• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Favourites affected by Involvement in Competitive Battling

Reaction score
Here, I would like to ask: Had being involved in competitive battling affected what your favourite Pokemon are, from before you conducted competitive battling? Basically the question asks if you favour strong Pokemon and dismissed weaker Pokemon because of this, thinking they are worthless.

I am not really involved in competitive battling myself (besides Battle Frontier), but I read up on them and understand them. I think that competitive battlers didn't like baby Pokemon and only favour the strong and the useful, but I am sure some of them used to like certain Pokemon before (like Farfetch'd) then when they learn he/she's not useful, they dislike him/her already.

As for me, I used to base my preferences on the strength on the Pokemon when I learnt about competitive batting (there is a thing called tiers), but then I decided that my favourites are not going to be affected by it, and well, I felt free to choose my favourites.

So, just in case you forgot the question, did being involved in competitive battling influence your favourite and unfavourite Pokemon?

Fact is some Pokemon do great in competitive battling. Others don't. It's unfortunate if a Pokemon like Farfetch'd, Luvdisc, or Lumineon is your favorite, because no matter what you'd do, it simply wouldn't be able compete with other, more powerful Pokemon. In competitive battling, you have to use the strongest Pokemon available if you want to succeed - not your favorites. Yeah, Karen is a liar.

Fortunately, this isn't the case in-game, where you can still use weaker Pokemon viably.

No. I still like Pidgeot and Golem and Luxray. If anything, Competitive has given me a new aprecesion for Heatran.

In competitive battling, you have to use the strongest Pokemon available if you want to succeed
Thing is, it has much more merit if you manage to succeed with weaker ones. Of course there are situations where not even all the strategy in the world will save you (namely uncounterable threats), but otherwise it's not outright impossible to win.

... Though that doesn't count as "wanting to succeed", as you are giving advantage to your opponent. So yeah, you are right.

Gallade is my favorite Pokemon, but it still fares pretty well in competitive battling (even though it's outclassed by Lucario).

I've loved Scizor from the day I first saw it, and thankfully it's getting better each generation :p

No, competitive battling has not affected my opinion on Pokemon. I still think the monkey is a piece of shit, I still don't like to use Legendary Pokeomon and I still prefer Grass types even though OU is not that friendly towards them.

Fact is some Pokemon do great in competitive battling. Others don't. It's unfortunate if a Pokemon like Farfetch'd, Luvdisc, or Lumineon is your favorite, because no matter what you'd do, it simply wouldn't be able compete with other, more powerful Pokemon. In competitive battling, you have to use the strongest Pokemon available if you want to succeed - not your favorites. Yeah, Karen is a liar.

Fortunately, this isn't the case in-game, where you can still use weaker Pokemon viably.

I agree with this to some extent. Some Pokemon, like Farfetch'd and Lumineon, are (unfortunately) irredeemably bad. That said, just because a Pokemon isn't OU doesn't mean it sucks. If anything, competitive battling has made me work harder to make my favorite Pokemon (Venusaur) useful in standard play. The number of useful Pokemon greatly depend on the metagame that's popular at the moment. You can bet that Fire types would run rampant if Stealth Rock lost popularity. Similarly, Tyranitar and Hippowdon in OU mean that all non-Sandstorm weather is pretty much useless, but their absence from UU makes weather much more common there.

A lot of UU Pokemon are quite viable in OU (Venusaur, Milotic, Sceptile, Blastoise, Alakazam, etc) and others just aren't OU because they're outclassed by better Pokemon (Blaziken, Feraligatr) but are still usable.

Then there's the fact that the ladder in Smogon is largely populated by noobs who think OU=good, everything else=crap and won't try other viable Pokemon from a lower tier, thus the metagame remains largely stagnant.

Thing about Pokemon tiers is that they're based on popularity more than usefulness. What I mean is that depending on the metagame, some Pokemon are gonna be more popular than others, but the others aren't bad. They just have a hard time competing in the metagame presented to them.

Suffice it to say that while some Pokemon are bad (Seaking lol), others (the majority) are just unlucky enough to have to deal with unfavorable metagames. So, if your favorite Pokemon lands in the latter category, keep that in mind, because what I'm trying to say is that being of a lower tier doesn't make it bad, just unlucky and if you strategize correctly, you can make them work.

I've lost my passion for Flareon because gamefreak hates it.

It really makes me want to program my own metagame that buffs the unloved, forgettable monsters.

Love furrets and farfetch'd. I think you know what happens if one of those goes up against a salamence.

Mmm... no, not at all. I had Wi-fi for the first year that Diamond and Pearl were out, before the signal got funky and wouldn't let my DS use it properly. I just recently got a new router, and my Wi-fi synced to my DS, but it still hasn't changed.

After being confined to the Battle Tower for two years straight, before Platinum came out, I learned to use whatever I had to go all out and I was forced to come up with different strategies for most of the available fully evolved Pokemon. I didn't realize it until I had done a few single battles in the 6th round of the Tower (which is battles 36-42) that the team I had with me was composed of only Water types. After the battles, I went back into my PC box and realized that I had made a team of 5 Water Pokemon that would be able to benefit from each other's moves. 2 had Rain Dance, and the other moves had to do with dealing enough damage to the opponent, so that if/when the previous Pokemon is taken out by the enemy, the next one would be able to take it down without much of a problem.

And that's just with 5 out of the 200 or so that I trained for the Tower during those two years.
/end long post

It's not really a case of 'Is it storng or weak' because if you train any Pokemon it can be powerful.

For me, it's more of how people use them. Before comp. battling, I didnt mind Smeargle. But now, I really dislike it because people just spam Dark Void on it. It's not really the Pokemon's fault though.

It's all in my signature:
Thank you, Stealth Rock, for turning one of the most awesome Pokémon of all time into a worthless lump. I hope you're satisfied.
R.I.P. Charizard 1998-2007

There are some Pokemon I am surprised about the usefulness of, which I think is good. On the other hand, some Pokemon who was labeled "outclassed", which is bad, because that sounds very materialistic (no doubt the game is, anyway).

Wobbuffet - Never thought he's extremely useful, even though he only learns a select few moves, but he is still too good. Luckily he didn't learn Magic Coat.
Smeargle - Who would have thought that the ability to learn any move in the game (except for Chatter, which is not for him anyway) would make him so good? Never mind the abysmal stats, because you can gather all the useful moves to make him work!
Dunsparce - He may not seem much, but having the ability Serene Grace and the moves to paralyze are really annoying.
Breloom - I am, for one, glad that Breloom is a deadly Pokemon, while still being a Grass-type. If you don't know, Breloom learns the essential Spore, which is a guaranteed sleep on the opposing Pokemon, and has a very high attack.
Linoone - Imagine my surprise when I learn that one of the most common mammals in the games is very useful. He learns a powerful go-first attack move, have the ability to maximise attack, and has some type coverage as well.

I would say yes it affected me a lot for the most part. Usually I was, and still kinda am, too lazy to spend hours thinking up of a team and testing every single possibility and etc to see what is good with what Pokemon, so I would usually throw Pokemon together that I know worked well and I knew that would get the job done. Even though Dragonite at the time was OU I nearly never used it, except when I would just want to play for fun. Usually I would have just used Garchomp/Latias/Salamence(depending on the metagame at the time) over Dragonite because well...they have what he didn't..speed because my teams were mostly hyper offense at all times. Now due to those 3 dragons being banned, and well having access to Shoddy I use Dragonite a lot more often now....and I started giving other Pokemon a chance as well because 4th gen is basically over and done for and I really can't be bothered to play seriously at all times(and who knows how badly Smogon might want to fuck up the metagame by the time it really ends). I've neglected a few of my other favorites(like Raichu and Blastoise, especially since I whore OU like 90% of the time) but Dragonite being my all time favorite I've neglected him the most.

Scizor has been my favorite since I first saw him way back in the GSC era. I'm not a competitive battler and back then, I probably wouldn't even have known what you meant with competitive battling. Scizor just looked cool and was fun to use.

Nope. As untactical as it may be, I usually don't make a team out of pokémon I don't like.

Also Vileplume isn't usefull in competative battling, and yet still one of my favourites. Of course, learning that your favourite pokémon is a beast is also pretty cool.

Also I usually play UU, because many more pokémon can shine down there, among with my favourites.

After seeing how many people use the same Pokemon over & over again in Competitive Battling, I've come to appreciate the lesser known/used Pokemon that we have. I've tried so hard to make a good team using my favorites (Golduck, Venomoth, Ampharos, Torterra, etc.), but with the way battling is nowadays it's really hard to do.

Ahhh yes. Competitive threads, always interesting to me *smirk*

To answer this....hmn......

I guess I kind of always liked how Klefkey worked for this type of thing a lot. I'm not a hard core compeitive battler (mostly played on showdown which i'm not sure counts as much?), but the general scene is interesting to me since Pokemon battling is an interest of mine (especially since i see it as a hobby my current crush, korrina, seems VERY fond of~).

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom