• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Favorite Starters

Status
Not open for further replies.

MistyBrockAsh

Reaction score
What are is your favorite starter evo group and why?

what is the best looking first form?
second form?
third form?

what is the strongest first form?
second form?
third form?

you can give evidence and reasoning from either your personal experience from the games or from amine

Do you have any idea how many threads like this already exist? lol.

Oh well, I find Starter threads fun, so to hell with it.

My favorite Starter line is by far the Bulbasaur family. They double as my favorite Pokemon of all time, so obviously they're my favorites in any other applicable category by default.

Having trained a Bulbasaur, an Ivysaur and a Venusaur (as well as every other Starter in their final forms) in Platinum, I can attest to the reliability of these guys. Balanced stats and a movepool that allows for amazing amounts of versatility make them fantastic Pokemon to choose.

In fact, they are the most versatile of all Starters. They can sweep from both sides of the spectrum, wall from both sides of the spectrum, tank, absorb Toxic Spikes, induce sleep status, SubSeed, are inmune to Leech Seed, heal themselves, etc.

They've got bulky offense, bulky defense, fantastic STAB moves in the form of Power Whip, Grass Knot/Energy Ball and Sludge Bomb, a great supporting movepool and access to the much sought after Leech Seed, great stat distribution, resistances to Water, Grass, Electric and Fighting (all common attacking types) and, unlike some Starters *coughCharizardcough*, won't get totally raped by Stealth Rock.

Best looking first stage in my opinion is Bulbasaur

Best looking second stage in my opinion is Bayleef (no, surprisingly, not Ivysaur)

Best looking final stage in my opinion is Venusaur

Best first stage is Bulbasaur (only dual typed first stage, that means it gets STAB from two types and has less weaknesses than it's fellow Grass Starters)

Best second stage is Marshtomp (mini Swampert)

Best final stage is Swampert (one weakness, great defensive typing, fantastic stat distribution, access to Stealth Rock, can pHaze, stall, lead and tank, inmune to Sandstorm, resists Stealth Rock. Definately the best Starter, if I'm to be completely unbiased)

Uh, the only one I've trained to completion (that is, to Level 100) is Squirtle, but I still feel like going with Chimchar. What can I say? Monkeys (apes if you wanna get all snippy) are cool, fire is cool, in my mind of course a fire-monkey is going to be like buttered Jesus on toast. Then again I'm just going by looks, but going by that prerequisite how could you not choose him? He goes from amazingly cute to really badass with a seemingly impossible happy medium between the two. He's just awesome...

Then again I'm just going by looks, but going by that prerequisite how could you not choose him? He goes from amazingly cute to really badass with a seemingly impossible happy medium between the two. He's just awesome...

Pardon me if I disagree, but the Chimchar line are actually my least favorite Pokemon of all 493 of them and I personally think they're terribly designed. Just my opinion though

My favorite starter family is the Charmander/Charmeleon/Charizard line. I love the fire types, and Charizard has been my favorite Pokémon ever since I started playing the games and watching the show. I picked Squirtle in my first game, because I liked turtles back then, but I've always liked Charizard.

As far as looks go, I'd have to say Bulbasaur, Croconaw, Charizard. I also think Torterra and Blastoise are pretty badass.

Strength wise, I'd go with Bulbasaur, Grotle, Swampert. Just from personal experience. I've had the easiest time with those, but you have to take the type advantages into consideration. 10 years ago I couldn't get through Red or Blue with Charmander, and I was so pissed. I'd have to just use him on Stadium, lol.

Cyndaquil is so cute, and is my favorite starter.

Second stage would have to be Grovyle, they are just so cool in the anime when they use Leaf Blade.

And finally, Torterra tops out as my favorite Third Stage starter.

My favorite starters' first forms are in generation I and II, but if I have to choose one - I'd say I like Bulbasaur the most. My favorite second form of a starter is Ivysaur, as it's the most epic-looking form of a starter Pokémon in the whole series. For the third form of a starter I'd pick Empoleon.

Last edited:
By generation:

First:
Bulbasaur-Venusaur without a doubt. Not really sure why .. just something about the way they're designed.

Second:
Cyndaquil-Typhlosion for sure. Cyndaquil is just kind of .. cute and bad ass at the same time and typhlosion is absolutely vicious.

Third:
Fire again. Cute bird for the starter form and a bad ass fire bird that can jump over buildings for a final .. plus I find mudkip and treecko to be poorly designed. SORRY!

Fourth:

Torterra - I don't care how much it resembles venusaur. It's a continent pokemon with a tree growing out of it's back. SIIIIICCCK.

I honestly love all the starters

My favorites:

first form: Chikorita
second form:bayleef
Third form: Blazican

Strongest(Amine or game):
first form: bulbisaur
second form: morferno or combuskin
third form: sceptile

best looking:
first form: Cyndaquil
second form: grovile
Third form: Torrterra, Charizard, Blazican

WOW i never really never knew how much i liked the starters.. haha The only one that im not crazy about is the mudkip line, but i still like them

Gen 1; charamander

Gen 2; totodile

Gen 3; treeko

Gen 4; turtwig

i like reptiles lol.

Gen 1 is Charmander, hands down.
Gen 2 would be Cyndaquil/Totodile. I used to like Chikorita until I used it against Whitney and got lolseduced and roflcurbstomped by Miltank. :/
Gen 3 is Treecko
And I don't have a Gen 4.

I've always liked the Fire Starters, and thus have chosen them for each game I've played. Out of those, I have a preference for Cyndaquil and Torchic's lines, though not exactly because of their stats, even if they both get pretty strong with enough levels and such.

Although I'm saying this for like the 100th time on this very forum, my favorite is and shall always be Torchic.

Ooh, fun. *loves starter threads*

First form:

Gen I: Squirtle
Gen II: Chikorita
Gen III: Torchic
Gen IV: Piplup

Second form:

Gen I: Charmeleon
Gen II: Quilava
Gen III: Combusken
Gen IV: Monferno

Final form:

Gen I: Charizard
Gen II: Meganium
Gen III: Blaziken
Gen IV: Infernape

Yay! A starters thread xDU I love all of them <3 Except Piplup

My favourites:

Gen I
First form: Squirtle
Second form: Wartortle
Third form: Charizard <3

Gen II
First form: Totodile (My favourite starter and my favourite Pokémon <3333)
Second form: Quilava
Third form: Feraligart

Gen III
First form: Torchic
Second form: Grovyle
Third form: Blaziken

Gen IV
First form: Piplup (I don't like him but, damn, he's cute xD)
Second form: Monferno
Third form: Infernape

Gen I: Charizard
Gen II: Typhlosion
Gen III: Blaziken
Gen IIII: Infernape

What? it's not like I like fire types or anything.

I always choose the Grass-type starter in each generation.
Bulbasaur and his family are probably my favorites, but I'd have to give Torterra the nod for most powerful: he learns Earthquake at level 32! Not to mention the excellent movepool of Leech Seed, Crunch, Wood Hammer and Earthquake without a single TM.

Personal Favourites:

Gen I:
Basic: Bulbasaur
Stage 1: Wartortle
Stage 2: Blastoise

Gen II:
Basic: Totodile
Stage 1: Quilava
Stage 2: Meganium

Gen III:
Basic: Mudkip
Stage 1: Grovyle
Stage 2: Blaziken

Gen IV:
Basic: Turtwig
Stage 1: Grotle
Stage 2: Torterra
To be honest, the Turtwig line is the only Gen IV starter line I like. Piplup's is just...bleh, and Chimchar's screams "Look at me, I'm a Blaziken!"

Overall:
Basic: Totodile
Stage 1: Grovyle
Stage 2: Torterra

Most Powerful:
Basic: Bulbasaur - Only dual type, as said before.
Stage 1: Combusken - It's easy to sweep with a Combusken
Stage 2: Torterra - Through various games, I have used all 12 different starters, and I found Torterra to be the most useful.

Overall (All Generations)

1st: Squirtle
2nd: Wartortle
3rd. Charizard

By Gen

I (See Above)

II

Chikorita
Quilava
Feraligatr

III

1st: Treeko