• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Festive Feud Online Competition

Lanstar

The Cutest of Ladies
Reaction score
Pokémon Global Link News-ポケモングローバルリンク インフォメーション

This is an online competition I might sign up for...

The Regulations are Triple Battles, and with an interesting twist: You may only use Pokemon that are classified in the Pokedex as Red, Green, or White. Fortunately, they have a PDF listing who is eligible to use:

http://assets24.pokemon.com/assets/cms2/img/video-games/pgl/festive_feud_en.pdf

Intriguingly, I see only one Intimidate user - Scrafty - in the entire bunch. Beware of the Weather and Trick Room Shenanigans... Who else is thinking of participating?

Don't forget that Krookodile is the other Intimidate user! I do wonder if Krookodile is good in doubles beyond Intimidate and Earthquake, never playing competitive Triples.

Thanks for reading.

Gardevoir and Volcarona are able to be used. I think I shall enter this. The problem aside from me mever playing Triples before is figuring out the rest of my team... Eh, I'll figure that out later.

I completely overlooked Krookodile! Thanks for the correction.

Triples are what I've been best at for quite a while, so I do have some words of wisdom to help you all:

- Triples is a format where switching out is a really risky thing to do. That's due to how interdependent teams can be to attacking opponents and protecting one another. Using U-turn and Volt Switch to switch out is your best bet in this regard.
- Prankster Pokemon are really strong here. Meowstic and Whimsicott will play a huge part in this Metagame.
- Since Switching out is difficult, and that you use every pokemon you show in the selection preview, Triples make way for many specifically laid out
strategies at the start. Being able to make a counterstrategy-type team, common in doubles and singles, can be quite difficult here, but it is possible.
- Weather-based strategies are both the strongest and weakest ones you can use. If the weather goes your way, the chances of winning are really high. If not, you've got major problems, usually.
- Priority is extremely important to consider, and controlling and predicting the order of moves is crucial to winning. Trick Room and Tailwind are super common moves you'll see in triples.
- For locking and defense, moves like Fake Out. Protect, Reflect, Light Screen, Quick Guard, Wide Guard, Encore, and Taunt are super important. That's because the way attacks here work, and the large number of type advantages exposed, multiple 1-Hit knock outs can be very easily be done in a single turn of play if no defensive maneuvers are done.
- Talonflame is super annoying: aside from Gale Wings and Quick Guard, it also knows Snatch - a move that can actually steal away your barriers you try to use on your turn. Snatch can also take away Wide Guard and Quick Guard as well, so tread carefully against users of it.

After concidering the options, I noticed something really interesting: Very few good Pokemon in this selection know Wide Guard, and it's a very important move - given the notorious Hyper Voice, Water Spout, and Eruption users here. At first, I was going to use Crustle for this role - It has the sturdy ability, and as a sneaky trick where I would give it a Custap Berry for neat surprise at the end! Then looking at other options, I saw some people thinking of this crazy-awesome choice.
Spr_6x_486.png
That's right... Prepare to watch out for the super bulky support Regigigas in this competition!

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom