• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Favourite Pokémon to start a battle with?

Oswin

Reaction score
Does anyone have a favourite Pokémon to start a match with? For me it's my Manectric, because unless it's a ground type Pokémon I can either Thunder, Thunder Wave or Flamethrower the target. Oh and it has Quick Attack for any Focus Sash users.

So what's yours?

Weavile, Whimsicott, Arcanine.

These are great leads for me when I start a battle. My main team's lead is Whimsicott :p

Weavile, Whimsicott, Arcanine.

These are great leads for me when I start a battle. My main team's lead is Whimsicott :p

I love Whimsicott, I had him on my first playthrough, he was a fluffy little god when it came to battles. Personally I like Meinshao, Fake Out, Taunt then High Jump Kick, and U-Turn if things get shaky

I love Whimsicott, I had him on my first playthrough, he was a fluffy little god when it came to battles. Personally I like Meinshao, Fake Out, Taunt then High Jump Kick, and U-Turn if things get shaky

You have given me an idea for a good lead! Mienshao has destroyed a lot of my lead strategies in the past (excluding my Whimsicott) and as a late sweeper with Hi Jump Kick. It's a great lead and Pokemon to use and I'll start training one, so thanks for that.

Thanks for the info..
52.gif

Scrafty, because he can easily scout anything that's about to come in, and I can switch into my Ghost-type immediately if the foe will pull off a Fighting-type move.

I love starting with Meinshao.
I can Fake-Out with Normal Gem and then I can either use the extremely powerful Hi Jump Kick or the now boosted Acrobatic. Or I can just U-Turn out and regain some HP if I need to. But I'm in big trouble if I meet a Ghost-type (like Jellicent).

I also really like to start with my Darmanitan or my Starmie.
Darmanitan because he can wreck havoc on the opponent's team with Sheer Power + Life Orb-boosted Flare Blitz, as well as Earthquake and SuperPower. And then I can U-Turn out of trouble if the going gets tough or he's been weakened by the side-effect of SuperPower.
I like starting with Starmie because of it's incredible Speed and it's movepool. With Psychic, Surf, ThunderBolt and Ice Beam you know that you're going to have an answer to pretty much anything the opponent sends out.

Zoroark, because I love messing with people.

As for double battles, I love leading with Landorus and Thundurus. Earthquake/ Discharge spam FTW! This combo could substitute other Pokemon in their place, like Gliscor and/or Zapdos, but those 2 are my favorite. :)

I love my Vaporeon. Always start with him in the HG Battle Frontier and he very infrequently gets knocked out. <3

I like using Mienshao because of Fake Out, U-turn, and its good Attack and Speed.

Accelgor (Yawn>Protect>U-turn) for in-game battles/Subway.

Baton passer Umbreon or Galvantula competitively.

Arceus.

Competitively, I don't stick to any particular Lead. In UU, I go for an anti-Lead that's fast and can hit hard, and with OU I usually go for something that can set up Stealth Rocks/Spikes. In-game, I just lead with whatever my lowest leveled Pokémon happens to be, or, in Gyms, the Pokémon that has the best type matchup.

In Black, I lead with my Zoroark. Then Kyurem, then Volcarona.

In HeartGold, it's Typhlosion, then Ho-oh, then Lugia, then Mewtwo.

In Platinum, it's Giratina, then Empoleon.

Or just whoever has a type advantage. Whatever.

Hydreigon, Hydreigon and Hydreigon.
Oh, i forgot to mention that my hydra holds a choice specs or scarf.
I'm generally one pokemon up by the end of the first turn, especially if am using the specs variant.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom