• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Favorite starter

Who is your favorite starter?

• Bulbasaur

Votes: 3 5.0%
  • Charmander

Votes: 4 6.7%
  • Squirtle

• Chikorita

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • Cyndaquil

Votes: 5 8.3%
  • Totiodile

• Treecko

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • Torchic

• Mudkip

• Turtwig

• Chimchar

• Piplup

• Snivy

Votes: 8 13.3%
  • Tepig

• Oshawott

• Chespin

• Fennekin

Votes: 7 11.7%
  • Froakie

• Pikachu

• Starters suck!

• Total voters
Bulbasaur but I actually prefer Charmeleon and Charizard than Ivysaur and Venusaur.

Kanto - Charmeleon
Johto - Bayleef
Hoenn - Grovyle
Sinnoh - Empoleon/Turtwig
Unova - Snivy
Kalos - Frogadeir

I like second evolutions.

Just out of curiosity, is Eevee also considered as a starter pokemon on this thread?

Technically, Eevee is starter pokemon on Yellow.

But you cant even pick it.

The Oshawott family tree, especially Samurott, is not only my favorite starter, not only just my favorite Unova Pokemon, but my favorite Pokemon period. Yes, I admit that it blows in battle; its stats are too mediocre to do anything, and unlike Emboar Serperior, its HA only makes it worse. However, I like its design. Otters have always appealed to me, and I've always been intrigued by Japanese culture, especially the samurai. Combine the two, and you get perfection in my eyes. I'll be honest and see why many people don't like Oshawott; its anime portrayal is obnoxious, and Samurott being a quadruped is weird (although in the long run, I honestly prefer it.) It's quite difficult to put in words why I love the thing, but I just do.

Kanto: Bulbasaur
Johto: Cyndaquil (and my all time favorite starter)
Hoenn: Treecko
Sinnoh: Piplup
Unova: Oshawott
Kalos: Fennekin

Thank goodness there was a starters suck option lol

Except for the earlier parts of the game, I never use starter pokemon as part of my team. I feel that they are so restrictive when it comes to building a team of 6 pokemon. Having a starter means you are only choosing 5 more, which means less choices!

Turtwig is my favorite starter hands down! Turtwig is the perfect mix of adorable, yet cool! I don't know what makes Turtwigs so cute, maybe it's their cute little sprout on their head!

Turtwig is my favorite starter hands down! Turtwig is the perfect mix of adorable, yet cool! I don't know what makes Turtwigs so cute, maybe it's their cute little sprout on their head!
I always thought it was the shape of the eyes and mouth.

Literally all of the Grass Starters, all of the time. Though my absolute favorite, without a shadow of a doubt, is Bulbasaur.

I also like most of the Water Starters, except Mudkip. Oshawott, I don't care much for one way or the other.

And though I'm not really big on the Fire Starters, I will make an exception for Torchic and Fennekin because they are awesome.

Piplup is really cute. Fennekin has grown on me.

My definitive favorite is Samurott, but is not counted in this poll, as it's a fully evolved form, and TBH I don't really like its pre-evolutions all of that much. Oshawott has grown on me, but Dewott, no.

Totodile, due to most of the memories of playing Silver back in the day, and SoulSilver revitalizing those memories. Now I always pick it among the Johto starters.

Snivy. I'm kinda surprised to see that Snivy is topping the poll with Fennekin atm, I always got the impression that Snivy was unpopular.

SNIVY POWAH

Shout-out to Bulbasaur, who was my starter on my very first clumsy Blue playthrough.

Last edited:
Chimchar was my first starter that I fell in love with, and still is my favorite. :) ♥ Can't get enough of that cute fire monkey!

Well, although Torchic is my 1st starter ever, it's close second to my favourite, Snivy. I love everything about Snivy, its type, design, evolutions, especially Serperior, my fav gen 5 pkmn

Snivy. Not only is it my favourite starter, it’s my 3rd favourite Pokemon overall (beaten only by Virizion and Blaziken). I love the smug personality it possesses and it's awesome design, which is a mixture of adorable and utterly badass. I also went through a Snivy obsession a few years ago as well XD Too bad I’m not a huge fan of it’s evolutions though. Servine is ok I guess.
Torchic is a very close second since it evolves into Blaziken, and it’s unbelievably cute. Other favourites include Piplup and Bulbasaur.

Kanto: Bulbasaur
Johto: Cyndaquil
Hoenn: Mudkip
Sinnoh: Turtwig
Unova: Snivy
Kalos: Froakie

Mudkip is my favourite. Shout out to Torchic, my first starter, that I, as I didn't know about how nicknaming worked at the time, was nicknamed Torchic, even as a Blaziken.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom