• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Female player anime variant

That might have worked, but I'm not sure how they could have pulled it off. A Kanto Festival wouldn't have made as much sense, especially after the cast traveled to Kanto for a couple of episodes. Plus, the promotion for the past couple of remakes have been a bit more lowkey compared to how HG/SS were treated in DP.

I mean, in the same link, they say references to remakes of generations. At the end of the Advance series, the gang went to Kanto to represent FRLG, the Johto Festival with Lyra/Kotone in the Diamond & Pearl series represents HGSS, Sawyer's Mega Sceptile in the XY series represents ORAS, and in the Sun & Moon series, the hairstyle of Sandy, Lana's Eevee, represents the hairstyles in LPGE.
You know, I don't think I can recall Calem or Serena being assistants or supporters to Professor Sycamore in the X and Y games? So perhaps assisting like Gen 3 and 4 has nothing to do with why the Female Trainer accompanies Ash, but rather the first games for the newest consoles.

GBA (May)
DS (Dawn)
3DS (Serena)

and so for SwSh being the first proper Gen for the Switch

Switch (Gloria)

We really don't know the players' names for SwSh, same with Chase and Elaine.

I mean, in the same link, they say references to remakes of generations. At the end of the Advance series, the gang went to Kanto to represent FRLG, the Johto Festival with Lyra/Kotone in the Diamond & Pearl series represents HGSS, Sawyer's Mega Sceptile in the XY series represents ORAS, and in the Sun & Moon series, the hairstyle of Sandy, Lana's Eevee, represents the hairstyles in LPGE.

We really don't know the players' names for SwSh, same with Chase and Elaine.
Chase and Elaine were already revealed when LGPE came out. Victor and Gloria were used during E3 Nintendo Treehouse showcase.

I'm aware of how the remakes were referenced/promoted in various anime series. I was trying to say that both XY and SM didn't promote OR/AS and Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee respectively compared to how AG and DP promoted FR/LG and HG/SS. Going to Kanto, having a Johto festival and having the female leads catch starter Pokemon to match with the remakes is more than what XY and SM did. Lana catching Sandy would be closer to the female leads getting a starter Pokemon, but I'm not sure if it's really good promotion when I've already forgotten that Sandy exists a couple of times, which is almost kind of impressive in a way consider the backlash when Lana first captured it. I haven't even seen how Ash catch Meltan yet and I still find myself forgetting about that detail too.

Somehow I could see Ash with Gloria and Milo for Sword and Shield's anime, since Allister is too shy and Bea as not the type to go with Ash.

Also, Milo's personality I somehow see him being almost as similar to 1987 Michaelangelo from TMNT

I’d love for her name to something Scots Gaelic at least in the dub. Eilidh (Ay-Lee) would be amazing as one of my girls shares that name. Heather or Bonny are also names I could see.

I’d love for her name to something Scots Gaelic at least in the dub. Eilidh (Ay-Lee) would be amazing as one of my girls shares that name. Heather or Bonny are also names I could see.
Bonnie was already taken by Clemont's sister in XY.

Gloria was her name revealed at E3, along with Victor

Chase and Elaine were already revealed when LGPE came out. Victor and Gloria were used during E3 Nintendo Treehouse showcase.

Even though the players were Victor and Gloria in the E3 gameplay, it does not mean it is their actual names. Also, where is revealed about the LPGE players' names.

here
Player character - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia

also, if you look into the description, there is discussions about the SwSh players.

Still, the box has the SwSh players unknown. But said that they are obviously official names. Where do I go in the link for LGPE names. Sorry about this tangent. Back on track.

What will your think Victor or Gloria's (or whatever they are actual named) mother do as a living and they might play as an opposing rival NPC when one is chosen

What will your think Victor or Gloria's (or whatever they are actual named) mother do as a living and they might play as an opposing rival NPC when one is chosen

Wondering if this is another case of "We have moved into this region from another region" shtick though, although I doubt it will be since SM/USUM used the same premise. Perhaps the mother used to be a soccer player or an athlete?

You know, I don't think I can recall Calem or Serena being assistants or supporters to Professor Sycamore in the X and Y games? So perhaps assisting like Gen 3 and 4 has nothing to do with why the Female Trainer accompanies Ash, but rather the first games for the newest consoles.

GBA (May)
DS (Dawn)
3DS (Serena)

and so for SwSh being the first proper Gen for the Switch

Switch (Gloria)

I think it more has too do with the impact the Female Protag has on the games. May and Serena were full fledged rivals, Dawn had more impact than Rosa and Selene combined. If the female protag doesn't have any impact, their is also no reason for the anime too promote her, since we already have Ash too promote the game features.

Again, female PCs are assuming their game's protagonist roles, not the rival ones.
Also, I said the female player usually joins Ash if the games the series is based on are the First Generation Pokemon Games for the New console, such as Gameboy Advance with May for Ruby and Sapphire, DS with Dawn for Diamond and Pearl, and 3DS with Serena for X and Y.

So with the First Generation Pokemon Game for the Switch being Sword and Shield, there's likely a chance for the female player Gloria to be Ash's companion.

The reasons for Iris in Black and White (DS), Lillie, Mallow and Lana who are Classmates in Sun and Moon (3DS) is because they are Second Generation Pokemon Games for each respectful console.

Also, I said the female player usually joins Ash if the games the series is based on are the First Generation Pokemon Games for the New console, such as Gameboy Advance with May for Ruby and Sapphire, DS with Dawn for Diamond and Pearl, and 3DS with Serena for X and Y.

So with the First Generation Pokemon Game for the Switch being Sword and Shield, there's likely a chance for the female player Gloria to be Ash's companion.

The reasons for Iris in Black and White (DS), Lillie, Mallow and Lana who are Classmates in Sun and Moon (3DS) is because they are Second Generation Pokemon Games for each respectful console.

Makes sense and seems to line up with the leaks the other rival(s) are named.

Makes sense and seems to line up with the leaks the other rival(s) are named.
Perhaps that's the player's names, Bede and Marnie. If Male then the Female Player, and if Female then the Male Player, But then, how does that play with Team Yell, unless Game Freak is trying something new, and if Marnie becomes Ash's companion, then who would end up being Team Yell's leader?

Pokémon Red and Green with Game Boy = No female player
Pokémon Gold and Silver with Game Boy Color = No female player

Yeah, no. It's just a coincidence.

Perhaps that's the player's names, Bede and Marnie. If Male then the Female Player, and if Female then the Male Player, But then, how does that play with Team Yell, unless Game Freak is trying something new, and if Marnie becomes Ash's companion, then who would end up being Team Yell's leader?

From what I read Bede and Marnie are both “other”rivals with Hopp your main rival. Sorry if I didn’t make that clear.

At this point in the series Pokémon was thought by the devs to be for boys only. It wasn’t until they saw girls were just as interested they made females playable in Crystal.

Green is also a girl in the Manga.

From what I read Bede and Marnie are both “other”rivals with Hopp your main rival. Sorry if I didn’t make that clear.

At this point in the series Pokémon was thought by the devs to be for boys only. It wasn’t until they saw girls were just as interested they made females playable in Crystal.

Green is also a girl in the Manga.

The West: Blue (Boy/Gary), Green (Girl)
Japan: Green (Boy/Gary), Blue (Girl)

Yeah, I don't understand that as well...

Gen 1 and 2, we have to remember ate for the Game Boy range. Game Boy Advance is more of an advanced and completely new system compared with the past Game Boy/Color systems. Which explains of why the Original Series ended and another begins. So, the Female Trainer thing had been around since GBA, and that the Original Series was where the series all began.

Series 1: The Original Series (Gen 1, 2): Ash, Misty and Brock (Tracey)
Series 2: Advance (Gen 3): Ash, May, Max and Brock
Series 3: Diamond and Pearl (Gen 4): Ash, Dawn and Brock
Series 4: Black and White (Gen 5): Ash, Iris and Cilan
Series 5: X and Y (Gen 6): Ash, Serena, Clemont and Bonnie
Series 6: Sun and Moon (Gen 7): Ash, Lillie, Kiawe, Mallow, Sophocles and Lana

The animators don’t give a damn what system the games are on. The games are the ones where the opposite gender character is an NPC, which obviously matters more for the game's story, marketability, and thus matter for the anime more.

The anime would remain the same even if SwSh were releasing on the GBA, so this type of pattern doesn’t make sense at all, unless some influential anime staff happens to have a serious case of OCD.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom