• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Features from past games you want to return

Dorothy

My love is stronger than my fear of death
Reaction score
For me, it's small, but I want them to bring back a feature from Legends where trade evolutions could be evolved by exposure to their trade items or a Link Cable. Maybe they could introduce the Link Cable into SV as a very very rare item that serves as an alternate evolution method for Pokemon that otherwise evolve by trade.

112% agree with trade evolutions using the Link Cable. I loved that about Legends Arceus - it made the Pokedex so much less tedious to fill. There are many things from Legends Arceus I hope they retain, but I'd rather go more into older games:
  • Following Pokemon, but the Let's Go version where they not only follow you properly, but you can also ride your own Pokemon. Please let me ride my specific Pokemon and not some assigned one.

• I doubt this'll happen, but I'd love for the Pokewalker to make a return. Or something like it, which you hook up to the Switch. It was a good way to make some minor exercise feel fun whilst leveling up your guys and getting access to more Pokemon/items.

• I also enjoyed Poke Pelago from Sun/Moon and thought it was a great way to level my Pokemon more idly, as well as a bunch of other nifty features, like a random wild Pokemon showing up. I actually got myself a Shiny Lapras through this method.

Yes! Please keep the Link Cable!

Okay. I'm just going to say it, I would love to see them bring back some, or introduce some new mini-games like the ones they had in Amie in Generation 6 (I'm pretty sure the minigames were in ORAS, but I know for sure they were in X and Y), Idk why I just love them so much. especially the Head it one. I would literally spend hours just playing those games and collecting Pokepuffs. It was such a small feature, but I had so much fun with it.

Friend Safari is another thing from Gen 6 that I would love to see make a return, though maybe with some improvements so you be able to play locally since playing online now requires NSO. I always thought friend safari was a fun way to get shiny Pokemon, and it would be really cool if they made all sorts of different biomes for the different types of Pokemon you could encounter, and then you could just see them walk around in this super cool space.

Being able to throw your Pokemon out anywhere in the world as you can in Legends. I just loved throwing my Pokemon out and taking cute pictures with them, or lining them up for an aesthetic shot. It was just so fun.

I might come back if I can think of anything more.

Hah, seems like we all thought of the same things. What I want is:

-Let's go following. Because I want to ride, surf, fly on the pokémon I choose and not the ones the game forces me to. Also the following in SwSh AND BDSP sucked.

-Trade evolutions to be gone. Keep the Link Cable item and the others that require items+trade to be item only, please!!!!

-Shiny pokémon to be visible in the overworld.

-Friend Safari. It was such a good mechanic and incentivizes interaction a lot more than plain, old trading.

Keep the Frostbite status from LA. Having this be the direct Special Attack counterpart to Burn is one of the best ideas they've had in years, and let's be honest, would anyone really miss Freeze? Unlike other conditions I actively feel bad when I proc that one against my opponents because it's just... ugh, so stupid.

Keep the Frostbite status from LA. Having this be the direct Special Attack counterpart to Burn is one of the best ideas they've had in years, and let's be honest, would anyone really miss Freeze? Unlike other conditions I actively feel bad when I proc that one against my opponents because it's just... ugh, so stupid.

Keep the drowsy status effect as well.

i'm probs one of the few people who doesn't want the link cable back. having to trade has always been an integral part of pokemon, and they should continue to do stuff like this to incentivise it.

what i do want back is the pre-gen 6 exp share. useful but not broken. if they want to keep the modern exp share mechanics, at least allow me to turn it off.

Last edited:
Since this feature hasn't been mentioned yet, the ability to change your moves without having to delete one was very much appreciated. Not only is it a very convenient way to experiment with new moves and strategies but it also makes sense for your pokemon to remember all of the moves it has learned over the course of your journey. You also save time since you no longer need to travel to the move relearner and deleter. Tailoring your pokemon for specific battles really adds to the customizable experience that Pokemon is built around.
i'm probs one of the few people who doesn't want the link cable back. having to trade has always been an integral part of pokemon, and they should continue to do stuff like this to incentivise it.
There's always the possibility of having both options in the game. I imagine the Linking Cord could be a rare item that takes some time to grind multiples of and is found relatively late in the game.

There's always the possibility of having both options in the game. I imagine the Linking Cord could be a rare item that takes some time to grind multiples of and is found relatively late in the game.
This is exactly what I said in the OP. Have maybe 2-3 be available in the overworld and for any other trade evos, you either have to trade or grind a lot of BP at some facility to get more. That way, someone who just wants an Alakazam for their story team can use it without having to wrangle friends, and completionists are still incentivized to trade.

It doesn't fit in the region but I always want Pokestar Studios (or something similar with a new name) to come back. They were fun little puzzles.

Also hot take, I don't want Mega's to return, half of them were super OP and ruined the Meta and they had a tendency to mostly be post game.

I'd bring back contests, Mega evolutions, and B2W2's medals. Or if not medals, some other kind of achievement system. I've always liked those.

-Following Pokemon
-Pokemon Amie-like interactions with my pokemon
-Secret Bases. Hell it doesn't even have to be a secret base just let me collect crap and put it all over my character's room like in Gold and Silver. I just like decorating.
-Any activity I can do with my pokemon that isn't just throw ball and tell them to hit opponent
-Riding pokemon instead of a bike
-No rotom device
-No trade required- just use item on pokemon to evolve it. Also, link cable item. I am a 31 year old asperger inflicted introvert pokemon why do you hurt me this way.
-Some wild pokemon just wander up to you and are friendly. Bonus points for adding the ability to pat friendly pokemon.
-Give me back my makeup bag you utter cowards my characters need they lipstick
-those sticker things from sinnoh to give pokeballs unique animations. Basically just let me customize as much as I possibly can.
-TRAINER CARD CUSTOMISATION WAS FANTASIC.
-Clothing options that are more than just Clothing Item recolored so we only actually have like 10 unique pieces of clothing. x and y had some of the best clothing in my opinion.
-A rival that doesn't make me feel depressed when I beat them every time. For the love of god give me Green so I can kick dirt in his eyes or Silver so I can bop him on the head until he gets that pokemon are friends not tools. Even if I don't have to win the battle to progress the story, you lose money when you lose a battle so it's not like I can just throw the match or something so Hau or Hop don't go cry about it. And then there's those of us who play the nuzlockes...
-The actual villain group being the villains. I'm talking Team [Name]. Team Skull was not a villain group. Team skull was a bunch of disenfranchised youths I would 100% hang with and not just because I think their boss is cute. Team Yell was not a villain group. They were just Pier's Fanbase-Coworkers rallying for the player from their 'team' and doing whatever they could to help her win because... fans do stupid things. Aether Foundation and Macro Cosmos were the villain groups of their games.
-Story plot that does not require me catch the box legendary. Let the legends be just that- legends. Maybe the villain group manages to summon one, maybe they don't. Let the legends be something I can go find through a sidequest or something. If I have to fight one during the story, make it be a non-catch battle so it will go off to be catchable post-game.
-One event-only pokemon. And game content locked behind said event pokemon. Just hand whoever's lucky enough to get the event mon their mon. Don't make it so those of us who don't pay attention to pokemon game news 24/7 miss out on an event because we didn't learn about it until after the event expired (why would you make an event gift EXPIRE you sociopaths just leave the codes out there to be used whenever) or because we didn't buy the game immediately at release.

That's just what I've got off the top of my head.

Won't happen. It's clear by now that there are always gonna be some Pokemon who won't be transferable into each new game. Home is the future. Sucks but it's time to make peace with it.
Well too bad I can't. I'm still mad and I will complain about it on internet every new Gen for the rest of my life to very slowly decreasing degrees. Or you know they could always bring it back next Gen to get the "everyone is here" hype.

what i do want back is the pre-gen 6 exp share. useful but not broken. if they want to keep the modern exp share mechanics, at least allow me to turn it off.
I'm fine with allowing people to switch the Exp. Share off if they want to, but I don't get why it's such a sticking point for so many people. Do people not remember what grinding was like?

I'm fine with allowing people to switch the Exp. Share off if they want to, but I don't get why it's such a sticking point for so many people. Do people not remember what grinding was like?
Because GameFreak has consistently proven themselves unable to avoid breaking the level curve when Exp. Share is active and trying to do things like fill out your dex or explore too much makes your party overleveled and all the enemies become jokes.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom