• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Favorite Pokemon evolution episode?

Cybersai

Reaction score
What was your favorite episode for a Pokemon evolution?

Let's get Charmeleon/Charizard out of the way early, since I know everyone is going to choose that. But aside from that, what is your favorite?

I'd have to say:

- Chimchar evolving into Monferno during the 6 on 6 battle with Paul. Not only was it the perfect time for it to evolve, but it had a great backstory with Paul and the fact that it even lost after it evolved was something. You can't help but love the way Monferno evolved, especially with the animation and music that played during the evo sequence.

- Torchic evolving into Combusken. Back when early Hoenn was airing, nobody believed May's Torchic would evolve. Much in the same way Dawn and Piplup are now, people thought Torchic would remain small and cute with May forever. To actually see the writers evolve Torchic into Combusken, and especially into Blaziken, is something I never thought would happen. It also mirrored the development of its trainer and had some great battles, my only disappointment is the lack of screentime for Blaziken...as we only see it in two episodes.

Hassle in the Castle, when Brock's Zubat evolves. First off, it was an episode finally starring Zubat, who had done almost nothing beforehand. The dub had one of the greatest Team Rocket mottos ever ("It might finally stop all of Jessie's... complaining!"). And if I'm remembering correctly, it also featured a "Brock gets married" fantasy that cracked me up. XD I dunno, I just remember really liking the episode.

Also, The Totodile Duel. Y'know, when Ash and Misty have a battle to figure out which captured Totodile. And then Poliwag evolves. C'mon, it had the epic Pikachu vs. Togepi battle.

Plus the Mirage Kingdom two-parter. Finally, that egg grew some wings. And then ran off to another dimension to be ruler. Win. Featured lots of cute moments like May and Max meeting Misty, Max learning to ear pull, appearances by Shedinja and Ninjask, Team Rocket helping out the twerps anonymously, and the aforementioned craziness of both alternate dimensions and a random, backwards little kingdom in Hoenn that makes their leader find a Togepi before ruling for some reason.

I don't see the point in changing stuff like that, but I doubt it was that big of a deal; enough to ruin an evolution scene.
I haven't watched the ep yet, but I wouldn't underestimate the effects of changing music... the dub music ruined May's losing the Kanto Grand Festival for me.

Nidogod said:
I've always liked the episode in which Krabby evolved into Kingler.
That episode was hilarious. I loved the way they scripted that:

-As it's a Water field, Ash chooses to battle with Krabby.
-Misty says that's stupid, as Krabby's a weak Pokémon who has never battled before. We the audience agree.
-Ash insists on doing so anyway. We wait for Krabby to lose.
-Ash uses Krabby. Krabby, previously an absolute joke of a character, turns out to be a complete and utter badass.
-One story arc later, Ash uses Tauros against Drake for its first battle and mentions "beginner's luck". IIRC, Misty dissaproves again. And it works! Again!
-As Ash's character develops over the years, he would never even begin to think about using an inexperienced Pokémon in a League match. Which is hilarious in that it's worked multiple times before.

I don't know, I think it's a weird, funny commentary on how much the anime has changed when it comes to developed the Pokémon... and how much Ash got by on dumb luck back in the day. XD

I haven't watched the ep yet, but I wouldn't underestimate the effects of changing music... the dub music ruined May's losing the Kanto Grand Festival for me.

I recall the music during the crying scene being almost the same, unless I'm remembering incorrectly.

Wakashamo --> Bursyamo was amazing, just because it was just representative of how much Haruka grew during the season.
Also the contest battle between Haruka and Satoshi? FUCKING AWESOME.

Also, I loved Pigeot's evolution. That episode still brings tears to my eyes.

What else what else...
Hmm..

Gligar ---> Glion was great, Kingler just for the sheer awesome DEM aspect of it, and of course...

Hikozaru --> Moukazaru.
<3

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom