• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Favourite Champion?

Who's your favourite Champion of the league in the games ?

• Blue (R/B/Y, FR/LG)

Votes: 34 18.0%
  • Lance (G/S/C)

Votes: 33 17.5%
  • Steven (R/S)

Votes: 39 20.6%
  • Wallace (Emerald)

Votes: 5 2.6%
  • Cynthia (D/P/Pt)

Votes: 78 41.3%

• Total voters
So basically... bias.

I fail to see how Cynthia "failed" more or how she was one of the "most poorly written" characters. Also, lol, writing in Pokémon. Expecting character depth in it isn't exactly the best expectation to have.

When they helped you battle, it was because you were fighting two Trainers at once. Apparently it's OK if it's some twins down the road, but if it's evil guys it's "unfair". lol. Cyrus was alone in the Distortion World, and they wouldn't give the battle to Cynthia. Gameplay > Plot/Characters/Anything. Always. If it was up to them, they'd curbstomp the entire organizations on their own once they found out, but gameplay has the need to turn them into helpful NPCs. So... moot point.

As for her having you run errands she could do herself... she's interested in the character, and wants to help him/her get to new places and improve at his/her pace. She could do those things on her own, but what would be the point of that when she's already well traveled and knowledgeful? Why not help the blooming talent instead? So now that's an asshole move? I find Lance more of an asshole, personally. Helping in an already pathetically easy battle and taking down 3 Electrodes doesn't amounts to "ZOMFG AMAZING HELP HE PROVIDED WHAT A WELL-WRITTEN CHARACTER!!!". He basically made you do all the job, only gathering hints you would've found sooner or later on your own, and providing largely inconsequential help, if you can even call it that. Yes. I can also extrapolate a Champion's shortcomings.

Ultimately, besides Blue, every Champion is an ascended helpful NPC. All of them are as helpful and as superfluous as the one before or after. Anything else basically boils down to opinion. It just boogles the mind when there's some radical opinions like calling Cynthia a "worse" character for reasons that apply to pretty much every other Champion. Nice bias.

Lance by far. You know you're a badass if you wear a cape :lol:

Anyway, Lance has been in more games than any other champion, and he had a HUGE roll in G/S that set the standard for champions to come. I just think Lance is one of the coolest NPCs out there.

So basically... bias.

I fail to see how Cynthia "failed" more or how she was one of the "most poorly written" characters. Also, lol, writing in Pokémon. Expecting character depth in it isn't exactly the best expectation to have.

When they helped you battle, it was because you were fighting two Trainers at once. Apparently it's OK if it's some twins down the road, but if it's evil guys it's "unfair". lol. Cyrus was alone in the Distortion World, and they wouldn't give the battle to Cynthia. Gameplay > Plot/Characters/Anything. Always. If it was up to them, they'd curbstomp the entire organizations on their own once they found out, but gameplay has the need to turn them into helpful NPCs. So... moot point.

They did something. Not saying they are greatly developed characters. You said the only Champion who wasn't a sitting duck is Wallace. But the awfulness of the dialouge in the Cave of Origin in Emerald is immediately apparent. Yet he is my favourite champion. I recognize that bit of dialouge as the worst bit from Emerald.

The writing in Pokemon is far from great. But I felt that with Cynthia, they weren't even trying.

Blue. As a rival he was always one step ahead of you and that included beating the league. He's basically the original Champion. True, he was always a bit cocky but I liked that; its good to have confidence. Also, as seen in Generation 2/4 he at least learned some humility after his loss against Red. As far as pokemon go I liked his roster the best for its variety. iUts true he wasn't traveling to different regions like Cynthia when he was champion, but remember, he was champion for like 2 weeks before Red came and beat him. Also, even after he was no longer Champion and became a Gym leader, his pokemon were still on that Champion level.

To me, Lance always had the sort of regal look and bearing that a champion should have. And his battle music was epic, he's my 2nd favorite. However, his team...SMH, 3 Dragonites!!! Always thought that was awful.

Steven comes in third, but I like him for the opposite reason I like Lance. He doesn't have that regal bearing. Like Blue he kinda seems like just a normal guy that also happens to be Champion.

Last edited:
Cynthia is by far the most awesome champion in pokémon games.
In my opnion: Blue is dumb, has a poor design and a miserable team.

Last edited:
Hey Mods, how about moving this thread to the Contest Hall and merging it with this one? The Contest Hall didn't exist back when I made this thread.

Dragon Master Lance because his dragon team is awesome and I love Dragons i even have a pure dragon team on my Pokemon SS game

Cynthia for me (representing for the females xP)
Lance with his 3 Dragonites got on my nerves in SS. And I struggled against Wallace but that was because my team was under leveled xP. I haven't battled Green yet because I haven't touched my FireRed since I beat Giovanni XD and I don't have Ruby or Sapphire so I never battled Steven as the champion, but he was challenging in Emerald in that cave.

i gotta say blue
the shock when i saw he was the champion for the first time
that was cool
lance in a close second

I have to say Cynthia. Her team was epic and she had an awesome battle intro.

Steven, I love the steel type, and he's a fucking badass.

Cynthia. hot, badass, intelligent, she is just plain epic (in all forms; anime, game, manga). Her garchomp pwns. & I'm sure her Wargle will too

Cynthia, she's so cool! My favorite character from DPPT. And hot too, ahahahaha. I'm very glad that she appears again in BW.

Cynthia was my 2nd choice, but I chose Steven particularily because of his epicness and his team.

Cynthia. She has a cool team, nice design and epic music. The fact that she's the only female champion is a plus too.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom