• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Favourite starters' first stages, middle evolutions and final evolutions?

Favourite stages of a starter?

• Bulbasaur

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Ivysaur

Votes: 8 40.0%
  • Venusaur

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • Charmander

Votes: 5 25.0%
  • Charmeleon

• Charizard

• Squirtle

• Wartortle

• Blastoise

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Chikorita

Votes: 6 30.0%
  • Bayleef

• Meganium

• Cyndaquil

Votes: 10 50.0%
  • Quilava

• Typhlosion

• Totodile

Votes: 7 35.0%
  • Croconaw

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Feraligatr

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • Treecko

• Grovyle

• Sceptile

• Torchic

Votes: 10 50.0%
  • Combusken

• Blaziken

• Mudkip

• Marshtomp

• Swampert

• Turtwig

• Grotle

• Torterra

• Chimchar

• Monferno

• Infernape

• Piplup

• Prinplup

• Empoleon

• Snivy

• Servine

• Serperior

• Tepig

• Pignite

• Emboar

• Oshawott

• Dewott

• Samurott

• Chespin

• Quilladin

• Chesnaught

• Fennekin

• Braixen

• Delphox

• Froakie

• Frogadier

• Greninja

• Rowlet

• Dartrix

• Decidueye

• Litten

• Torracat

• Incineroar

• Popplio

• Brionne

• Primarina

Votes: 11 55.0%

• Total voters

Hojewmire

Reaction score
Recently I'm seeing plenty of threads about which one is the worst evolutionary stage of a starter so, I'm going on and instead ask you in this thread which actually is your favourite.
It's a multiple choice poll; this way you can pick/choose every evolutionary stage of a starter you like the most.

Alright my favorite full lines are: Bulbasaur, Cyndaquil, Treecko, Torchic, Piplup, Snivy, Tepig, Oshawott, Chespin, Fennekin, Rowlet, and Popplio.

Lines were I only like one or two are: Mudkip and Swampert, and Litten.

My favorite full lines are Cyndaquil, Treecko, Torchic, Turtwig, Chimchar, Tepig, Fennekin, Froakie, Litten, and Popplio.

Lines where I only like one/two of them: Ivysaur, Charizard, Bayleef, Dewott, and Decidueye.

My favorite first stage is Rowlet because adorable grass owl that's shaped like a sphere, my favorite mid-stage is Torracat because big strong cat on four legs and it's animations are absolutely amazing. And Typhlosion is my favorite final stage evo because absolutely boss looking and also it was my first Pokemon.

My favorite first stage is Popplio. I love that adorable thing. Primarina is my favorite fully evolved stage, its so majestic, but also is a good battler. Out of all the middle evolutions, i have to say Quilava stands out the most for me.

Favorite first stage: Charmander

Favorite second stage: Ivysaur, Charmeleon, or Monferno

Favorite third stage: Torterra

First stage: I like Totodile, Torchic, Mudkip, Tepig, Snivy and Rowlet for how adorable they are.
Middle stage: Wartortle for its quirky design, Torracat, Braixen and Quilava for their sleek build.
Final stage: Swampert, I like the fact it looks derpy yet powerful. I'm also fond of Typhlosion, Torterra, Empoleon, Samurott, Serperior, Greninja, Chesnaught, Primarina and Decidueye.

Time to break it up into regions!

Kanto Starters
First Stage:
I have always found Charmander the cutest of the three.
Middle Stage: Wartortle. I love its ears and tail so much... and then it has to evolve. :\
Final Stage: It's a tie between Venusaur and Charizard. Because they're not Blastoise.

Johto Starters
First Stage:
I love the tiny baby gator. Totodile is the most adorable chubby gator baby ever.
Middle Stage: I love the long, more slender body Quilava has and the fact it's got two spots where fire flares up.
Final Stage: I love Meganium's flower necklace and its antenna. I blame Team Fourstar's Nuzlocke for endearing this guy to me so much. MUUURSTAKE!

Hoenn Starters
First Stage:
Nothing beats the cuteness of a fluffy baby chicken. Fite me (90-0)9
Middle Stage: I can't really choose between Grovyle and Combusken.
Final Stage: Sceptile is amazing and I will never regret picking him for my playthrough of Alpha Sapphire.

Sinnoh Starters
First Stage:
Chimchar. Because it does not remind me of Dawn's Piplup. Also I want to hug it and carry it around in a little carrier like a baby.
Middle Stage: Skiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiip
Final Stage: Infernape. I like its colors and it's my preferred of the three Fire/Fighting starters.

Unova Starters
First Stage:
Snivy's design was always my favorite of the three starters. Tepig is just a generic pig for me and Oshawott... my first reaction when it was revealed was to have my fear of clowns triggered by its face and ears looking a bit like hair. Now? I can only imagine Ash's Oshawott. And he's riiiiight up there with Dawn's Piplup on the hate pile.
Middle Stage: Dewott is adorable. Servine is eh and Pignite is... really round. It must be hard being a fighting type your opponent can toss like a medicine ball.
Final Stage: Emboar is my favorite here. Serperior is a very close second as long as those leaves on its torso aren't arms. Drives me nuts. Have you tried standing for any length of time with your arms behind your back like that? Shoulders get uncomfortable heckin fast I tell you what. Also I just really hate the Dewott > Samurott change.

Kalos Starters
First Stage:
NOTHING BEATS A BABY FENNEC FOX. NOTHING. NOT EVEN A FLUFFY BABY CHICKEN. FENNEKIN WAS THE STARTER I ALWAYS WANTED.
Middle Stage: Braixen is so witchy-feeling and pretty and I love it.
Final Stage: Chesnaught. You thought I was gonna pick Delphox didn't you. Nope, Chesnaught just looks so dang cool. SO. DANG. COOL. Also its shiny colors are amazing.

Alola Starters
The entire Litten Line. Cats are my favorite animal you guys. And this line is my favorite starter type AND BECOMES A DARK TYPE HEEL WRESTLER. INCINEROAR IS BEST ALOLAN FINAL STAGE STARTER. FIGHT ME!!

The entire Bulbasaur, Cyndaquil, Mudkip, Turtwig, Oshawott, Chespin, and Popplio lines by generation, narrowed down to Cyndaquil (obviously), Turtwig, and Popplio by types and then to Cyndaquil overall, whose whole evolution line I chose for the poll. An honourable mention has to go to the Chikorita line for being a consistently enjoyable PMD protagonist pick.

The thing about me and starter lines is that I'll start off liking one of them and then my good thoughts end up bleeding into the entire set and melding each trio together as one package, following which it's always either all or none of them. Yeah, this means I like Grotle over the evidently more popular Grovyle.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom