• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Favorite Starter from Each Trio?

Do you prefer Grass, Fire, or Water starters?

• Grass

Votes: 11 20.0%
  • Fire

Votes: 11 20.0%
  • Water

Votes: 15 27.3%
  • No preference

Votes: 18 32.7%

• Total voters
Kanto: Charmander>Bulbasaur>Squirtle
Johto: Cyndaquil>Totodile>Chikorita
Hoenn: Treecko>Torchic=Mudkip
Sinnoh: Chimchar>Piplup>Turtwig
Unova: Oshawott>Tepig=Snivy
Kalos: Froakie>Fennekin>Chespin
Alola: Rowlet>Litten>Popplio
Galar: Grookey>Sobble=Scorbunny

Water starters for Gen 1. Squirtle is cute, so is Wartortle, and Blastoise is a BEAST. I love all their designs. I love the other ones to though :bulbaLove:

For Gen 2, I gotta go with Chikorita/Bayleef/Meganium. I adore the designs for them too. Typhlosion line is cool. Feraligatr line is pretty okay.

Kanto: Squirtle
Johto: Totodile
Hoenn: Treecko
Sinnoh: Piplup
Unova: Tepig
Kalos: Fennekin (but I don't really like none of the starters of this region lol)
Alola: All of them. First region where I straight up loved all of the starters.
Galar: Scorbunny

Johto: Cyndaquil
Hoenn: Torchic
Sinnoh: Turtwig
Unova: Oshawott
Kalos: Chespin
Alola: Litten

It seems like I favor the fire-type starters the most.

Hoenn: Mudkip/Treeko
Sinnoh: Chimchar/Turtwig (They're all good)
Unova: can't choose all amazing (but probably Snivy)
Kalos: Chespin but I like the Froakie line.
Alola: Litten
Galar: Grookey

Unova: Oshawott
Kalos: Chespin
Alola: Popplio

Seems like I favour Water-types, but I don't really consider that I have a specific type preference.

Kanto- Squirtle

Johto- Cyndaquil

Hoenn- Torchic

Sinnoh- Piplup

Unova- Oshawott

Kalos- Froakie

Alola- Rowlet

Galar- Sobble

I prefer water types.

Johto: Chikorita
Hoenn: Mudkip
Kalos: Froakie
Alola: P0pp|10

Yeah, mine is going to be a very unpopular opinion.

Kanto: None. I feel that these get the most attention and are a bit overrated for me.

Johto: None. They all feel lackluster and are underwhelming.

Hoenn: Swampert and Sceptile. I don't like Blaziken since, again, it feels overrated.

Sinnoh: Empoleon. Torterra has a cool design, but I'm just not a fan. Inferape is the same.

Unova: Emboar and Samurott. Serperior is just a boring Pokemon design-wise.

Kalos: Delphox. Greninja is a creepy Pokemon in design. Chestnaught just looks ugly and awful.

Alola: Primarina. Decidueye has a cool concept, but something about it feels off to me. Inceniroar had great potential to be on all fours, but it butchered it.

Galar: None. I was really disappointed when the starters didn't get secondary typings. Scorbunny was the one I was really hoping to become something amazing, but the ball was dropped.

Kanto: Charmander (mostly because of Charizard's Megas)
Johto: Cyndaquil (it is fast and gets Eruption)
Hoenn: Mudkip (love Swampert's "derpy yet powerful" looks and typing)
Sinnoh: Torterra (looks cool and has a unique typing)
Unova: Oshawott ( Samurott looks cool, is faster than Emboar and has a good movepool, unlike Serperior)
Kalos: Froakie (Greninja is fast, and Protean is great)
Alola: Popplio (Primarina is elegant and has a good movepool)
Galar: Scorbunny (Cinderace looks better than Inteleon and Rillaboom, and Libero is an amazing Ability)

Last edited:
Bulbasaur
Cyndaquil
Mudkip (all time favorite starter)
Piplup
Oshawott
Frokie
Rowlet
Scorbunny (I still have sobblefan on my profile for some reason lol, that was set before we saw the evolutions)
Its a funny coincidence too the legends arceus has my favorites from their trios

Kanto - Squirtle so far
Johto - Totodile
Hoenn - Mudkip
Sinnoh - Piplup
Unova - Snivy
Kalos - Chespin
Alola - Popplio
Haven't played Sw/Sh so I don't know. By the way, even though I chose majority of water starters, I don't have a preference for water - it's just Water type is overpowered. Perhaps things would be different if it wasn't.
:censored:

Kanto: Bulbasaur
Bulbasaur is really cool, Squirtle is a little weird to me, and charmander is overrated. The Kanto starters are definitely not the best of the bunch in my opinion but even so bulbasaur will always be my favorite of them.
I just don't really like the other Johto starters, and Feraligatr is super cool I haven't played Johto a lot so maybe I'll like the others in the future.
Hoen: Mudkip
Mudkip is super cute, it's evolutions are too, and Hoenn has probably the best starters of any generation so that's a plus too.
Sinnoh: Chimchar
I love all the Sinnoh starters but chimchar was the first one I used so it gets the edge.
Unova: Snivy
I dislike the Unova starters the most (with Johto next) but I love using Serperior in competitive matches and I think Snivy is interesting so I like it better than the others.
Kalos: Froakie/Fennekin
Kalos is a tie between those two (sorry Chespin) I used Froakie first but I enjoyed Using Fennekin more.
Alola: Rowlet (for Hisui too)
Rowlet will always be the only Alola starter I will ever use, its so perfect. That's also the reason I'm using it in legends.
Galar: Sobble
Sobble is awesome and Inteleon is even better in my opinion, I love using it and it's shiny is the best out of all of the Galar starters as well

Ok, so as someone that has played through all Gens prior to Gen 8, I have quite a bit of experience with many of the trios. Here is my list.

Kanto; Bulbasaur
My favorite Kanto starter, though when it comes to the three Mega forms, I prefer Charizard, mainly because of the different directions you can take them. When I played Red originally, I picked Charmander, but I didn't really know what I was doing (I was very young at the time). By the time I got to Gen 3 Kanto (Fire Red & Leaf Green), I understood more and so I chose Bulbasaur.

When I first played Johto, I was very young, and once again didn't understand much of what I was doing. I picked Totodile. Later, when I played HeartGold & Soulsilver, I was firmly in the Cyndaquil camp.

Every time I have played Hoenn (either Generation 3 or Generation 6), I have picked Torchic. I feel that Mudkip (and evos) got too much diversity and Treecko (and evos) got too little diversity. Mega Blaziken was my first exposure to Mega Evolution, which expanded my appreciation. The Megas balanced out what I think about each one, and by Gen 6, I think they were more balanced.

Sinnoh: Turtwig
Turtwig was the first Grass starter that really drew me in the first time playing a Region. Recently, through my "Diamond Nostalgia Run", I have gained an appreciation for Chimchar, but most situations with Sinnoh set me to select Turtwig. Probably, if I was to play BDSP, I would pick Turtwig.

I don't like snake Pokemon (Snivy line), and Oshawott has never really drawn me in.

Kalos: Froakie
Of the three Kalos starters, I like Froakie the most, from the point they were revealed. When I did my "Y Beauty Run", I played with Fennekin, but I still like Froakie better. That ninja appearance is just awesome looking, and I really like the shiny form.

Alola: Rowlet
Every time I have played Alola, I have picked Rowlet. I like how it is dual type from the get go. Plus, it seems the cutest of the three.

Galar: Grookey
Never have played SWSH, but when I saw the three starters, I liked Grookey the most.

Hisui: Cyndaquil or Rowlet
If I were to play Legends, I would be unsure if I would play with Rowlet or Cyndaquil.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom