• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Anime Favorite Studio Ghibli Movie?

I'm honestly torn between Princess Mononoke and Ponyo. I loved the story in both of them, and they both looked great. Kiki's Delivery Service was great too. Geez, I love all three of them.

It's hard to pick just one as Miyazaki made a lot of excellent films. I had to pick just one though, it would have to be Princess Mononoke. It has beautifully done animation, epic soundtrack, and an excellent story about love, humanity, and the environment.

Castle in the Sky ♥
But I gotta give mad props to Nausicaa, Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away [train scene=LOVE], and the always depressing Grave of the Fireflies. Man do I love my Ghibli films~~

Oh noez!!! I can't decide between Spirited Away and Howl's Moving Castle! But, I think I'll go with Howl's Castle.

Howl's moving castle

Spirited away

The Cat returns

I would like to see the rest.

Princess Mononoke or Spirited Away.

Well, like most people, Spirited Away but I also loved Howl's Moving Castle. It was actually a very good adaptation of the book.

I love Howl's Moving Castle, the book and movie. But I thought they changed a lot from the book, especially the end, making the movie a little more confusing. I still enjoyed the movie though.

I also love Princess Mononoke, it's a great story.

I have a top five.
1. Arrietty
2. Kiki's Delivery Service
3. Spirited Away
4. Howl's Moving Castle
5. Princess Mononoke
Only missing out are Ponyo, Whisper of the Heart and My Neighbour Totoro.
Hate Pom Poko though. I can't stand it.

A tie between Porco Rosso, Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke.

I love just about all of them (yes, even Tales from Earthsea had something going for it), but my favourite is definitely Whisper of the Heart (Mimi o Sumaseba). It's a rather different Ghibli film in that it isn't a lavishly-fashioned epic fantasy, but a down-to-earth story about a Tokyo schoolgirl taking her first steps toward coming of age. I appreciate the epic beauty of Spirited Away and Howl's Moving Castle as much as the next person, but Whisper of the Heart has a lovely, quiet charm which I find even more delightful (Seiji's methods of courting Shizuku admittedly do lean toward the stalkerish side, but it still manages to be charming in context).

In fact, the first time I saw The Cat Returns I felt disappointed, because I had previously been mislead into thinking that it would be a film based on the story that Shizuku was writing in Whisper of the Heart (that I would have loved to have seen). On my second viewing I was able to appreciate Cat more for what it actually was, and now I do like that one too (albeit not nearly as much as Whisper).

I also give honourable mention to Pom Poko, which I affectionately refer to as "The Raccoon Testicle Movie". (And yes, I know that raccoons and tanuki are not the same - blame the dub for not caring to distinguish).

Last edited:
Definitely Howl's Moving Castle. It was the first Studio Ghbili film I ever watched, and even after watching the majority of the movies now, it's still my favourite. Though I prefer the book, the film was still a brilliant adaptation of it, if only failing to keep many of the Welsh aspects within the book in the film. The story got a bit confusing at times but the characters are lovable and the artwork for it is just spectacular. I do, however, also like Whisper of the Heart, Nausica and the Valley of the Wind, Spirited Away and Ponyo.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom