• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

FIFA World Cup Russia 2018

Blast

☆彡
Reaction score
The biggest sporting event of mankind is starting today, the FIFA World Cup, which is held in Russia this year. After the amazing 2014 World Cup, everyone hopes for another great tournament in celebration of The Beautiful Game.

Even though my country, The Netherlands, is not competing this year I'm looking forward to the tournament very much. I am rooting for Japan, where I currently reside, although I will be surprised if they don't end up bottom of their groups with no points, since their opponents are very strong. It would be nice if the African countries, especially Morroco and Egypt, can do well too.

As far as contenders go for the championship, I think Brazil are an extremely strong team along with great results over the past year, they are the most likely to win. France also has many talented players with many options as far as substitutes go, but I wonder if they will have the mental fortitude and coordination as a team to go all the way. Of course, Germany and Argentina, the 2014 finalists, cannot be counted out.

Outsiders for me are Spain, who fired their coach just yesterday making it difficult for me to have confidence in them, and Uruguay, who have an experienced selection with a powerful front line. Belgium, Portugal and Colombia don't have the necessary factors to become champions, I feel like.

What country are you supporting? What are your predictions? Throughout the tournament we can talk about the results as well. Let's enjoy this wonderful football festival together!

I'll be supporting England in the World Cup, they probably won't make it out the group stage and they're not that good but I'll always back them :)

I think Germany will win the tournament.
England has good offense, they might be able to take second place in their group. If they can surprise Belgium they'll have a good chance I think.

England has good offense, they might be able to take second place in their group. If they can surprise Belgium they'll have a good chance I think.
Yeah, if they do ok in the games against Tunisia and Panama they might be able to get through, think Belgium will probably be too strong for them though but surprises do happen.

Currently 1-0 to Russia against Saudi Arabia, think Russia will go on to win this either 2 or 3 nil.

I predicted 2-1 to Russia for the opening match, but it became a historical match. 5-0 is the biggest win in an opening game since the introduction of them in 1966! Though I didn't think Russia played that well, honestly. Today's matches are very exciting, I'm looking forward to Egypt - Uruguay and Portugal - Spain. Morocco should be able to beat Iran.

I will be cheering for Australia (my home country) and Korea Republic (hope to teach English there in a few years time). I am currently watching Sweden and Korea Republic on SBS (it's on SBS because of #floptus - the streaming problems with Optus for those of you playing at home). Note that SBS (the broadcaster here in Australia in addition to Optus Sport) had added a few games over the next couple of days because of #floptus (SBS adds more FIFA World Cup matches in wake of #floptus).

DISCLAIMER: Yours Truly does not have Optus.

I will be cheering for Australia (my home country) and Korea Republic (hope to teach English there in a few years time). I am currently watching Sweden and Korea Republic on SBS (it's on SBS because of #floptus - the streaming problems with Optus for those of you playing at home). Note that SBS (the broadcaster here in Australia in addition to Optus Sport) had added a few games over the next couple of days because of #floptus (SBS adds more FIFA World Cup matches in wake of #floptus).

DISCLAIMER: Yours Truly does not have Optus.
That's tough, both lost very nearly... I was very impressed with Australia's play, they were able to contain France for most of the match, even though they lost to a dubious penalty kick and a unfortunate goal. If they can keep this level of play up, they might have a chance of reaching the second round. The coach of the Australian team in a Dutchman, which makes it easier for me to like them even more ^^

Thanks. I will be watching the upcoming Denmark v Australia game tomorrow night here, and hopefully we can get away with a draw.

And Optus has given SBS more matches because of the streaming problems they (Optus) has been having as I mentioned in my previous post in this thread. All remaining group matches will be simulcasted on SBS as well now. Comedians will get first dibs at compensation through free jokes at Optus' expense. First the English Premier League a few years ago and now this! (SBS to broadcast all World Cup matches for another 10 days).

had not seen this topic
USA didn't make it, I'm supporting the 3 Scandinavian teams (Sweden, Denmark, and Iceland)
almost halfway through the group stages by now
Opening game results was shocking for me
so far been surprised by so any matches, which I didn't expect as the results, mainly from Germany (thought they where going to have easy victories in every game)

had not seen this topic
USA didn't make it, I'm supporting the 3 Scandinavian teams (Sweden, Denmark, and Iceland)
almost halfway through the group stages by now
Opening game results was shocking for me
so far been surprised by so any matches, which I didn't expect as the results, mainly from Germany (thought they where going to have easy victories in every game)
Denmark and Sweden still have a good shot of making the knockout stage, good for you! I agree there have been many surprising games so far, Croatia beating Argentina, Japan beating Colombia, Mexico beating Germany... It's very exciting. Hopefully Japan will continue their winning streak tonight against Senegal.

I'm actually pulling for Senegal because they could be the only African representative in the Round of 16 since I think that Argentina will have no problem with Nigeria.
I'm not so sure about that. The pressure on Argentina is immense now that they are on the brink of elimination. Nigeria can still get away with a draw while Argentina has to win even stand a chance of progressing. It'll certainly be a spectacular match.

Since I'm rooting for the African and Asian teams, I hope that both Japan and Senegal will advance. In that case a draw would be the best result. Colombia is still a strong opponent so I think if Senegal loses against Japan it will become very difficult for them. The same goes for Japan, who I still think are weak team. Whichever team loses will likely not make to the next round and the winning team is almost guarenteed to make it through. I'm looking forward to a hot blooded battle :3

Can't wait for the upcoming surprises

still keeping good hopes that the 3 Scandinavian team make it, not looking so good for them
also cheering for my parent's home country (Mexico)

wow, 6-0 for England, looks like they are going to make it
(last world cup they finished rock bottom of their group)
*trying not to giggle* I wonder if they will loose on penalties again

YES! This was exactly the outcome I was hoping for! The knockout stage is within touching distance for both Japan and Senegal now. Japan showed some real heart today coming back twice, it was a very fun match.

for once shocked that Germany didn't make it, finished bottom
can't wait to see the surprises in the round 16!
(hopefully a new winner this time)

Both Ronaldo and Messi exit on the same day, at least all the GOAT (greatest of all time) debates can cease for a little while.

thats true
watched both

getting tougher to decide who will win
can't wait for the new surprises now

I thought I would be distraught at the idea of Spain being knocked out in the Round of 16 at the beginning of the tournament... but I'm not (that much anyway). It became apparent during the poor performance against Morocco that Spain weren't going to win the world cup (unless there was a dramatic increase in performance) due to the ageing side, the sacking of Lopetegui the day before the world cup and De Gea's awful performance throughout the tournament. This loss means that Spain can finally concentrate on the promising youth rather than players who have gone past their prime, we can't rely on the great players from 2008-2012 no more, Spain must move on. We can become a great in football once again as we will not rely on the past as much as we did the last 4 years.
Also, Russia was a worthy opponent to lose to, I always enjoy an underdog story, and with a little luck the impossible can happen, imagine the headlines if the lowest ranked side before the tournament ending up the victors in front of a home crowd.

Last edited:
It's been a pretty interesting tournament so far with a lot of the top teams going out early, think the favourites now would have to be between Brazil, Uruguay and France but with them all on the same side of tourney as each other the other side of the tourney is opened up for one of the less favoured teams to make it to the final.

My predictions for the remaining round of 16 games are:
Belgium 4 - 1 Japan
Sweden 2 - 1 Switzerland
Columbia 3 - 0 England

I hope I'm wrong about England but I'm not confident about them at all, I think we're going to lose badly tomorrow.

Belgium did win, not by that prediction
so many surprises already, can't wait for more
I think that England and Colombia will end in a tie (maybe 1-1) do think Colombia will win in penalties (as English always loose in them)
maybe Sweden might win with late goal in extra time

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom