• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Feelings towards your Pokémon?

I typically give my pokemon personalities. This was especially wonderful in HGSS because I could 'let them roam free' if I 'thought they wanted to'.

I do not, in general, become attached to ALL my pokemon. Those that I do are generally the ones that I had a very hard time getting (either hard time finding or a long catching process) or those that are very unique (starters, 'gifts', one off's). I think it's because I use these the most. The ones that I have a hard time getting are very rewarding, and the ones that are one-off or unique, well, need I say more?

Yes, I get attached. I can get very attached.

I don't feel terribly bad if I box members of my team; I know where they are and I figure that they've worked so hard that they deserve a nice long rest. But for members of my main team I admit I can get pretty attached.

In SS, I couldn't go anywhere without my Beedrill, Sting. He was my heavy hitter and the one that got me out of quite a few jams. He was usually my lead and could be a bit temperamental at times but I grew rather fond of him.

In Black, my Sawk and my Golurk are my "babies". They are almost always on my team and they are spoiled. I'm so fond of them that I swear, I think I love them a bit more than my starter. As far as Pokemon in general I am quite fond of Golett; I scour the GTS looking for them so I can take them in and give them a home. And no, I don't trade a Golett for a Golett. Once I get them, they stay with me.

And my shinies... well, I just adore the slag out of 'em. 'Nuff said.

That said, there are those that I breed/catch simply to trade. I figure I'm helping someone by offering them something that they don't have. In Gen IV it was female Combee; in this Gen it's the starters and the elemental monkeys. I may love 'em, but I know that they're needed elsewhere and I hope I've done my part to help a fellow fan out.

even though it's just a game, I really do have feelings for my pokemon. especially when they faint in battle.

I'll get attached to the ones that I've had for a long time, look cute, and/or I've leveled up a lot. 2 of them being my girl Charizard(lvl77), girl Jolteon(only lvl57) and guy Altaria(lvl78). But, mostly my Charizard and Jolteon. ;D

I've got a Luxray that I got as a shinx in my first play through of Platinum that I just love. I bring her over to all my games now (well heart gold and now white) and she's always first on my team. I loved HG/SS because she'd walk behind me and was so cute

I spoil Cytokinisa (female Reuniclus) for her efforts in the fight with Ghetsis and in the battle subway. I gave her like 4 Rare Candies after she finished off Bisharp in an epic 1-on-1 conclusion to the Ghetsis battle. And I NEVER use Rare Candies,

I once had an Infernape nicknamed Zack. I cheered him on after he brought me to victory, and because I was only renting Pokemon Pearl, I Poke Transferred him. Because I beat Pokemon Pearl, I wasn't as attached to Zack anymore, so I gladly traded him.

There are some Pokèmon who are closer to me than others:

My Infernape Daisuke. For being extremely epic and the first Pokèmon I leglimately trained to level 100.

My Raichu Rika. Second level 100 also I love Raichu.

My Shiny Pikachu. Evolved from a Pikachu-colored Pichu and often used as a mate to Rika. Although I keep releasing all of their offspring...

I care for my Pokémon, in some... way. I also care for natures, IVs, gender, abilities, moves but that doesn't mean I throw my old ones away. Because we went "through" so much. For example, I remember having my crappy Crobat in a Wi-Fi battle once, and at the end she totally owned out my opponent and that gave me a strong feeling towards her. I might raise another Crobat which is better, but you know, it can never replace my old one.

I also tend to get love-at-first-sight with some Pokémon. I obtained an Eevee and named it Jill, crappy nature, never battled with it or anything, I don't like eevevolutions, but I kept that Pokémon in my PC box because I still like it very much in some strange way.

Hmm, the only pokes I've recently become attached to are my shiny Latias, (who I just found out was hacked. :bawl:) and my Lilligant, who for some reason I find adorable.

Of course. That's one of the things I like about the game - I get immersed in it, and since the main character is pretty much faceless and voiceless, it's easy to put yourself in that position mentally. If nothing else, the Pokémon I use are my team, and we will collectively beat down whatever is put in front of us. We're a unit - we function together. We are legion - we are many. We stand together.

You get the idea.

Oh yes, my lvl. 100 EV-trained Impish Jolty is something I don't want to lose. I'm also kinda attached to my shiny Pelipper named Luckbringer, haha.

I don't understand how people CAN'T get attached to them.
You go through so much with them :3

TBH, I really think the series should include more interaction between the Trainers and their Pokemon.

Gradually, I grow very fond (and even proud) of my main team (even though they have hindering natures, not shiny, bad IVs, etc.). After all, you've gone through so much with them, and it's touching to see them grow from cute little weaklings into uber-strong behemoths together. A special mention goes to HGSS, the only Pokemon game that allowed extra interaction and supported bonds between you and your Pokemon. I am infuriated this didn't stay for BW.

However, I look upon Pokemon I haven't used at all very objectively, and will not hesitate to release them.

Oh yes... After EV training my pokemon. I become very fond of them..
My bonds withs my pokemon are why I EV train in the first place!
When it comes to battling I some times find myself cheering on my pokemon!

Though, It doesn't mean I never release pokemon, I do but not special ones.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom