• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Favorite Pokemon of each Starter line?

Gen 1: Bulbasaur, Charmeleon, Squirtle
Gen 2: Meganium, Cyndaquil, Totodile
Gen 3: Sceptile, Blaziken, Mudkip + Espeon and Umbreon
Gen 4: Turtwig, Chimchar, Piplup
Gen 5: Serperior, Tepig, Samurott
Gen 6: Chespin, Delphox, Greninja
Gen 7: Decidueye, Litten, Primarina
Gen 8: Grookey, Cinderace, Inteleon

I did this based off the idea that some of the side games with starters also count as well.

1: None, none, none.
2: None, Typhlosion, none
3: Sceptile, none, Swampert
4: None, none, none
5: Serperior, none, Samurott
6: Chesnaught, Braixen, Greninja
7: None, none, Primarina
8: None, Cinderace, Inteleon

Not a whole lot of starters I personally like. None at all in the case of Gens 1 and 4.

Gen 1: Bulbasaur, Charizard, Blastoise
Gen 2: Bayleef, Cyndaquil, Totodile
Gen 3: Grovyle, Blaziken, Swampert
Gen 4: Torterra, Chimchar, Empoleon
Gen 5: Serperior, Tepig, Dewott
Gen 6: Chespin, Braixen, Frogadier
Gen 7: Decidueye, Torracat, Popplio
Gen 8: Grookey, Cinderace, Sobble

Gen 1: Ivysaur, Charmander, Squirtle
Gen 1 ½: Raichu, Umbreon
Gen 2: Bayleef, Cyndaquil, Feraligatr
Gen 3: Grovyle, Torchic, Marshtomp
Gen 4: Torterra, Infernape, Piplup
Gen 5: Serperior, Emboar, Dewott
Gen 6: Chespin, Fennekin, Greninja
Gen 7: All of the Decidueye line, Litten, Primarina
Gen 8: Grookey, Raboot, Drizzile

To make a long story short, I prefer the base stages almost always. The only exceptions are Charizard, Dewott and Raboot. Bayleef and Chikorita are pretty much on par.

Kanto: Charmander, Wartortle, Venusaur
Johto: Totodile, Bayleef, Typhlosion
Hoenn: Torchic, Grovyle, Swampert
Sinnoh: Empoleon, Monferno, Torterra
Unova: Serperior, Dewott, Pignite
Kalos: Chespin, Braixen ... honestly? I like the entire Froakie line pretty equally
Alola: Primarina, Dartrix; I like all of Litten's stages equally, too! Can't choose.
Galar: Scorbunny, Grookey, Inteleon

Kanto: Bulbasaur, Wartourtle, Charizard
Johto: Cannot pick between Chikorita's line because I love all of them, Totodile, Quilava
Hoenn: Grovyle, Mudkip, Blaziken,
Sinnoh: Torterra, Piplup, Monferno
Unova: Serperior, Samurott, Tepig
Kalos: Chesnaught, Greninja, Fennekin
Alola: Rowlett, Popplio, Litten
Galar: Grookey, Sobble, Scorbunny

Part 1: Gens 1 through 4.

*Note: You won't be seeing many base starters here. I don't tend to like non-evolved Pokemon due to their giant, disproportionate heads, which is a pet peeve of mine in character design. It only gets more exaggerated over the generations. Thus, I tend to find middle stages to be the cute ones of Pokemon lines.​
Kanto:
002MS6.png
006MS6.png
008MS6.png

[Ivysaur, Charizard, Wartortle]​

I really like the middle stages with the Kanto starters, and am kind of upset that Wartortle loses its cute, fluffy features when it turns into Blastoise. Blastoise is my favorite out of the fully evolved starters still though, I just prefer Wartortle. If they aren't fully evolved, my favorite's easily Ivysaur. It's like Bulbasaur, but more flowery, and adorable little fangs. I don't really like how it turns more ugly and monsterous as Venusaur, which has always disappointed me. Also, Charizard is Charizard. It's the most interesting looking one of its line, and it has the only Mega evolutions I like.

Johto:
153MS6.png
156MS6.png
160MS6.png

[Bayleef, Quilava, Feraligatr]​

Kind of the same case as the Kanto starters. Of particular note is Bayleef, who loses out on its adorable leaf and becomes bald as Meganium. That's been a minor disappointment to me. Also, whilst I still like Typhlosion, I prefer the cuter and more weasel-like appearance of Quilava. Fully evolved, my favorite is Typhlosion. Non-fully evolved goes to Quilava. Totodile line is all right, but just kind of meh to me. Still, I generally like all of the starters in this gen.

Hoenn:
253MS6.png
257MS6.png
258MS6.png

[Grovyle, Blaziken, Mudkip]
Another Grass starter who goes bald when it evolves. Even moreso than Meganium. Grovyle just has a much cooler, more stealthier look to it than Sceptile, and the Mystery Dungeon games have also heavily influenced my opinion on it. Blaziken is easily the coolest one in its line [though special mention to Torchic, who is one of the cutest base starters], and Mudkip is just there because I don't really care about its line all that much. Marshtomp is too derpy, and Swampert is meh. Going to have to go with Sceptile as my favorite fully evolved, and Grovyle non-fully evolved though. Same line for the first time!

Sinnoh:
389MS6.png
392MS6.png
395MS6.png

[Torterra, Infernape, Empoleon]​

Sinnoh is the first generation where I don't particularly like any of them, and also the first where I feel they started putting less effort into the middle stages. I just chose the most highly evolved out of all of them because the first stages are the typical big-headed cute creatures, and due to the middle stages being absolutely meh. I honestly don't have a preference for any of these guys.

Part 2: Gens 5 through 8.​
Unova:
497MS6.png
498MS6.png
503MS6.png

[Serperior, Tepig, Samurott]​

Boring middle stages again, but great final stages for two of them. Serperior is one of my favorite starters of them all. Graceful and grown-up, unlike the weird awkwardly-limbed previous stages. Tepig is decent-looking for a pig, but I am very much not a fan of Pignite or Emboar. And Samurott is weird, kind of dorky, but ultimately cool. I overall prefer the Snivy line in its evolved and non-evolved states.

Kalos:
652MS6.png
654MS6.png
658MS6.png

[Chesnaught, Braixen, Greninja]​

My second favorite middle stage of all time is featured here - Braixen. I was immensely reluctant to evolve mine into Delphox on my first playthrough, but begrudgingly went through with it. Next time I play through though, I'll probably not evolve it and use an Eviolite. It's not that I dislike Delphox though - I just think its 3D model is absolutely atrocious, and I also really like Braixen. For several years, I considered it my all time favorite Pokemon. I just feel they put more effort into its design than Delphox - it is oozing with personality and uniqueness. Whereas with Delphox, they just put it in a robe and removed the creative broomstick wand tail concept, instead having it in its sleeve. I would've preferred Delphox just be a bigger Braixen, honestly, because there isn't much they could've done to improve its design.

Now onto Chesnaught. It's cool. Quilladin is absolutely horrid, looking like a worse version of Pignite. But this guy is definitely my second choice, with a great color scheme that is easy on the eyes and unique for a Grass-type.

Greninja is also cool, though I don't quite like it as much as everyone else seems to. It is obviously the best in its line though, with a striking and unique design compared to its pre-evolutions which look far more like generic frogs. Extra points for the tongue scarf.

Favorite overall though is the Fennekin line. I still prefer Delphox over Greninja and Chesnaught for the fully evolved pick.

Overall though, this set of starters is definitely my favorite out of all regions.

Alola:
724MS6.png
726MS6.png
730MS6.png

[Decidueye, Torracat, Primarina]
The middle stages here are... interesting. But the only one that sticks out to me is Torracat, who is lovely and adorable. I don't really like Incineroar at all, but I do like Litten as a cute cat [though its head is a bit too big for my liking], and like it even more as a more well-proportioned cute cat with a little fire bell. It reminds me of a lynx with its thicker set body. I wouldn't be evolving it past this stage if I pick it for another playthrough.

For the Popplio line, I really like all of them. Popplio is uniquely adorable to me in a way other first stage starters aren't, Brionne is cute and pretty and a great progression, and Primarina really knocks it out of the park. To me, Primarina is the most beautiful Pokemon of them all. So whilst I do like all its stages, it wins because it's just so wonderful.

Decidueye is generically cool. I like it, but I don't love it. However, it is definitely way better than the annoyingly sphere-shaped Rowlet and the pompous Dartrix.

So Torracat for my favorite non-fully evolved starter, and Primarina for my favorite fully evolved this time.

Galar:
811.png
814.png
818.png

[Thwackey, Raboot, Inteleon]​

I kind of dislike the starters in Galar. Cinderace and Drizzile especially have terrible color schemes that don't fit together. Grookey's line are primates and I tend not to like apelike creatures. So I don't really like any of them, but I have to pick Thwacky because it's the one I dislike the least.

The only one I actually like is Raboot, so it's my favorite out of the non-fully evolved starters. Got mixed feelings about Inteleon. I both think it's cool, but it also doesn't look like a Pokemon to me due to its weird proportions. [Same as Cinderace.] I guess I'll have to consider it my favorite out of the fully evolved Galar starters.

Last edited:
I'll be totally honest. I don't like many of the starters as evidenced by my views below.

Kanto: None to all three
Johto: None to all three
Hoenn: Sceptile, None, Swampert
Sinnoh: None, None, Piplup
Unova: None, Emboar, Oshawott
Kalos: None, Delphox, None
Alola: None, Litten, Primarina
Galar: None, Scorbunny, None

Part 1: Gens 1 through 4.

*Note: You won't be seeing many base starters here. I don't tend to like non-evolved Pokemon due to their giant, disproportionate heads, which is a pet peeve of mine in character design. It only gets more exaggerated over the generations. Thus, I tend to find middle stages to be the cute ones of Pokemon lines.​
Kanto:
002MS6.png
006MS6.png
008MS6.png

[Ivysaur, Charizard, Wartortle]​

I really like the middle stages with the Kanto starters, and am kind of upset that Wartortle loses its cute, fluffy features when it turns into Blastoise. Blastoise is my favorite out of the fully evolved starters still though, I just prefer Wartortle. If they aren't fully evolved, my favorite's easily Ivysaur. It's like Bulbasaur, but more flowery, and adorable little fangs. I don't really like how it turns more ugly and monsterous as Venusaur, which has always disappointed me. Also, Charizard is Charizard. It's the most interesting looking one of its line, and it has the only Mega evolutions I like.

Johto:
153MS6.png
156MS6.png
160MS6.png

[Bayleef, Quilava, Feraligatr]​

Kind of the same case as the Kanto starters. Of particular note is Bayleef, who loses out on its adorable leaf and becomes bald as Meganium. That's been a minor disappointment to me. Also, whilst I still like Typhlosion, I prefer the cuter and more weasel-like appearance of Quilava. Fully evolved, my favorite is Typhlosion. Non-fully evolved goes to Quilava. Totodile line is all right, but just kind of meh to me. Still, I generally like all of the starters in this gen.

Hoenn:
253MS6.png
257MS6.png
258MS6.png

[Grovyle, Blaziken, Mudkip]
Another Grass starter who goes bald when it evolves. Even moreso than Meganium. Grovyle just has a much cooler, more stealthier look to it than Sceptile, and the Mystery Dungeon games have also heavily influenced my opinion on it. Blaziken is easily the coolest one in its line [though special mention to Torchic, who is one of the cutest base starters], and Mudkip is just there because I don't really care about its line all that much. Marshtomp is too derpy, and Swampert is meh. Going to have to go with Sceptile as my favorite fully evolved, and Grovyle non-fully evolved though. Same line for the first time!

Sinnoh:
389MS6.png
392MS6.png
395MS6.png

[Torterra, Infernape, Empoleon]​

Sinnoh is the first generation where I don't particularly like any of them, and also the first where I feel they started putting less effort into the middle stages. I just chose the most highly evolved out of all of them because the first stages are the typical big-headed cute creatures, and due to the middle stages being absolutely meh. I honestly don't have a preference for any of these guys.

Part 2: Gens 5 through 8.​
Unova:
497MS6.png
498MS6.png
503MS6.png

[Serperior, Tepig, Samurott]​

Boring middle stages again, but great final stages for two of them. Serperior is one of my favorite starters of them all. Graceful and grown-up, unlike the weird awkwardly-limbed previous stages. Tepig is decent-looking for a pig, but I am very much not a fan of Pignite or Emboar. And Samurott is weird, kind of dorky, but ultimately cool. I overall prefer the Snivy line in its evolved and non-evolved states.

Kalos:
652MS6.png
654MS6.png
658MS6.png

[Chesnaught, Braixen, Greninja]​

My second favorite middle stage of all time is featured here - Braixen. I was immensely reluctant to evolve mine into Delphox on my first playthrough, but begrudgingly went through with it. Next time I play through though, I'll probably not evolve it and use an Eviolite. It's not that I dislike Delphox though - I just think its 3D model is absolutely atrocious, and I also really like Braixen. For several years, I considered it my all time favorite Pokemon. I just feel they put more effort into its design than Delphox - it is oozing with personality and uniqueness. Whereas with Delphox, they just put it in a robe and removed the creative broomstick wand tail concept, instead having it in its sleeve. I would've preferred Delphox just be a bigger Braixen, honestly, because there isn't much they could've done to improve its design.

Now onto Chesnaught. It's cool. Quilladin is absolutely horrid, looking like a worse version of Pignite. But this guy is definitely my second choice, with a great color scheme that is easy on the eyes and unique for a Grass-type.

Greninja is also cool, though I don't quite like it as much as everyone else seems to. It is obviously the best in its line though, with a striking and unique design compared to its pre-evolutions which look far more like generic frogs. Extra points for the tongue scarf.

Favorite overall though is the Fennekin line. I still prefer Delphox over Greninja and Chesnaught for the fully evolved pick.

Overall though, this set of starters is definitely my favorite out of all regions.

Alola:
724MS6.png
726MS6.png
730MS6.png

[Decidueye, Torracat, Primarina]
The middle stages here are... interesting. But the only one that sticks out to me is Torracat, who is lovely and adorable. I don't really like Incineroar at all, but I do like Litten as a cute cat [though its head is a bit too big for my liking], and like it even more as a more well-proportioned cute cat with a little fire bell. It reminds me of a lynx with its thicker set body. I wouldn't be evolving it past this stage if I pick it for another playthrough.

For the Popplio line, I really like all of them. Popplio is uniquely adorable to me in a way other first stage starters aren't, Brionne is cute and pretty and a great progression, and Primarina really knocks it out of the park. To me, Primarina is the most beautiful Pokemon of them all. So whilst I do like all its stages, it wins because it's just so wonderful.

Decidueye is generically cool. I like it, but I don't love it. However, it is definitely way better than the annoyingly sphere-shaped Rowlet and the pompous Dartrix.

So Torracat for my favorite non-fully evolved starter, and Primarina for my favorite fully evolved this time.

I kind of dislike the starters in Galar. Cinderace and Drizzile especially have terrible color schemes that don't fit together. Grookey's line are primates and I tend not to like apelike creatures. So I don't really like any of them, but I have to pick Thwacky because it's the one I dislike the least.

The only one I actually like is Raboot, so it's my favorite out of the non-fully evolved starters. Got mixed feelings about Inteleon. I both think it's cool, but it also doesn't look like a Pokemon to me due to its weird proportions. [Same as Cinderace.] I guess I'll have to consider it my favorite out of the fully evolved Galar starters.
Wow, I very organized, nice job. I also agree with many of your favorites.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom