• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Favorite Pokemon of each Starter line?

Reaction score
What is your favorite Pokemon of each line? (example: Squirtle Line: Wartortle. Litten line: Torracat etc.

Gen1: Squirtle, Charmeleon, Bulbasaur
Gen2: Totodile, Quilava, Bayleef
Gen3: Blaziken, Swampert, Grovyle.
Gen4: Monferno, Piplup, Turtwig
Gen5: Tepig, Dewott, Serperior
Gen6: Chespin, Delphox, Greninja
Gen7: Popplio, Litten, Decidueye
Gen8: Grookey, Raboot, Sobble.

A strange topic but I'm intrested to see what you guys say.

Mine would be something like this:
  • Gen 1: Ivysaur, Charmander, Blastoise
  • Gen 2: Chikorita, Quilava, Totodile
  • Gen 3: Treecko, Blaziken, Mudkip
  • Gen 4: Torterra, Chimchar, Empoleon
  • Gen 5: Serperior, Tepig, Oshawott
  • Gen 6: Chespin, Delphox, Frogadier
  • Gen 7: Decidueye, Torracat, Primarina
  • Gen 8: Grookey, Scorbunny, Sobble (this made me realize i don't really like any of their evolutions :confused: )

Gen 1: Bulbasaur, Charmeleon, Blastoise
Gen 2: Bayleef, Quilava, Totodile
Gen 3: Grovyle, Blaziken, Mudkip
Gen 4: Torterra, Infernape, Piplup
Gen 5: Serperior, Tepig, Samurott
Gen 6: Chesnaught, Fennekin, Frogadier
Gen 7: Decidueye, Torracat, Primarina
Gen 8: Grookey, Raboot, Sobble

Gen 1: Bulbasaur, Charizard, Squirtle (Ash's team for life)
Gen 2: Chikorita, Cyndaquil, Totodile (cuties)
Gen 3: Treecko, Blaziken, Marshtomp
Gen 4: Turtwig, Chimchar, Empoleon
Gen 5: Snivy, Pignite, Oshawott (cuties)
Gen 6: Chesnaught, Braixen, Froakie
Gen 7: Rowlet, Torracat, Primarina
Gen 8: Rillaboom, Scorbunny, Sobble

Gen 1: Venusaur, Charizard, Blastoise
Gen 2: Meganium, Typlosion, Feraligatr
Gen 3: Sceptile, Blaziken, Swampert
Gen 4: Torterra, Infernape, Empoleon
Gen 5: Serperior, Emboar, Samurott
Gen 6: Chesnaught, Fennekin, Greninja
Gen 7: Decideye, Torracat, Popplio
Gen 8: Grookey, Scorbunny, Sobble

Gen 1: Bulbasaur, Charmeleon, Squirtle
Gen 2: Meganium, Cyndaquil, Feraligatr
Gen 3: Sceptile, Torchic, Mudkip
Gen 4: Torterra, Infernape, Piplup
Gen 5: Serperior, Tepig, Oshawatt
Gen 6: Chespin, Delphox, Greninja
Gen 7: Decideye, Torracat, Primarina
Gen 8: Grookey, Scorbunny, Sobble (this one was hard because I like Drizzile and Inteleon almost as much)

- Gen 1: Bulbasaur, Charziard, Blastoise
- Gen 2: Bayleef, Quilava, Feraligatr
- Gen 3: Sceptile, Torchic, Mudkip
- Gen 4: Torterra, Infernape, Piplup
- Gen 5: Snivy, Tepig, Samurott
- Gen 6: Chespin, Braixen, Greninja
- Gen 7: Decidueye, Incineroar, Primarina
- Gen 8: Rillaboom, Raboot, Sobble

Gen 1: Venusaur, Charizard, Blastoise
Gen 2: Bayleef, Cyndaquil, Croconaw
Gen 3: Grovyle, Torchic, Marshtomp
Gen 5: Servine, Pignite, Dewott
Gen 6: Chespin, Braixen, Greninja
Gen 7: Decidueye, Litten, Primarina
Gen 8: Grookey, Scorbunny, Drizzile

Gen 1: Bulbasaur, Charizard, Squirtle
Gen 2: Chikorita, Cyndaquil, Tototile
Gen 3: Treecko, Blaziken, Mudkip
Gen 5: Snivy, Tepig, Oshawott
Gen 6: Chespin, Fennekin, Froakie
Gen 7: Decidueye, Litten, Popplio
Gen 8: Grookey, Scorbunny, Sobble

Yeah I vastly prefer base stage starters. They're a lot cuter in that stage and I tend to like cute Pokemon over strong ones.

Gen 1: Ivysaur, Charmander, Wartortle
Gen 2: Meganium, Quilava, Totodile
Gen 3: Sceptile, Torchic, Mudkip
Gen 4: Turtwig, Infernape, Empoleon
Gen 5: Sevine, Emboar, Dewott
Gen 6: Chesnaught, Braixen, Frogadier
Gen 7: Rowlet, Litten, Brionne
Gen 8: Rillaboom, Raboot, Inteleon

(If anyone is curious, I'd be happy to explain~)

Oh boy! Here we go~
Ivysaur: I prefer it to bulbasaur because its flower has started to bloom, but I like it more than venusaur because I always found it weird how Venusaur's flower turned into some kind of tree trunked flower thing?
Charmander: Charmeleon is odd because its red when the other two are orange. I like Charmander more because I just like how round and cute it is. I still like Charizard but its not as round.
Wartortle: Squirtle is cute. Wartortle is still cute but is also cool. And then it turns into some weird as tank turtle. I always knew Blastoise had to be from another line and tacked into wartortle during development so you can imagine how I felt when the alpha and stuff leaks of Red and Green verified my thoughts.
Meganium: I love the entire line, but I specifically picked meganium because I love its flower design.
Quilava: I like that its eyes are open, and I like its more sleek body where Typhlosion is a big bulky boy. This is another line I love every member of. I just like Quilava most.
Totodile: I dislike the random caveman pattern Croconaw gets that comes out of nowhere and then vanishes again after it evolves. Feraligatr... I dunno what it is about it that I don't like as much exactly. Too pointy? Its head doesn't really feel like an aligator/crocodile to me? Its like a dinosaur that's all. And the tan V on Totodile's chest has for some reason migrated to Feraligatr's crotch and it just seems weirdly placed. Maybe if it were around the abdomen it wouldn't be so bad but now there's a lot of empty blue void space on its body.
Sceptile: Treeko is my favorite gen 3 starter (do not tell Torchic), and I just love how Sceptile looks. Its mega looks cool to me too. Grovyle is weird tho.
Torchic: I really love fluffy baby chickens you guys. And I love Torchic's colors. I love how the shiny just inverts the yellow and orange. Poofy baby chicken.
Mudkip: I had to choose one. You heard wrong. I in fact, do not like mudkips. I'm a wooper girl. Marshtomp's main body color is nice, though it also suffers like charmelon in its suddenly different from its first stage only for the third stage colors to go back.
Turtwig: I like Torterra, Grotle's an awkward middle stage, but Turtwig is so round and happy looking. I love its head leaves.
Infernape: I have plushies of a lot of starters. Chimchar's has long arms that make me uncomfortable, Monferno is awkward middle stage, but Infernape looks so cool. I love the gold accents and its fire hair.
Empoleon: Awkward middle again. Piplup.. dawn's piplup... ruined forever... Empoleon is super cool. I love the light blue against black. Also I always forget he's got claws on the underside of those flippers. His trident beak is also pretty rad.
Servine: It looks like a dapper little lad with teeny arms. And a single hair poking off its head. People draw Serperior as having rabbit like ears and it always looks too weird to me. Snivy's cute but I love servine's tiny arms. Those tiny, useless arms. Serperior looks like it has longer arms again. Justice for Servine's baby hands.
Emboar: I was around for the Black/White leaks and fakes. Tepig will always give me a sense of disappointment because someone drew a red panda (I think?) fire type over oshawot's silhouette. I loved that thing so much. Then we got the long eared pig instead... Pignite looks too round to function. But Emboar? Emboar. *chefs kiss* This boy. This beast. He looks intimidating and cool as heck. His shiny? Amazing. Literally the only thing I don't like was he was our third fire/fighting type starter. I wanted him to be fire/dark. Also I like naming mine Ganon.
Dewott: I like the blue-dominant head over Oshawott's white. And then it evolves and looks about as random but near-enough related to 'make sense' as blastoise.
Chesnaught: Chespin's cute. Qulladin is awkward looking. But Chesnaught is awesome. He's a big fluffy knight and if I were a royal in Kalos I would have one as a bodyguard. Also I love his shiny so much. The awesomeness of Chesnaught but the green and brown of the rest of his line.
Braixen: Fennekin is my favorite starter line. Mage themed fire fennec foxes. All my love. I love every stage. But I love the cute little witchy girl look Braixen has. And the stick in the tail makes it all look like a broom and I just can't its so adorable.
Frogadier: A good step up from our little foamy frog bandit Froakie. Then it gets RUINED BY THAT DANG TONGUE SCARF. Ugh I hate it so much. Frogadier is so cute. Why did the bubbles become a tongue scarf. Whyyyyy
Rowlet: All the stages look nice but I just can't get over how round Rowlet is. He is so round. Oh my god.
Litten: I love all these stages too. I love Incineroar but Litten is such a cute lil baby cat. Torracat is a litten that has been going to the gym. I love my little litten. Tiny black cat. Yes.
Brionne: Brionne wins over its other stages because of those bubble-like pigtail ears and the layered dress look its body has. So adorable.
Rillaboom: I just love his design. Grookey's okay. Thwackey is another awkward middle. Rillaboom is a boss. That is a king of the jungle.
Raboot: Sure scorbunny is freakin adorable. Cinderace is kinda odd to me. But Raboot? Raboot is a lil man in a hoodie at soccer practice. It's kinda chilly and he's waiting for his parents to pick him up. Give that baby a juice box and tell him he did a good job. <3
Inteleon: Top tier of his line. I love this lanky boy. I love this sassy looking stick man of a secret agent lizard. So smug. Also he's a sniper. He's just cool. Twiggy little sass machine.

Basic Stage, Stage 1, Stage 2
Gen 1: Bulbasaur, Charmeleon, Blastoise
Gen 2: Chikorita, Quilava, Totodile
Gen 3: Treecko, Combusken, Mudkip
Gen 5: Serperior, Pignite, Dewott
Gen 7: Rowlet, Litten, Popplio
Gen 8: Thwackey, Raboot, Drizzile
9 8 7

Last edited:
Kanto: Venusaur, Charizard, Wartortle
Johto: Meganium, Quilava, Feraligatr
Hoenn: Sceptile, Torchic, Swampert
Sinnoh: Torterra, Infernape, Empoleon
Unova: Serperior, Emboar, Samurott
Kalos: Chesnaught, Braixen, Greninja
Alola: Decidueye, Torracat, Primarina
Galar: Rillaboom, Cinderace, Inteleon

Gen1: Bulbasaur, Charizard, Wartortle
Gen2: Chikorita, Typhlosion, Totodile
Gen3: Grovyle, Swampert, Blaziken.
Gen4: Torterra, Chimchar, Empoleon
Gen5: Snivy, Emboar, Samurott
Gen6: none, none, Greninja
Gen7: Rowlet, Litten, none
Gen8: Grookey, Scorbunny, Inteleon

favorite Grass type starter line: Rowlet
favorite Fire type starter line: Charmander
favorite Water type starter line: Piplup

of those, the Charmander line is my absolute favorite, since I like all the evolutions.
I don’t like Prinplup or Decidueye, but I do like the other members of the evolutionary line.

How have i not seen this thread earlier

Gen 1: Bulbasaur, Charmander, Blastoise
Gen 2: Bayleef, Typhlosion, Feraligatr
Gen 3: Sceptile, Torchic, Swampert
Gen 5: Snivy, Emboar, Samurott
Gen 6: Chesnaught, Fennekin, Greninja
Gen 7: Popplio, Brionne, Primarina (Don't like the other 2)
Gen 8: Rillaboom, man-child in bunny suit (Raboot), Inteleon

Gen 1: Ivysaur, Charizard, Squirtle
Gen 2: Bayleef, Typhlosion, Totodile
Gen 3: Sceptile, Blaziken, Mudkip
Gen 5: Serperior, Emboar, Dewott
Gen 7: Dicidueye, Incineroar, Popplio
Gen 8: Grookey, Cinderace, Sobble

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom