• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Felly Plays Pokemon HeartGold

So you're one of those people who don't use Legendary/Mythical Pokemon?

Yeah, I don't really like using them unless I have to. I've never really felt compelled to use a legendary/mythical Pokemon over any of the other Pokemon in my games yet. Maybe gen 8 will change that, but so far, over the past 7 gens, that hasn't happened yet. xD

Yeah, I don't really like using them unless I have to. I've never really felt compelled to use a legendary/mythical Pokemon over any of the other Pokemon in my games yet. Maybe gen 8 will change that, but so far, over the past 7 gens, that hasn't happened yet. xD
I see.

Now onto Kanto. You will need to grind ALOT in order to beat Red. If I recall, his lowest level is like 82.

Been a while since I've had a chance to update this since I've been busy, but I'm playing again, and I'm hoping to be done by the end of the year!

bkmsr6X.png

I returned home after claiming the Johto championship for myself. I had a long journey around the region, and I deserved some rest. When I went downstairs one day, Mom told me that Professor Elm had something for me, so I went to his lab to pay him a visit.

There, he gave me the SS Ticket. With this, I was able to board the SS Anne to get into Kanto. Little did he know, I was already kind of able to do that through the Indigo Plateau, but maybe they were going to continue blocking the path. Besides, this was a free ticket. I certainly wasn't going to say no to it.

I flew to Olivine City, and on my way to the docks to ride the boat into Kanto, I ran into Professor Oak again. He upgraded my Pokedex to have the National mode, which basically meant that I would be able to register any Pokemon discovered in the world to my Pokedex. A neat little feature, to be honest.

Spr_HGSS_Lyra.png
vs
Spr_DP_Sailor.png

After talking to him, I boarded the SS Anne and set off for Kanto. On the boat, a gentleman bumps into me and tells me he's looking for his granddaughter on the boat. I agree to help him out, and in the process, I battle a few trainers on the boat too. They weren't too much of a challenge, especially considering I'd just beat the Elite Four and Champion. I also had one of the Sailors on the boat have me go and find his buddy, who went and took a long nap and never came back; I found him, and after defeating him in battle, he went back to his duties on the boat. When I found the gentleman from earlier's granddaughter, she wanted someone to play with her, so I agreed. She ran off to hide, and after a bit of searching the ship, I found her in the Captain's quarters, and her grandpa arrived shortly after, thanking me with a Metal Coat.

I didn't quite realize how much time passed between leaving Olivine, but shortly after I reunited the granddaughter with her grandpa, we arrived in Vermillion City. I was in Kanto! I disembarked from the ship and went to the Pokemon Center to heal up real quick, and then I explored the city. Turns out Vermillion City wasn't terribly exciting. There was a Pokemon Fan Club there, but I wasn't quite in the mood to listen to the president talk about his Pokemon, so I left.

Spr_HGSS_Lyra.png
vs
Spr_DP_Guitarist.png

The gym was probably the most exciting place here, so I went there. I had to teach Flame Cut in order to get inside, but once inside, I battled each of the trainers inside. I was able to defeat them, and then I went to heal up before tackling the puzzle here. It was an incredibly difficult puzzle, and it was ridiculously annoying too. As soon as I found one switch, I'd check another trash can, fail to find the second switch, and then the gates would reset. It was truly annoying. Not even the puzzles in Johto were this annoying, and I hoped that all of the gym puzzles in Kanto weren't this difficult.

LyraChallenge.png
vs
VSLt_Surge.png

After finally figuring out the puzzle, I was finally able to challenge the gym's leader, Lt. Surge. He was certainly a challenge, and it took me four tries to beat him. I knew I'd have to do some training to battle the gyms here in Kanto. I had to buy items from the Poke Mart to actually beat him; thankfully I had money left over from my Johto journey, so I was able to start my Kanto adventure with a good amount of money. For my victory, I received the Thunder Badge and TM 34, Shock Wave.

My journey in Kanto was only just beginning.

Current Team
Spr_4h_157.png
Flame the Typhlosion
Spr_4h_185_f.png
Magnolia the Sudowoodo
Spr_4h_176.png
Omelette the Togetic
Spr_4h_181.png
Beep the Ampharos
Spr_4h_097_f.png
Melody the Hypno
Spr_4h_087.png
Snowflake the Dewgong

Boxed Pokemon
Ava the Pidgey, Atlantic the Weepinbell, Starlight the Staryu, Phoenix the Ho-Oh

KN6kfPh.png

After successfully defeating Lt. Surge and earning the Thunder Badge, I made my way to the Pokemon Center to heal my Pokemon, and then I went north to Route 6. It was there that I battled a couple trainers, and I also learned that the Pokemon in the wild were significantly weaker than the ones I had with me. The trainers were on par with me, but the wild ones were not. That was a little disappointing because I was hoping to catch a new friend along the way, but I had my doubts that it would happen. I guess time would tell though.

I arrived in Saffron and decided to visit the train station; it would be a quick way back into Johto for sure since it connected with the train station in Goldenrod. Unfortunately, there was a situation at the Power Plant, and the train wasn't running. I left and decided to make my way to the Fighting Dojo, a smaller gym next door to the actual gym, but inside, I learned that the leader was in Johto. I frowned. This was a little disappointing. I went to the gym, hoping that I could get some excitement there.

Spr_HGSS_Lyra.png
vs
Spr_DP_Psychic_M.png

The puzzle in this gym was a series of warps to get to the leader, but thankfully, it wasn't terribly difficult. Nothing compared to the challenge I had at the last gym I was at. I had to battle a few trainers before I got to the leader, Sabrina.

LyraChallenge.png
vs
VSSabrina.png

The first time I battled her, I lost. Unfortunate, but also unsurprising. Lt. Surge gave me a bit of a challenge too, so it was unsurprising that Sabrina would too. I went back for a second challenge though, and I was able to defeat her on the second try. I got the Marsh Badge and TM 48, Skill Swap, for my efforts.

I had a feeling that my time in Kanto was going to be relatively unexciting, but I suppose only time would tell.

Current Team
Spr_4h_157.png
Flame the Typhlosion
Spr_4h_185_f.png
Magnolia the Sudowoodo
Spr_4h_176.png
Omelette the Togetic
Spr_4h_181.png
Beep the Ampharos
Spr_4h_097_f.png
Melody the Hypno
Spr_4h_087.png
Snowflake the Dewgong

Boxed Pokemon
Ava the Pidgey, Atlantic the Weepinbell, Starlight the Staryu, Phoenix the Ho-Oh

I was wondering, ever thought of picking up a shiny stone for Omelette?
Here's two locations:
Behind the fence, on a cliff in the northeast (requires Rock Climb) (National Park)
Sometimes given out by Bird Keeper Josh if the player has his phone number (Kanto Route 14)

I was wondering, ever thought of picking up a shiny stone for Omelette?
Here's two locations:
Behind the fence, on a cliff in the northeast (requires Rock Climb) (National Park)
Sometimes given out by Bird Keeper Josh if the player has his phone number (Kanto Route 14)

Oh wow, I didn't realize Togetic could evolve in these games! I knew it got the evo into Togekiss in gen 4, but I didn't realize it also applied to these games. I'll actually have to go pick up a Shiny Stone, haha; I'm almost at the end of the game now, but I think evolving into Togekiss will still help me out a lot.

qGF1M7m.png

After defeating Sabrina and earning my second Kanto badge, I went straight to the Pokemon Center to heal my Pokemon. There, I decided on my next course of action. I looked at my map, which now showed the entirety of the Kanto region (and the Johto region), and I had a few options as to where I could go next. To the west was Celadon City, to the east was Lavender Town, to the south was Vermillion City, and to the north was Cerulean City. I'd already defeated the gym in Vermillion, so going there again would be pointless; I had no reason to, at least not now. From what I could tell from the information my map gave me, Lavender Town had no gym, so to my knowledge, there was nothing too notable there for me to really go there now. That left me with Celadon and Cerulean.

I heard Cerulean City was pretty close to the Power Plant, so I figured I'd go there. At the very least, I could get power back to the train that traveled between Kanto and Johto. Getting the badge at the gym would be an added bonus. Plus, it'd give me more time to train up before my next gym challenge. Lt. Surge in Vermillion and Sabrina here in Saffron gave me trouble during my challenges, so the more time I could spend between now and my next gym challenge, the better.

The trip to Cerulean was short, and upon arrival, I took a peek in the gym. The leader wasn't there, which was fine with me, but I was able to get an idea of how to prepare for the challenge. The swimming pool inside made me believe that this was a Water type gym, so I had a feeling that Beep would be a key player in my upcoming battles at this gym.

Spr_HGSS_Lyra.png
vs
Spr_HGSS_School_Kid.png

With no leader at the gym, I traveled north. School Kid Dudley was the first of a series of challenges that culminated in a battle with Ace Trainer Kevin, who, upon defeating him, gave me a Nugget for successfully beating all the trainers, including him. On the other side of the series of battles was Bill's Cottage; I heard Bill was the one behind the Pokemon Storage System that I had a few of my Pokemon in, so I decided to pay him a visit. Unfortunately, he wasn't home. His grandpa was there though, and he was interested in seeing an Oddish, which I didn't currently have.

I returned to Cerulean City to heal, and then I made my way towards Rock Tunnel. I taught Melody Flash unnecessarily, as I didn't need to go through Rock Tunnel to get to the Power Plant, but the little detour gave my weaker Pokemon some opportunity to grow stronger, so I couldn't complain too much. I used the conveniently located Pokemon Center on Route 10 to heal up and made my way to the Power Plant.

There, I learned a part was stolen. The police asked for my assistance in getting the part, which was located somewhere in Cerulean City near the gym. I agreed to help and flew back to the city. I healed real quick at the Pokemon Center, and then I made my way into the gym. I figured looking inside was a good start, and sure enough, it was. I ran into a Rocket Grunt, who left and headed north. I figured he had the answer to where this missing part was, so I followed him.

Spr_HGSS_Lyra.png
vs
Spr_HGSS_Rocket_Grunt_M.png

I was able to beat the Rocket Grunt, to no surprise, because Team Rocket was never terribly tough in Johto. I didn't think they would be in Kanto either. After beating him, he told me the location of the part, which was inside the Cerulean gym, as I'd figured. I went back to the gym, retrieved the part, and took it back to the Power Plant.

I returned to the gym again, figuring that the leader would be there by now, but she wasn't. I sighed. I guess I'd have to go find her... or him. I honestly had no idea who he or she was; I could've told you who each of the leaders were in Johto before I even saw them because I grew up there. Kanto was an entirely different story. I decided to head north; maybe the leader was up there, and sure enough, I was right. I found her near Bill's Cottage with a boy that I guess was her boyfriend or something, I dunno. Apparently I interrupted their alone time though, as she called me a pest before returning to her gym. I rolled my eyes. I just wanted to challenge the gym, and that was a little difficult to do when she wasn't there.

LyraChallenge.png
vs
VSMisty.png

I had to battle a couple of the trainers in the gym, but I finally reached Misty, the leader. Ampharos, though he couldn't do everything since there was a Quagsire that was immune to a couple of his attacks, was the star of the show, as I'd predicted. And I was able to beat the gym on my first try! I guess all my training paid off after all! For winning, I got the Cascade Badge and TM 03, Water Pulse.

Three down, five to go.

Current Team
Spr_4h_157.png
Flame the Typhlosion
Spr_4h_185_f.png
Magnolia the Sudowoodo
Spr_4h_176.png
Omelette the Togetic
Spr_4h_181.png
Beep the Ampharos
Spr_4h_097_f.png
Melody the Hypno
Spr_4h_087.png
Snowflake the Dewgong

Boxed Pokemon

K0loyXz.png

I went and healed after beating Misty. I made my way back to the Rock Tunnel, but after a quick glance at my map, I realized that the Rock Tunnel was an unnecessary detour. I called out Omelette, and together, we flew back to Saffron City. From there, I walked the rest of the way to Celadon City, which wasn't too far to the west.

LyraChallenge.png
vs
VSErika.png

I wasted no time in heading straight for the gym. I felt pretty confident that my friends and I could handle this gym without any additional training. There was no sense in wasting any time when I felt this confident. I had to battle a few of the trainers before I got to the leader, Erika, but once I did, I was able to beat her with ease. Flame did some nice work in this gym, which wasn't too much of a surprise. Whoda thunk a Fire type Pokemon would do so well in a Grass type gym? I earned the Rainbow Badge and TM 19, Giga Drain, for my efforts.

Current Team
Spr_4h_157.png
Flame the Typhlosion
Spr_4h_185_f.png
Magnolia the Sudowoodo
Spr_4h_176.png
Omelette the Togetic
Spr_4h_181.png
Beep the Ampharos
Spr_4h_097_f.png
Melody the Hypno
Spr_4h_087.png
Snowflake the Dewgong

Boxed Pokemon

DFd5TQR.png

After beating Erika, I left the gym and took some time to heal my Pokemon. Though Flame was the star of the show, I didn't want to continue forward with my Pokemon having taken some damage in their previous battle. And besides, you could never rest too much. Better to be over rested than not rested at all. After leaving the gym, I made my way west.

Spr_HGSS_Lyra.png
vs
Spr_HGSS_Biker.png

To the west of Celadon was Cycling Road, and it was a good thing I picked up a bike back in Goldenrod or I'd have had to found an alternate route to my next destination, Fuschia City. I got on my bike and rode down the path, battling a few trainers along the way and winning, of course. It didn't take long to get to Fuschia, and when I arrived, I went to the Pokemon Center, and then to the gym.

LyraChallenge.png
vs
VSJanine.png

I didn't think this gym was going to be terribly difficult, at least not until I walked into an invisible wall. I groaned. This was going to be annoying. And everyone looked like the gym leader, Janine, which made things extra annoying. I had to battle every trainer in the gym to find the real Janine, and by the time I did, I decided to just head back to the Pokemon Center to heal up before actually challenging her. It wouldn't have been worth it to challenge her in my current state; I probably would've lost and would've wound back up at the Pokemon Center anyways. Better to go in prepared the first time; at least if I lost, I would've known I went in as prepared as I could've been.

I learned Janine was the daughter of Elite Four member Koga, who I'd previously challenged after getting all 8 Johto badges; he was a big challenge for me, so knowing that, I walked into this battle fully expecting Janine to be just as difficult as her father. Turns out I overestimated her since I was able to beat her on my first try. I guess she still had some learning to do, but that would come in time. She handed over the Soul Badge and TM 84, Poison Jab, for my victory, and with another badge down, I was ready to head onward to my next destination.

Current Team
Spr_4h_157.png
Flame the Typhlosion
Spr_4h_185_f.png
Magnolia the Sudowoodo
Spr_4h_176.png
Omelette the Togetic
Spr_4h_181.png
Beep the Ampharos
Spr_4h_097_f.png
Melody the Hypno
Spr_4h_087.png
Snowflake the Dewgong

Boxed Pokemon

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom