• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Favorite Pokemon Gender Differences

Juliyet

Formerly "Sheeer" | pfp by KTG | Sig art by Okido
Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. She/Her
Several Pokemon over the years have differences depending on the gender. These can range from the substantial like entirely different forms, moveset, stats, or evolutions, to the very subtle like slight size adjustments in horns, fangs, whiskers etc., or just a single extra pixel in Torchic's case

What are some you're fond of? It could range from anything drastic like the Nidos, to subtle like the gen 4 adjustments.

Of course I'm a huge sucker for Meowstic's, being my favorite Pokemon and all. I love how they both kinda invoke men and women's Parisian fashion. The male has a bit of suit thing going on, whilst the female has a dress and hair very reminiscent of a beret.
HOME0678.png HOME0678_f.png
Them having different learnsets with the male being more status focused, and female special focused is pretty rad too.

In terms of the more subtle ones, female Wobuffet's lipstick cracks me up.

Last edited:
I'm gonna try to list all of my preferences in this case:
  • Dodrio (male) because of the black necks.
  • Meganium (male) because of the longer antennae.
  • Heracross (male) because of the shape of its horn.
  • Sneasel (male) looks so much better than Sneasel (female) it isn't even funny. [Disagreements won't be accepted here]
  • Houndoom (male) because of the longer horns.
  • Cacturne (female) because of the bigger shaped rhombus.
  • Milotic (female) because of the longer hair.
  • Mamoswine (male) because of the bigger tusks.
  • Abomasnow (female) because of the longer fur.
  • Jellicent (male) because to me it just looks overall better.
  • ^ Same for Meowstic (female).

Hippowdon because it the female version jumpscares people into thinking it's shiny.
I was one of those people who got jumpscared, heheh…I saw Bertha’s Hippowdon and was super excited because I thought my copy of Pearl had somehow given a shiny to an NPC trainer.

The Wobuffet lipstick is probably my favorite of the small gender design differences; I think it’s really cute and funny. As far as Pokémon with big differences go, I think both versions of Indeedee are cool.

It's a basic choice, but I do really like the Nidoran line(s) if they count. Looking back on it, it's kinda interesting that they served as a prototype of sorts for gender differences before even gendered Pokémon truly existed yet (and obviously long before differences were actually introduced).

Also a fan of male Dodrio, female Magikarp/Gyarados, and female Hippowdon, just because I think they stand out more and look better than the "default" design that's usually depicted in official art and such. Female Hippowdon in particular also has this subtle, camo-colored Shiny palette that I think is neat.
Screenshot 2024-03-18 223448.png
Screenshot 2024-03-18 222625.png
Screenshot 2024-03-18 222709.png

Screenshot 2024-03-18 222735.png

I really prefer the differences found in more recent Pokémon than older ones: Indeedee, Meowstic, Oinkologne, etc. They go beyond the usual "the hair is shorter" or "this part has a different color." Pokémon like Jellicent and Pyroar feel like a lot of thought was put into them...not so much with Torchic.

• Wooper, looks cute and it's not as hard to miss as the others.
  • Wobbuffet, a silly difference that somehow looks great.
  • Meditite, I like how the previously canon form was actually the female and that the male received an alternate look that kept its essence.
  • Combee, it makes total sense that the female would receive and extra marking and it makes them easier to spot in the wild.
  • Jellicent, they might be a little stereotypical but both look great on their own.
  • Indeedee, I like how very subtle differences come from completely different inspirations (a butler and a maid).
  • Pyroar, the female totally rocks that mane.

Back
Top Bottom