• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Felly Plays Pokemon HeartGold

Felly

running on a loop
Reaction score
2Rfw3KP.png

Hello, everyone! I'm Felly, and I'm going to be playing through Pokemon HeartGold! I played the original GSC when I was a kid, but I've had HG for some time now and just haven't played through it. I started a Grass monotype nuzlocke on it a while back, but I lost interest in it pretty quickly. I guess nuzlockes just aren't really my thing because all two that I've done, I've lost interest in. So, I decided to just do a regular playthrough of HG instead! I'm trying to use Pokemon I haven't really used too much in the games to make it a little more exciting. Feel free to leave your comments and suggestions on making this better down below!

fpQEZWG.png

Yawn.

Hello, journal.

Wow, it's a little weird saying that. I don't think I ever thought I'd be writing in a journal ever again, but here I am. My name's Audra, by the way. I've been a resident of New Bark Town for as long as I've been alive.

I woke up this morning and went downstairs to say hi to my Mom, and apparently Ethan, one of the other New Bark Town residents, came by to tell me Professor Elm was looking for me. Professor Elm's a Pokemon researcher that set up his lab in the town. Not sure what drew him to it, but hey, whatever works for him, I guess. I told Mom I'd go and see him, but before I left, she gave me a bag for supplies (dunno why, I've got a few in my room I could've used), my Trainer card, and this journal. She said it'd be a good idea to keep a log of my journey; I didn't really want to, but hey, if it makes Mom happy, then I'll do it.

I walked outside, and I was greeted by Ethan's Marill. Ethan came by though, and Marill went back to his owner. I went to Professor Elm's lab, and he asked me to pick a Pokemon to walk around with it for research. He's been researching the behaviors of Pokemon while they walk with their Trainers. Mr. Pokemon also called and wanted me to go visit him to see what he had for the professor. I've always wanted a Pokemon and to see the world, so I agreed and chose Cyndaquil as my first Pokemon. I nicknamed her Flame. Before I left the lab, Professor Elm's assistant stopped me to give me some Potions.

I made a quick trip home to tell my Mom what I was up to and to let her meet Flame. She gave me my PokeGear back; I had to send it off for repairs, and it finally came back. Professor Elm stopped me on my way out of town, and he gave me his number in case I needed to call. I don't think I'd need to, but you never know.

When I arrived in Cherrygrove City, I was stopped by an old man who insisted on giving me a tour of the city. At the end of it all, he did give me a pair of running shoes, so I guess it was worth it in the end. I stopped at the Pokemon Center to heal Flame since we'd been doing some training together on our way to the city, and then I made my way towards Route 30. The old man stopped me again, and this time, he gave me the Map Card for my PokeGear. You know, I really wasn't feeling the tour of the city, but this old man has been great. Running shoes and a Map Card have been the best gifts ever. The tour really was worth it.

I poked my head into a house on Route 30, and a man gave me an Apricorn Box so I could start collecting them. I'd heard there was a guy in Johto that made Poke Balls from Apricorns, so I thought it'd be neat to start a little collection and get get him to make me some balls later in my journey. I arrived at Mr. Pokemon's house, where I received the Mystery Egg and his phone number for my PokeGear. I guess today's just a day full of gifts. He healed my Pokemon, which was nice because Flame and I were still training even as we made our way to his house. I also met Professor Oak, who gave me his number and the Pokedex to fill up. I thanked them for their time and left to make my way back to New Bark Town.

As soon as I got outside of the house, Professor Elm called me and told me I needed to hurry back. He sounded panicked, so I told him I'd be there as soon as I could. It took me about half a day just to get to Mr. Pokemon's house, so I told Flame we'd be putting any further training on hold since Professor Elm needed our help. I ran as fast as I could back to Cherrygrove City, and as I was making my way back to Route 29, I was stopped by a guy with red hair. I'd seen him before, standing outside of Professor Elm's lab, but I was never sure why. I thought he was a little weird, but to each their own. He wasn't bothering me, so I'd left him alone. Apparently he thinks all Pokemon are weak or something and then challenged me to a battle, so I accepted.

LyraChallenge.png
vs
VSSilver.png

Cyndaquil vs Totodile wasn't exactly an ideal match up, but both Pokemon were relatively low level, so thankfully there wasn't too much danger in it. I was able to defeat the red-haired boy, and before he was able to get away, I caught a glimpse of his Trainer Card and name. He seemed shocked that I'd gotten my hands on it, but at least I was able to get his name before he got away.

I got back to the lab, where I was immediately interrogated by the police. It seemed like they thought I did it since I came back to the lab, but thankfully Ethan cleared my name pretty quick. I guess it also helped that I'd caught a glimpse of the boy's name, Silver, since Ethan said it was him that stole the Totodile from the lab. The police thanked us for the information and went on their way. Hopefully they'd catch Silver. Professor Elm suggested I take the gym challenge, and I figured it was a good idea since it'd let me see the world. I'd always wanted to see the world anyways. I went home to let Mom know I was off to see the world, and she offered to help take care of my money. I declined the offer; I guess I'm a big kid now, so I figure I should learn how to manage my own money.

I ran into Ethan on Route 29, and he gave me a little tutorial on catching Pokemon before giving me a few Poke Balls and heading off on his own. I knew the first gym was in Violet City, so I headed there, training with Cyndaquil as I went. On Route 30, I was challenged by Youngster Mikey.

Spr_HGSS_Lyra.png
vs
Spr_HGSS_Youngster.png

I was able to beat him pretty easily. Flame and I have been training hard. It wasn't until I got to Route 31 that I saw the first Pokemon I was interested in, a Bellsprout. I caught him, and I nicknamed him Atlantic. Ethan caught up to me at the end of Route 31 and gave me the Vs. Recorder. I don't think I'll have a use for it, but I guess I'll just hold on to it anyways. I finally arrived at Violet City, and I went straight to the gym. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to battle the leader just yet; a man there told me I should go to Sprout Tower first to do some more training. I thought I was ready, to be honest, but I guess I would just have to do a little more training. It wouldn't hurt too much; Atlantic was still relatively new and a low level, so it wouldn't hurt to use the opportunity to get him some experience.

Unfortunately for me, Sprout Tower was a place where they worshipped Bellsprout. I guess it made sense, given it had "sprout" in the name, but I would have to use Flame for these battles to make this less tedious. The sages here were up for battling too, so I was quickly challenged by Sage Nico.

Spr_HGSS_Lyra.png
vs
Spr_HGSS_Sage.png

I led with Atlantic, but I swapped out to Flame to make things easier. It helped because Atlantic was getting a little bit of experience too. Sages Chow, Edmond, Jin, and Neal also challenged me as I made my way up to the top of the tower. I saw Silver again as I approached the elder, and apparently this kid has some anger issues because he just seems to think every Pokemon is weak. I guess he beat the elder though, so if he could do it, I could... though I already had no doubts about that since Flame's been breezing through this place. I gave the elder a second to recover his Pokemon, and then I challenged him.

Spr_HGSS_Lyra.png
vs
Spr_HGSS_Li.png

I was able to beat him with ease, and for my victory and successful completion of the Sprout Tower, I received TM 70, Flash. I thanked the Elder for his time and used the Escape Rope I picked up before the battle to leave. I took a quick trip to the Pokemon Center to heal Flame and Atlantic, and then I headed to the gym. I challenged the two trainers there, Bird Keeper Ace and Rod.

Spr_HGSS_Lyra.png
vs
Spr_HGSS_Bird_Keeper.png

I beat both of them with ease too. Flame's gotten pretty strong since I first got her at Professor Elm's lab. I'd already decided she was going to be the star of the show for this gym; Atlantic wouldn't fare too well in a Flying type gym, so there was no point in wasting his energy on these battles. Flame evolved into Quilava before I challenged Falkner, but I used a Potion to heal her up real quick before challenging him too. She'd taken a few hits in the two battles with the Bird Keepers, so I wanted to make sure she was in tip top shape for this big battle. I stepped up to Falkner and told him I was ready to challenge him.

LyraChallenge.png
vs
VSFalkner.png

It was a tough endurance battle for sure. His Pidgey wasn't hard to beat at all, but his Pidgeotto gave me a run for my money. At one point, I actually thought I was going to lose. There was a lot of stalling on his end since he kept telling his Pidgeotto to use Roost, but Flame and I toughed it out and managed to stay strong long enough to pull off a win. For our perseverance, we got our first badge, the Zephyr Badge, and TM 51, Roost. I'm going to head over to the Pokemon Center to rest up before I make my way towards my next badge at Azalea Town.

Current Team
Spr_4h_156.png
Flame the Quilava
Spr_4h_069.png
Atlantic the Bellsprout

Nice start. You know you can trade Bellsprout for an Onix in Violet City right?

I didn't know that! I think I'm gonna stick with keeping Bellsprout for now though; I ran into some wild Onix in Union Cave, but I wasn't really feeling using it for this playthrough, haha.

Cool. I guess you are one of those people who play ahead when doing something like this.

Yeah, I am playing ahead. Last time I did something like this, I posted updates as I reached checkpoints that were set ahead of time, and I ended up losing interest in it. This way, I can play ahead and get everything down and then type it all out later. I'm planning on getting chapter 2 posted tomorrow, and chapter 3 will probably be up some time next week.

Yeah, I am playing ahead. Last time I did something like this, I posted updates as I reached checkpoints that were set ahead of time, and I ended up losing interest in it. This way, I can play ahead and get everything down and then type it all out later. I'm planning on getting chapter 2 posted tomorrow, and chapter 3 will probably be up some time next week.
Cool. Do you have an idea who will be on your final team?

Cool. Do you have an idea who will be on your final team?

Not yet. I've been playing with the idea of using a separate team for the Kanto portion of the game, but I'm not sure if I want to do that or not. I'm trying to use Pokemon I haven't really used too much before. I will say I've been doing a little bit of switching around lately, but that probably won't be evident till chapter 3 goes up.

qvB8kxq.png

As soon as I walked outside of the gym to make my way to the Pokemon Center, my PokeGear started going off. It was Professor Elm, so I picked up. He wanted me to meet with his assistant to pick up the egg I'd brought to him and travel with it. I agreed and told him I'd go do that before I left Violet City. I went to the Pokemon Center to rest up for a little while, and then I popped into the Poke Mart. Professor Elm's assistant was in there waiting for me; it was an odd place to pass off the egg to me, but whatever. I got the egg. After I walked outside, a strange lady in a kimono walked by and told me to take good care of the egg for her. I was confused, but I told her I would. I don't know why I wouldn't, but whatever.

I head south to Route 32, where I'm stopped by a man who gives me a Miracle Seed. I'm not quite sure what I'm going to do with this, but I thanked him anyways. I guess I could give it to Atlantic to hold, but I haven't really been in a situation where I feel like that'd be necessary. I'm just holding onto it for now. If Atlantic ever needs it, I'll give it to him. Shortly after receiving the Miracle Seed, I was challenged by Youngster Albert.

Spr_HGSS_Lyra.png
vs
Spr_HGSS_Youngster.png

I was able to beat him, of course. I'd just beaten my first gym leader, these trainers along the routes would be a breeze. I made a quick stop in the Pokemon Center at the end of Route 32 and then went into the Union Cave. Inside, I was challenged to a battle by Hiker Daniel.

Spr_HGSS_Lyra.png
vs
Spr_DP_Hiker.png

I was able to beat him too. The good thing about this cave was I was able to use it as an opportunity for Atlantic to get some battle experience. He wasn't able to do too much before I beat the first gym, but now that we've moved on from there, there's plenty of opportunity for him to grow. I also battled Hiker Russel and beat him as well. As I approached the exit, I had one more challenger in Poke Maniac Larry.

Spr_HGSS_Lyra.png
vs
Spr_HGSS_Pok%C3%A9_Maniac.png

For a Poke Maniac, he wasn't too good at battling and I was able to beat him. Then again, I guess he's a Poke Maniac, not a battle maniac. I exited the Union Cave and as I rounded the corner towards Azalea Town, I saw a Team Rocket Grunt push another man. I went to step in, but the man just walked back into town. I approached the Rocket Grunt anyways, and he didn't seem to find anything wrong with his actions and instead started talking about Slowpoketails. I shook my head. Whatever.

I walked into Azalea Town and took a moment to heal my Pokemon at the Pokemon Center. I visited Kurt at his house to see if he could turn my Apricorns into balls; that was something I heard he could do, and I was excited for him to do it. Unfortunately, he was preoccupied with Team Rocket being at the Slowpoke Well, so he was headed there to scare them off. I decided to go help, and it was a good thing I did. He got hurt going into the well, so I had to fight in his place. The first grunt I challenged was the one that Kurt yelled at before he tumbled into the well.

Spr_HGSS_Lyra.png
vs
Spr_HGSS_Rocket_Grunt_M.png

The grunt title was very fitting for him because he wasn't much of a challenge at all. I battled a female grunt after him and won. There was another male grunt that I beat, and then I finally got to their leader, a man named Executive Proton.

Spr_HGSS_Lyra.png
vs
Spr_HGSS_Proton.png

Since he was an Executive, I was expecting him to be a little bit of a challenge. Truth be told, he wasn't. I didn't have much trouble with him at all. Team Rocket left after I beat their leader, and Kurt congratulated me for my hard work. He took me back to his house and gifted me a Fast Ball. I smiled and thanked him. This was one of the Apricorn Balls that he could make! I was so excited to finally have one in my hands! I gave him two of my Green Apricorns and asked if he could turn those into Apricorn Balls too, and he said he could, but it would take a day to do so. I told him that was fine. His granddaughter gave me his number so he could call when the balls were done.

I took a trip to the Pokemon Center and healed up before I went to the Azalea City Gym. The first trainer inside that I battled was Bug Catcher Al.

Spr_HGSS_Lyra.png
vs
Spr_HGSS_Bug_Catcher.png

The specialty type of this gym was Bug types, so it was no surprise that Flame was able to breeze through this fight. Bug Catcher Benny wasn't really a challenge either. There were Twins Amy and Mimi presented me with a double battle, so I had to use Atlantic as well, but all was still well. Flame was able to do work fairly quickly, so it all worked out just fine. I was finally able to approach Bugsy and challenge him to a gym battle.

LyraChallenge.png
vs
VSBugsy.png

Battling Bugsy was a breeze compared to Falkner. Flame was, of course, the MVP of the battle. She crushed it. I really don't have too much to say here. A Fire type going into a battle against some Bug types and of course the Fire type is gonna come out victorious. Bugsy gave me the Hive Badge and TM 89, U-Turn for my efforts. I thanked him for his time and headed out to go rest up before continuing my journey.

Current Team
Spr_4h_156.png
Flame the Quilava
Spr_4h_069.png
Atlantic the Bellsprout

I’m not sure if you know, but TMs are not infinite use in this game. That is not until next generation.

Now to the update: yeah Bugsy is not hard if you pick cyndaquil. You also get some rock types in the cave.

I’m not sure if you know, but TMs are not infinite use in this game. That is not until next generation.

Now to the update: yeah Bugsy is not hard if you pick cyndaquil. You also get some rock types in the cave.

Yeah, I know TMs aren't infinite in this game. A little bit of a bummer it took them 5 gens to make them reusable, but hey, better late than never. Not sure if I'll ever actually use any of the TMs in this game though since they're not unlimited use. I think I do have to use Flash at some point though, and that's unfortunate since I only have one; I'm pretty sure I can buy more at the Goldenrod Department Store though. Can't remember what they had in stock.

And yeah, I didn't expect Bugsy to be hard with a Cyndaquil starter, haha. Probably one of the only fights in this game that I actually wasn't concerned about because of Quilava being on my team.

oQWskUX.png

As I was making my way out of Azalea Town to continue my adventure, I was stopped by Silver. He challenged me to a battle, claiming he'd gotten stronger since our last meeting back in Cherrygrove City.

LyraChallenge.png
vs
VSSilver.png

He hasn't really gotten that much stronger though because I was able to beat him. I took a moment to go back and heal at the Pokemon Center, and then I went on to the Ilex Forest.

Inside, I was stopped by a man in the forest who lost his Farfetch'd. He asked me to help find it, and I agreed. I was able to catch one, though it took me a minute to do so. I guess catching them from behind was easier. Makes sense; if they don't see it coming, they can't run. Turns out there was a second one though, so I had to go and catch that one too. Thankfully, it was easier to catch the second one than the first. I learned my lessons from the first one and didn't make the same mistakes twice. The boss showed up after I caught the second one and gave me HM 01, Cut, for helping them out. I taught the move to Atlantic, figuring he'd make the best use of it.

I ran into the kimono girl from Violet City again, and she apparently got lost in the forest. To be honest, I didn't quite know where I was going either, but Atlantic seemed to know where he was going and pointed her in the right direction. I wonder if he'd been here before. Did he live here before I found him on Route 31? I guess I'd never know; it's not like I can understand what he says to me. I took Atlantic's advice to heart though and went the same way the kimono lady did and ended up on Route 34, where I was challenged by Youngster Samuel.

Spr_HGSS_Lyra.png
vs
Spr_HGSS_Youngster.png

I won that battle, and I also beat Pokefan Brandon and Youngster Ian a little further down the road; Youngster Ian also gave me his number after our battle. I ran into Ethan as well, who introduced me to his grandparents that run the Daycare on Route 34. Ethan gave me his number, and his grandparents also gave me their numbers. They told me I could stop by whenever if I ever wanted to leave my Pokemon in their care.

A little further on down the route, I was stopped by a policeman. I was a little scared at first, thinking he thought I'd done something wrong, but it turned out he just wanted to battle. I was able to beat him, and he thanked me for my time as I continued on to Goldenrod City.

I healed first, and then I went to the Goldenrod Department Store. I knew Bellsprout would need a Leaf Stone eventually to evolve from Weepinbell into Victreebel, so I figured I'd go ahead and buy one while I was here. I tried the daily drawing first, and I won the #3 prize, which was a Persim Berry. Not quite what I was looking for, but I'll take whatever I can get from a free drawing. I searched the stores in the building, but none of them carried Leaf Stones. I was a little bummed out since that was what I came here for, but I suppose it's not a big deal right now. Atlantic's still a Bellsprout, so maybe I'll find one later on down the road when I actually need one.

I went to the Bicycle Shop next. The owner asked if I could ride one of his bikes around as an advertisement. Business was down, and he wanted some help picking it up. I agreed, and I got a Bicycle. I wasn't going to say no to free transportation.

I stopped in the Game Corner and picked up a Coin Case from Mr. Game. He encourages me to try his coin game, Voltorb Flip, so I give it a try... a few tries, actually. Turns out I'm not very good at Voltorb Flip. I didn't get any winnings from it. Mr. Game seemed pretty excited about it, but hey, whatever makes him happy, I suppose. The prizes didn't really seem terribly worth it anyways, so I guess there's no real loss here.

I went to the Flower Shop next. The girl there told me about a dancing Pokemon on Route 36, but she refuses to give me a watering can until I beat Whitney, the city's gym leader. That's a little dumb, in my opinion, but I told the girl I'd be back when I beat the gym. I decided to head into the gym, but apparently Whitney wasn't in because she had to get a Radio Card.

As I was headed to the Radio Tower, the mystery egg I picked up in Violet City hatched! I was now the proud owner of Omelette, a female Togepi! Professor Elm called and said he wanted to see the new Pokemon, so I told him I'd come by. I figured this would be a good time to ride the bike around anyways; riding it around Goldenrod was one thing, but heading back home on it would surely draw in some customers. And it'd be a good opportunity to get Omelette some experience and also let Atlantic and Flame grow a little too. On my way back, I stopped at Kurt's in Azalea Town to pick up my Friend Balls; I never got a call saying he was done, but I figured since I was passing by, I'd stop in to check on them. Good thing I checked. Youngster Ian gave me a call to tell me about a Drowzee he tried to catch, but it got away. And then I found myself being challenged by Firebreather Ray in the Union Cave.

Spr_HGSS_Lyra.png
vs
Spr_HGSS_Firebreather.png

It was a little bit of a struggle, but I was able to win. I also battled Youngster Gordon on Route 32 and got another victory in the books. Bug Catcher Wade challenged me on Route 31, and I won, then got his number after the battle. The bike shop also gave me a call, and sales had gone up from me riding around. The owner told me I could keep the bike for my hard work. I thanked him and told him it wasn't a problem. I definitely wasn't going to say no to a free bike; these things were expensive. I just wish it had different speeds.

I caught my fourth Pokemon on Route 29, a female Pidgey that I nicknamed Ava. When I got back to New Bark Town, Professor Elm gave me an Everstone, and then I was back on my way to Goldenrod City. Bug Catcher Wade called and said he picked up some berries and was willing to give me some; when I caught up to him on Route 31, he gave me some Lum Berries. I battled Youngster Joey on Route 30, and I also got his number. When I got to Violet City, I decided to deposit Ava in the PC Storage System; I decided not to use her after all. I did catch a male Mareep on Route 32, and I nicknamed him Beep. Youngster Joey called on my way back to tell me about his top percentage Rattata; I rolled my eyes when he told me this, but I let him talk anyways. I battled Hiker Anthony on Route 33 and won, getting his number after the battle.

When I finally got back to Goldenrod City, I went to the Pokemon Center, and then straight to the Radio Tower. There was a Rocket Grunt outside who told me to scram, but I ignored him and went inside the tower anyways. I spoke with Whitney, who told me there was a quiz involved in getting the Radio Card, but it was hard. I decided to give the quiz a chance, and turns out she was right; I failed it three times before I finally passed it and got my Radio Card. I feel like Whitney was a little jealous that I got one, but she congratulated me regardless.

I went back to Route 34 to train a little bit before challenging Whitney; I'd gotten a couple new Pokemon since my last gym challenge, and I felt like it was a good idea to get to know them a little bit before I tried to battle alongside them in an important battle. Youngster Joey called quite a few times to tell me about his Rattata or Pokemon he tried to catch but failed at doing so; I was starting to regret giving him my number. I also battled Camper Todd and Picnicker Gina and got their numbers as well. I decided to catch a female Drowzee that I nicknamed Melody, adding to the Pokemon I'd need to train before I challenged Whitney. Beep evolved into a Flaaffy during our training, and after a couple hours, I felt ready.

I stopped at the Pokemon Center to heal up, and then I went to the gym. I battled Beauty Victoria first.

Spr_HGSS_Lyra.png
vs
Spr_HGSS_Beauty.png

I got some prissy vibes from her, and all the other trainers in the gym for that matter. I kinda wanted to get out of here as quickly as possible, but I battled Beauty Samantha, Lass Carrie, and Lass Cathy before I went back to the Pokemon Center to heal up real quick and then challenge Whitney.

LyraChallenge.png
vs
VSWhitney.png

I actually lost my first battle against her. It was a little embarrassing, but I went back to the Pokemon Center to heal and then try again. I got closer on the second attempt, but it wasn't quite enough. I felt frustrated as I returned to the Pokemon Center and changed up my strategy before I challenged her a third time. Thanks to Flame coming out on top as the MVP again, I was able to finally beat her on the third attempt!

Current Team
Spr_4h_156.png
Flame the Quilava
Spr_4h_069.png
Atlantic the Bellsprout
Spr_4h_175.png
Omelette the Togepi
Spr_4h_180.png
Beep the Flaaffy
Spr_4h_096.png
Melody the Drowzee

Boxed Pokemon
Ava the Pidgey

I had a feeling Whitney would be tough...Thanks to that Miltank.

Yeah, the Miltank was a little bit of struggle, haha. Her Clefairy wasn't difficult at all, it was just the Miltank. It stalled me out quite a bit too with Milk Drink, which was a little annoying.

Yeah I figured.
You got options for Morty.
Drowzee will work since they only use the Gastly Line.

Yeah, haha. I caught her because I don't think I've ever really used one before, but I think even if I hadn't, I'd still be fine. Gonna find out soon though.

Well the gastly line are part poison. Also why hasn’t bellsprout evolved yet?

He has evolved at the time of me posting this. I think it's just because I haven't been using him a whole lot. I try to balance out EXP across all my Pokemon, which is a little more difficult in these games since I'm not spoiled with the gen 6/7 EXP Share.

S9JdtIW.png

After defeating Whitney, she refused to give me the badge and instead decided to cry a lot and call me a meanie. I sighed and started to walk away. I knew I'd beaten her and was entitled to that badge, so I guess I'd just let her cry it out and come back later for the badge, maybe after I'd healed my Pokemon. As I was making my way out though, one of the trainers in the gym, Lass Cathy stopped me and told me she did this all the time. I sighed and walked back to her, and Whitney stopped crying long enough to give me the Plain Badge and TM 45, Attract. She suggested I try the Pokethlon Dome, and I told her I'd keep her suggestion in mind.

As I left the gym to go heal up, Youngster Joey gave me another call to tell me about how he failed to catch a Rattata. Really? Did he really need to call me over everything? I rolled my eyes as I walked into the Flower Shop to get the Squirt Bottle I'd rightfully earned. I had a feeling I'd need it as I went on beyond Goldenrod City. I healed up and went on to Route 35, where I locked eyes with my first challenger since beating Whitney.

Spr_HGSS_Lyra.png
vs
Spr_DP_Picnicker.png

Picknicker Kim, and all of the other trainers on this route, were a breeze after Whitney. I don't know what it was about her, but something about beating her was tough. I'm proud of myself for doing so though, and now I can take some time to relax before my next big battle in Ecruteak. After beating Camper Ivan on Route 35, Atlantic finally evolved into a Weepinbell. Youngster Joey called again to tell me about a Hoothoot he beat; I'm really starting to regret giving this guy my number...

I got some new numbers, hopefully people who would call at conveniently the same time as Joey since he clearly can't stop calling me to tell me about every little thing in his life, but perhaps the most notable part of my travels between Goldenrod City and Ecruteak City was running into Floria from the flower shop. She was right by the dancing tree, and she suggested I spray it. I did, and it was a Sudowoodo! I caught her and nicknamed her Magnolia. For entertaining Floria, I got some Berry Pots and Oran and Pecha Berries. I thanked her and continued on my way.

I arrived in Ecruteak City and stopped in the Pokemon Center to heal my Pokemon, and inside, I met Bill, the mastermind behind the PC Storage System! It was pretty cool meeting him, but we didn't get to talk too much since he had to get somewhere else. Nevertheless, his system is pretty useful. Speaking of it, I deposited Atlantic into it; I have Sudowoodo now, and since I have no idea when I'll get a Leaf Stone to unlock Atlantic's full potential, I figure Magnolia will be a better fit for my team overall.

I head to the gym, but I learn that the leader has gone to the Burned Tower. I shrug; after all the trouble I had with Whitney, I could probably stand to do a little more training before challenging the leaders instead of rushing in like I have been... kinda. Anyways, I decide to visit the dance theater first, where I see a Rocket Grunt harassing a Kimono Girl. I challenge him and win, of course, and one of the old men in the audience gives me HM 03, Surf, for my hard work.

I go to the Burned Tower next, where I run into Morty and Eusine, a man who really wants to see Suicune. Morty's just there to understand the legend of Entei, Suicune, and Raikou. I'm a little confused as to why Eusine wants to see Suicune specifically, but hey, to each their own. I go downstairs to see the legendary Pokemon, but they scatter before I can get too close. Suicune comes the closest to me, but it still runs away.

With Morty headed back to the Ecruteak gym, I go and meet him there, but not before I'm challenged by several of the Medium trainers inside.

Spr_HGSS_Lyra.png
vs
Spr_HGSS_Medium.png

The trainers were admittedly a little bit of a struggle for me. I had to back out to heal after battling two of them, and I decided to pick up some Super Potions from the Poke Mart while I was out so that I wouldn't have to keep running back and forth from the gym to the Pokemon Center. And then I finally reached the Ecruteak City Gym Leader, Morty.

LyraChallenge.png
vs
VSMorty.png

I lost my first battle against Morty. Sleep isn't a fun thing in battles. I decided to pick up some Awakenings from the Poke Mart before giving it a second attempt. Unfortunately, that didn't even help me, and I was starting to question if maybe I was underprepared for this gym too... Still, I tried again, but it was during my third battle that I realized something I probably should've realized a lot earlier. Omelette was my ticket to victory. Morty's Gengar gave me the most trouble during this whole run, but Omelette was immune to everything it had as a Normal type. I smacked myself on the face as I came to this realization. How could I have been so dumb? I took a deep breath, did a little training regardless before my fourth and hopefully final challenge, and I went back in to face him one more time.

Sure enough, Omelette was the ticket to victory. She held out quite well against his Gengar, and I was able to finally pull off the victory I worked so hard for. Morty handed over the Fog Badge and TM 30, Shadow Ball. I need to go rest up now, but I've learned a lot in that last challenge: I need to prepare a lot more before I challenge my next gym in Cianwood City, or I would keep running into the same problem I was running into now with constantly losing and being underprepared.

Current Team
Spr_4h_156.png
Flame the Quilava
Spr_4h_185_f.png
Magnolia the Sudowoodo
Spr_4h_175.png
Omelette the Togepi
Spr_4h_180.png
Beep the Flaaffy
Spr_4h_096.png
Melody the Drowzee

Boxed Pokemon
Ava the Pidgey, Atlantic the Weepinbell

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom