• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Anime Favorite Studio Ghibli Movie?

Porco Rosso
Whisper of the Heart
Kiki's Delivery Service

ALL OF THEM! I love Jeeblyyy

GRAVE OF THE FIREFLIES GRAVE OF THE FIREFLIES GRAVE OF THE FIREFLIES

my favourite Hayao Miyazaki one is Kiki's Delivery Service :)

but seriously

GRAVE OF THE FIREFLIES GRAVE OF THE FIREFLIES GRAVE OF THE FIREFLIES
Yeah, Kiki's Delivery Service is good, but we were in the middle of a crisis while it was on: our shed door had frozen over (Easter 2013 in Ireland: absolute hell) and we needed to get coal out of it to light a fire, so I missed over half of it :(

I love all of them that I've seen so far, but

THE CAT RETURNS

I don't know why I like this one the most. It's not necessarily more interesting than certain others--maybe it's just that I love cats? I don't know. But basically all Studio Ghibli movies, in my opinion, are awesome.

Spirited Away, because it was paced wonderfully, and I loved everything about it. Plus, Haku is my favorite character in a Studio Ghibli film, which also helps.

Second place would be Kiki's Delivery Service, which gives me a ton of nostalgia.

Mine's definitely Spirited Away. It was the first anime movie I seen and the first Studio Ghibli film I seen as well. It's so beautifully animated and well written and just creatively thought out and paced. Some other favorite has to be Howl's Moving Castle and Princess Monokoke but I just love any Ghibli film I've seen.

Golly! This is a tough one...

Can I honestly just answer that I love them all? They have amazing artistry, engaging stories, and memorable characters. No film collection would be complete without the Ghibli works. :)

Princess Mononoke is now my favourite because of its thick plot and beautiful music, especially 'Journey to the West'. Joe Hisaishi is a music genius. A pastime of mine is working out the music and then playing it on the piano.

I think another favorite of mine now might be おもひでぽろぽろ Omohide Poroporo (literally, Memories Raining Down, known to the western world as Only Yesterday). Its lead is incredibly easy to relate to—in all likelihood, viewers have gone through many of the exact same things she goes through over the course of the movie. Sadly, it has yet to receive an official release stateside due to content that Disney deems questionable.

Princess Mononoke is now my favourite because of its thick plot and beautiful music, especially 'Journey to the West'. Joe Hisaishi is a music genius. A pastime of mine is working out the music and then playing it on the piano.

THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS! I've loved doing that since I was very young!

Sadly, it has yet to receive an official release stateside due to content that Disney deems questionable.

I do find it both ironic and amusing that Disney apparently has a problem handling a film with explicit references to menstruation, when one considers that:

1) Disney themselves made an (actually very well-done) animated film about menstruation back in the 1940s. (Not that modern day Disney likes to acknowledge everything their company got up to in the 40s, but still.)
2) They let all those tanuki testicles in Pom Poko slide (albeit under the totally unconvincing cover of "raccoon pouches"). :p

I do find it both ironic and amusing that Disney apparently has a problem handling a film with explicit references to menstruation, when one considers that:

1) Disney themselves made an (actually very well-done) animated film about menstruation back in the 1940s. (Not that modern day Disney likes to acknowledge everything their company got up to in the 40s, but still.)
2) They let all those tanuki testicles in Pom Poko slide (albeit under the totally unconvincing cover of "raccoon pouches"). :p

True, but let us bear in mind that Only Yesterday also has a bathhouse scene which essentially shows the lead character Taeko nude at age ten. No details are drawn, but the "suggestion" of nudity remains, which is probably enough for Disney to say "no".

....then again, an infant Noboru is shown nude with visible details in My Neighbors the Yamadas, and that still got through, so make of that what you will.

Laputa: Castle in the Sky
It was my first Ghibli and the music was the first of which got me into Piano Improvisation ♪

Hi guys,

I am the producer of a short film currently in preproduction, called Wolf Girl which I think may be of interest to you. We are making a live action fan film inspired by the wonderful Studio Ghibli animation: Princess Mononoke. We believe that a Princess Mononoke Fan Film deserves to be made with cinematic quality: Wolf Girl should feel like a true cinema movie, so we are striving for professional production values and technical quality in all aspects. We'll be launching a Kickstarter campaign on the 1 September and have some amazing people signed on to the team!

Wolf Girl is in no way endorsed by Studio Ghibli or Hayao Miyazaki. This fan film is not for profit: we are making it for the fans and our own enjoyment. It's shaping up to be a pretty big and exciting project and I would love to have your support. We have just completed our concept trailer and I would love it if you could take a look. This is a film made by fans, for fans and we'd love to get the word out as far as possible.

You can watch the trailer here: PRINCESS MONONOKE FAN FILM - Live Action Concept Trailer - YouTube

Thanks!

Georgie

The Princess Mononoke Fan Film
https://twitter.com/WolfGirlMovie
https://www.facebook.com/wolfgirlmovie

It's a tie between Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind or Princess Mononoke. Nausicaa was probably one of the first Ghibli films I ever saw--unfortunately, it was that horrible 80s dub known as Warriors of the Wind--so it has nostalgia going for it. Princess Mononoke was my husband's introduction to the world of Ghibli and the first film we saw together in a thaeatre. Both were amazing so it's really hard to chose.

But let's be honest here: is there such a thing as a bad Ghibli movie?

My Neighbor Totoro! Although that's the only one I've seen so far, but I'm going to get Spirited Away soon. I've read the book version of Kiki's delivery Service, however.

Spirited Away, easily. I nearly everything that Studio Ghibli produces. Well, not Tales of Earthsea (Completely misunderstood the source material, sloppily plotted) or Grave of the Fireflies (Unrelentingly grim, and the intended moral I can't stand). But Spirited Away is a masterpiece

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom