protean is awesome)
- Drapion (resistant to bug, fighting and fairy <3)
- Hydreigon (immune to Drapion's only weakness)
- Weavile (kills most dragons which obviously kill everything)

Psychic
- Alakazam
- Reuniclus
- Bronzong
- Meowstic
- Starmie
- Delphox / Espeon

Last edited:
Grass

My Team:

-Meganium
-Ferrothorn
-Trevenant
-Whimsicott
-Breloom
-Venusaur (Mega)

Mine is Dragon.
Team:
Dragonite (Multiscale) - Dragon Rush, Iron Head, Fire Punch and Fly
Kingdra (Sniper) - Draco Meteor, Hydro Pump, Flash Cannon and Ice Beam
Mega Altaria (Pixilate) - Moonblast, Dragon Pulse, Iron Tail and Earthquake
Garchomp (Rough Skin) - Dragon Claw, Dig, Iron Head and Giga Impact
Shiny Haxorus (Mold Breaker) - Outrage, Iron Tail, Brick Break and Strength
Dragalge (Adaptability) - Dragon Pulse, Surf, Shadow Ball and Sludge Bomb

I've always been fond of Normal types, and you can probably guess my favorite.

-Noctowl
-Stoutland
-Miltank
-Ursaring
-Kecleon
-Snorlax

Narrowing it down to just 6 was pretty hard, there are a lot of good choices.

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom