• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Favourite English Opening(s)?

Favourite English Opening(s)?

• Pokemon Gotta Catch Them All

Votes: 28 43.8%
  • Pokemon World (Orange Islands)

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Whole New World (Johto Journeys)

Votes: 25 39.1%
  • Born To Be A Winner (Johto League Champions)

Votes: 15 23.4%
  • Believe In Me (Master Quest)

• I Want To be A Hero (Advanced)

Votes: 12 18.8%
  • This Dream (Advanced Challenge)

Votes: 16 25.0%
  • Unbeatable (Advanced Battle)

Votes: 18 28.1%
  • Battle Frontier

Votes: 8 12.5%
  • Diamond and Pearl Rap

• Total voters
I'm kinda surprised they were told to take out the pokemon rather than the clips. Because I'm sure that wouldn't have been done if Japan had told them to take out the whole shot.

But I'm surprised they didn't take the whole thing out anyway, since it would have been easiest to splice in a different shot than remove a whole pokemon that moves around. But I suppose the editors and digital paint people must have a massive contract or one hell of a union.

I'm not particularly fond of any of them bar the first Johto opening. Someone else in this thread said it best when they stated it captured the same essence that was present in 'OK'.
Everything else either sounds too similar is just plain intolerable imo.
4Kids got the Japanese animators to create new scenes for their opening. Probably because the fourth Japanese opening had a lot of scenes with the pokemon's names written out in Japanese that "couldn't" be used.

I hope at some point that Johto League champions opening animation makes it to DVD, restored in the correct order. It's pretty damn obvious that 4Kids cut and paste that thing to kingdom come, with various parts of the opening that would fit together seemlessly being thrown around to moments where they don't make any real sense. And I'm sure there's bound to be some stuff that was left on the cutting room floor.

I'd say about 95% of the fourth Japanese opening theme was left on the cutting room floor by 4Kids, actually. I think the only part they left in was a shot of Satoshi running up some stairs.

I actually hate all the Pokemon english openings
they are horible and they make me want to throw a chair out the window and yell at feild mice!
4kids is like an evil goat who tries to screw up all your favourite entertainment with its horns!

4Kids got the Japanese animators to create new scenes for their opening. Probably because the fourth Japanese opening had a lot of scenes with the pokemon's names written out in Japanese that "couldn't" be used.

Wow, THAT would explain alot! I thought that maybe they where taken from a game opening or something but that’s pretty cool how the English version had animation made exclusively for this purpose ^.^

So the Japanese never had any of this animation anywhere? How did 4Kids get the Japanese to do this though? Did it come with a Japanese song to? Sorry for all of the questions ^^;;

I hope at some point that Johto League champions opening animation makes it to DVD, restored in the correct order. It's pretty damn obvious that 4Kids cut and paste that thing to kingdom come, with various parts of the opening that would fit together seemlessly being thrown around to moments where they don't make any real sense. And I'm sure there's bound to be some stuff that was left on the cutting room floor.

Oooo, that would be really amazing if they did release the complete version of the opening instead of keeping it locked up forever in their clutches. I always thought that the JLC opening looked pretty choppy when it came to selecting clips but even so, it is still one of my favourite openings. I wonder if it would possibly have an extended version of the song.

Thanks everyone

I'd say about 95% of the fourth Japanese opening theme was left on the cutting room floor by 4Kids, actually. I think the only part they left in was a shot of Satoshi running up some stairs.

Oh, no, no, I'm not talking about the original Japanese footage. I'm talking about the stuff they ordered specifically for their own version of the opening, like the shot of the gym leaders and Ash flying on Charizard's back etc.
I know it may seem odd to suggest that they wouldn't use something they actually asked for in the first place, but there are far to many awkward jumps from scenes that would have otherwise fit together quite easily, and parts that seem strangely random (3 of the first gym leaders then Clair? Noctowl using Quick attack for no apparent reason?). I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they had made an entire minute and a half worth of brand new footage for 4Kids.

Oooooooooooooh. I see.

Well...who knows? It's hard to imagine that 4Kids would pay for footage that they end up not using, so I'm tempted to say that what we see in that opening is all that was commissioned.

Then again, they spent money for a dubbed version of "We Are!" that they ended up not using for One Piece, so it's hard to tell.

animeforever said:
So the Japanese never had any of this animation anywhere? How did 4Kids get the Japanese to do this though? Did it come with a Japanese song to? Sorry for all of the questions ^^;;

Well, we know for a fact that 4Kids got the Japanese animators to create all-new scenes for the Celebi movie, so they probably had them go ahead and make some new opening animation while they were at it. I'm pretty sure the timing lines up for something like that to happen.

Well, we know for a fact that 4Kids got the Japanese animators to create all-new scenes for the Celebi movie, so they probably had them go ahead and make some new opening animation while they were at it. I'm pretty sure the timing lines up for something like that to happen.

Really!!!! I never knew they did that with the movie! What parts did they do and how do you find these things out?

They added in the scene near the end where Ash calls Oak, to make it clearer who Sammy was. I always thought that was stupid and unnecessary until I showed a fansub to a bunch of kids. They were confused as to why Oak had Sammy's notebook, so I told them that we see Sammy as an adult somewhere else in the film, and they thought he was Vicious.

In that moment, I understood why 4Kids felt the need to add that scene.

...although I still can't understand why they added the scene where JJ&M dive for the peach. Although hey, more Rockets, nothing wrong with that.

I'm going to vote for the movie version of Born to the a Winner and Pokémon World, because they have this "big show" feel. The extended version of Unbeatable also works for me. The others, not so much.

The best English ending song IMO is Cele-B-R-A-T-E.

The first one for me.the second is #2 and the one for pokemon advance is #3

However after diamond and pearl,they should've kept the japaneese opening for that one at least.

Pokemon Gotta Catch Them All - Oh c'mon. This is a golden classic and it brings back good old memories. Not just of the very first season, but also memories of my old school. *sigh* Me and my Pokemon-playing friends like this song a lot. One says that he doesn't, but he just doesn't want to admit it! :p So whenever he's around (he's in a different year level), we play that infamous Pokemon AMV by... who was it again? Smosh? But anyways, that's beyond the point... I still like this song, and I probably won't ever get sick of it. :p

Johto Journeys - Close second. If I didn't like Gotta Catch Them All so much, this would have been first. It has a nice tune and it gives you the feeling of a fresh, brand new start.

Of course, the other English openings are very good too (except for PUSA's...) like "Unbeatable". It's nice to know that there are some anime that have good English openings...

I like 'I want to be a hero'
I think it's a catchy tune for starters and I liked it how Ash chose to totally start again in the Hoenn saga and it goes together.

My favorite song Whole New World. Followed by the Orange theme.

"Be the best that you can be". What else do you need to like it?

Last edited:
Damn I stupidly only voted for one of them, I wanted to vote for Pokemon World and Born To Be A Winner as well as the DP theme. Damn damn. One of these days I'll have to find the instrumental of the DP theme that they play at the end. I haven't liked an opening theme since Johto Champions.

Whole New World, every time I play it, brings a large wave of nostalgia over me!

Whole New World, every time I play it, brings a large wave of nostalgia over me!

Totally agree. Those were the good days. Fresh from Kanto and Orange and adding in a new world of Pokemon before the Hoenn generation blew it up.

Now if only the writers had that kind of mindset like we did.

Please note: The thread is from 16 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom