• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Favourite NFE Pokemon

Jeef

Reaction score
Which are your favourite Pokemon that are not-fully evolved? Or: Which Pokemon do you like more than their evolved forms?

For me, it's:

Bulbasaur > Venusaur
Bulbasaur for me is simultaneously cute and bad-ass!

Machop > Machamp
Ugh, those extra arms are just ugly, and then there is Machoke which has its skin splitting open or something. But I love Machop though!

Haunter > Gengar
Manages to be both creepy and goofy at once. Gastly is pretty cool too, and I also like it better than Gengar.

Roggenrola > Gigalith
Reminds me of a Bomb-omb!

Dewott > Samurott
Based off of looks, never trained one.

I'd say Zigzagoon. Such a cute-looking Pokémon that is actually useful to find items after every battle ^-^

Gothorita. Cause there's something a bit too Creepy about Gothitelle

Croagunk. Better design then Toxicroak, IMHO

There's probably more but it's too early to think.

Mienfoo! That thing is pretty cute. I used one once and didn't evolve it whatsoever. Even though it had crummy stats, and fully evolved Pokemon are better, I just done this for fun. I still love it's evolved forme Mienshao, however.

Vigoroth > Slaking: Needless to explain.
Grovyle > Sceptile: Sceptile's tail and baldness are just weird. Grovyle looks so much better.
Vanillish > Vanilluxe: Vanillish has a nice and cute design, Vanilluxe is just a Generation I-like boring and uninspired evolution. :/
Flaaffy > Ampharos: Ampharos looks weird and doesn't look like a sheep at all.
Dewott > Samurott: Samurott is hideous.
Gothorita > Gothitelle: Gothitelle is also hideous.
Croagunk > Toxicroak: Toxicroak is hideous as well.
Charmeleon > Charizard: Charmeleon looks so badass, why does it evolve in that thing with a huge neck and abnormal fat belly?
Kirlia > Gardevoir and Gallade: Kirlia looks perfect, it is impossible to create an evolution that looks better than it. Also, I despise Gallade's design.

:p

Why am I not seeing Dragonair getting mentioned? :p
Dragonite may be strong, but I always press B on Dragonair cos IMO it looks the most elegant of all Pokemon.

One word. Togepi. Togetic's OK, but it loses its "cuteness" when it evolves.

"The more evolved a Pokemon, the less cute it is"

-me

Snivy>Serperior: Serperior is good but Snivy is just so cool, cute AND elegant!:)

Sentret. More a flying squirrel than a ferret the Furret was based on, and he is a Normal-type squirrel, not an Electric-type squirrel like Pachirisu and Emolga. I think we need more squirrels of other types.

I'd say Zigzagoon. Such a cute-looking Pokémon that is actually useful to find items after every battle ^-^

My first thought as well. It's both better looking and more useful.

And I don't like the new evolutions that showed up in Gen 4, so I end up keeping my Elebuu as it is. The new Pokemon looked so fat and clumsy.

Dewott - it's design I like so much better than Samurott's. A Samurai on two legs still instead of 4.
Mienfoo - I love its design. I don't like how Mienshao looks, stands, or how its arms are when it is standing still and not attacking.
Zorua - it's absolutely adorable. Zoroark I like, but its design isn't as good as Zorua's for me.

A few for me:

Scyther > Scizor: I just never liked Scyther's G2 form all that much. Prefer the original.
Quilava > Typhlosion: Maybe it's the flaming mohawk...
Mienfoo > Mienshao: Mienshao isn't bad, but Mienfoo is such a really, really cute thing. Never really liked the aesthetic of most Fighting types, but Mienfoo is definitely an exception.

I also will agree that Mienfoo is better looking than Mienshao. I never used one in the games, but that's because I didn't want Mienshao and I don't usually like keeping a Pokemon unevolved. It's just a weird thing for me.

A few others that I like are Dewott, Munchlax, Surskit (mainly because of its typing), Electabuzz, and Magmar. Electabuzz and Magmar's evolutions both are ugly to me. :/

Duskull>Dusclops and Dusknoir. Dusclops and Dusknoir are great Pokémon and not at all ugly, but I prefer Duskull's design.

Dragonair, Dragonair, Dragonair. I love Dragonair and it used to be my favorite pokemon. Dragonair > Dragonite. You can't escape the truth.

Other NFE pokemon, I like:

Cleffa: It's shaped like a little star. It is adorable. I like it's evolved forms still, but it's a fact that Clefairy is fat and Clefable is creepy, so they really aren't as good.
Magby: It's cute! It has a little duck mouth! I love it!
Elekid: It's a plug, how awesome is that? Also, it's freaking cute.
Okay, let's just go ahead and say All baby pokemon (except for Pichu, because Pikachu. Do I need to explain this one?)

Others include:

Litwick: It's final evolved form, Chandelure, is my absolute favorite pokemon, but if it didn't have any evolved forms and was just Litwick, as a stand-alone pokemon, I would still love it to pieces, even though it would suck, battle-wise.
Lotad: Ludicolo is also awesome, but Lotad is just so adorable. I love Lotad, just as they are. I wish I had a pond with just a bunch of Lotad living in it. That would rule.
Swadloon: all the pokemon in this family are awesome, but swadloon in particular is just great. He's just so cute and grumpy! It makes me want to snuggle it just to piss it off, also because it's adorable.
Yamask: Cofagrigas is equally as cool, or maybe cooler, but like with Litwick, I would have loved it even if it didn't evolve, it has a great design.
Spheal: for the same reasons everyone else has mentioned. It's a perfectly round, fat seal. It might as well be genetically engineered for cuteness.
Teddiursa: It's cute and always licking it's paw, d'aaaww~!

NFE Pokemon I like better than their evolutions:

Trubbish > Garbodor: It's CUTE. I don't care what anyone says! When I first saw it, I was like, holy crap, why do I find this bag of trash so adorable? It's infinitely better than Garbodor, who isn't awful, but still isn't that great, either.

Shroomish > Breloom: It's a cranky mushroom, how can it get any better than that? It can't! That's why it evolves into the fighting Breloom, who is obviously just pissed that he's not still a Shroomish. Anger issues?

Purrloin > Liepard: a terrible pokemon, but I loved it anyway. I kept using one long after it started dragging me down just because I loved it so much. Liepard is okay but IMO Purrloin could have used a cooler looking evolution.

@NoirGrimoir

I especially feel you on the explanation for Cleffa, Swadloon, Spheal, Teddiursa, and Trubbish. Swadloon is soooo soo soooo huggable haha!

Meltan is somewhat cute, but Melmetal is just so ugly.
Mime Jr., as Kantonian Mr. Mime is creepy. The Galarian variant is better, but then it evolves into Mr. Rime, who is just hideous.
Rhydon, as I dislike Rhyperior's colour scheme, tail shape and body structure.
Braixen and Torracat - both look sleek and elegant, and Delphox and Incineroar are so disappointing.

Magnezone is cool but for some reason, I always preferred Magneton. Maybe I find a mind-linked trio of floating magnet bots more visually interesting than a metal UFO?

Dusclops and Dusknoir is a close one. They're both appealing in different ways. Dusclops is a mummy crossed with a yokai crossed with a black hole while Dusknoir has interesting lore as a psychopomp in the Pokemon setting.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom