• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Fire Emblem Fates

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm just happy the Live2D models won't go to waste, that's all I really wanted from that whole feature. Oh and no Japanese *voices are included. With all of that finally aside, 13 more days left!

Last edited:
I didn't really care about the petting I was mostly concerned about the models go to waste. It would be extremely disrespectful to the programmers who spent an arm and a leg animating each character if it was removed completely. Glad we can still see them.

Only five more days left until the English release! I'm very excited! I have preordered Birthright though I will probably end up getting Conquest and Revelation at some point. Can't wait!

I didn't pre-order anything, so I just picked Conquest.

I didn't preorder, but I somehow managed to snag the very last copy of Birthright at the store.
It's been a fun time so far. Playing it on Hard Mode has given me just the right amount of challenge without becoming frustrating. Also, the characters have feet. 10/10.

So I does anyone know what happens when you max out the hearts from the bond events in the private quarters?

I received my special edition today and started with Birthright. Mechanically this game is amazing, it takes everything from Awakening and makes it better. The graphics have taken a little step up from Awakening and those seamless transitions to battles are amazing. My only complaints so far are that a lot of the characters don't really stand out, and the music isn't as great as Awakening's was. But overall, this game was definitely worth the wait.

Since no one has really done it, a review type of thing of the game. (Just know I'm playing the birthright path right now.

The story so far is good and keeps you on your toes, albeit a bit confusing. It also rips your heart out more than once unless you are one of those people who just doesn't care about the video game characters. They do a good job making you feel for both sides, and thus making it harder to fight, especially if you have the special edition where you actually have a choice in the side.

They have fixed a lot of problems and the pair up thing now has strategy to it. The enemies are tougher and I don't feel OPed, though that might just be me since I know someone else said the Avatar quickly becomes OP. I just might be balancing my characters too well or something. And no unit seems too strong. I didn't even know the butler/maid class was a promoted class until my butler hit level 20.

The characters are great so far. Some lack being interesting, but so far I don't hate or dislike anyone. Others are just hilarious. Some supports feel like their lacking and even seem as though they're cutting off early. Others are great, and character interactions are good too.

The maps are amazing. Especially later in the game. And the dragon veins are a great feature too. My castle is nice as well and never seems too tedious save for the temple. And no weapon limit is great because the weapon choice tends to be challenging enough unless you have some royal weapon.

Battle animation is awesome and looks so much more realistic. And some animations just look awesome, such as Jakob's healing one. And the children thing while unnecessary is nicely done since it's not forced on you like in awakening. You can completely ignore their existence, which really couldn't be done in awakening because Lucina was forced onto you.

Like Setra said the music isn't that great. It hasn't stuck out to me save for Azura's song.

I feel like they don't explain everything they should. There was something that came up in support conversations and not in the main story, and hasn't yet even though I'm pretty far. This lead to confusion until it was explained in the support conversations, so that's a little disappointing. Azura can't go past weapon level C, at least not in her songtress class. She can still become useful in battle despite this, but it does prevent her from using some nice weapons.

And the thing that really irks me is the faces. I've always been annoyed when they looked emotionless speaking, but if they're sobbing and it has noise then it's even worse if it's their neutral face on.

In seriousness so far it's a great game.

Oh and because I did read this thread: Interesting note- there have been gay undertones for some characters in earlier games, as well as incest. So that's nothing new in this game.

And to end this post:

tumblr_ns7iefLWNZ1th3uvao1_500.png

I love Birthright so far! The only thing I was upset about was a certain character's death, but I won't spoil anything there.

I've recruited Ike to my team too since I have his Amiibo and a New 3DS XL (the Hyrule gold one, which I got just in time for Fates!). I couldn't ever go without Ike in my party if he can be added to it, I freaking love him! He's just as good as he is in his own games too. That is to say, a beast. :3

Copying my review from my blog:

Breaking it down right quick. There will be spoilers, they will be spoilered.

Special Edition Box / Perks

The box art is nice. The large box shows off both families and Azura (if I keep calling her Aqua, my bad. It's going to happen.) and the artbook that comes with it is really nice. The DS sleeve is cool too, but not something I find myself using.

However the real winner are the keychains I got from preordering from Gamestop. While Xander is fine and Ryoma looks as absurd as ever, the real winner is Azura. Her keychain gives this section a rating of adorable /10.

index.php

Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright

This is supposed to be the first campaign you do. Baby's first Fire Emblem as it were. This is the 'easy' mode, giving you much easier objectives, the chance to grind for levels and supports between chapters and it makes sure you're never starved for gold or items.

In this route, you chose your 'birth' siblings over the ones you were raised with. You chose Hoshido, the 'good' guys, following your brother and the samurai way. I don't blame you, given the fact that your Nohr dad is cartoonishly evil. However you also broke Camilla and Elise's hearts, how do you live with yourself???

Jokes aside, there's positives and negatives to this route.

Positives: While this story is far more cliched than Conquest, it's also somewhat better. I will go into Conquest's story more and why it bugs me, but in this route Corrin (the avatar aka the 'main' [well along with Azura] character] is far less of an idiot. Which is nice. Also the art designs of Hoshido are gorgeous, prettier than gross ugly Nohr. I mean if you're going to choose, you might as well pick the nice house.

Negatives: The gameplay is... boring. I can see why it's good to have an easier difficulty setting. Many FE fans were annoyed by Awakening's difficulty (Normal was a joke, Hard was... easy and Lunatic relied on cheap NPC strats and OP abilities, making it an RNG slog rather than an actually tactical experience), and splitting the runs into three makes it easier to make an 'easy' game and a 'hard' game. The downside to the easy game is that for someone that has played and beaten multiple fire emblems, this one is far too easy. However, the changes to the pair up system are nice, fixing something that was broken in Awakening. Oh and the thing that bugs me most of all... the pairings. I get that the royals are some of the most appealing S support options here (I mean I did end up marrying Hinoka, my 'older' sister), but the way they write the incest thing out (you find a note from your 'mother' who somehow knew the future and knew about your love for one of her children which reveals you aren't actually one of their siblings, which kind of completely ruins the whole plot of the game, meaning you ditched your Nohr adopted siblings for nothing except a redheaded piece of ass. You dick.

Overall, Hoshido is my second favorite route. I give it a Hinoka out of ten. (which translates into a 9/10)

Fire Emblem Fates: Conquest

Sometimes, it's good to go bad. And this is one of those circumstances.

In this route, you chose the siblings you were raised with over your 'birth' siblings. You chose loyalty to the only people who have shown you any sort of affection... which I can understand. However you also broke Hinoka and Sakura's hearts, how do you live with yourself?!?

Positives: As the hard route, the story of Nohr does a brilliant job of explaining why this is the 'hard' route. Turns out your cartoonishly evil dad and his even more cartoonishly evil advisor are... evil. I know, so shocking. It is revealed that the two of them are setting you up to fail, using your pain and misery to fuel a sacrifice to an ancient evil. As the hard route, Nohr is tactically challenging. If you're new to the series... start with birthright. Trust me. Nohr will kick your ass if you aren't careful. But this makes it definitely the more exciting route. Every turn is critical. Oh and Camilla. Camilla is a positive.
index.php

(my avatar and Camilla. We got married. Yes I'm wearing an awesome eyepatch.)

Negative: The real negative with the Nohr storyline and Conquest is that Corrin simply refuses to put down the Idiot Ball. I mentioned earlier that his adopted dad is cartoonisly evil. I wasn't kidding. Before Corrin even thinks about trying to rebel, his dad has ordered him to massacre innocent civilians or unarmed prisoners... four? five? six? (I lost count) times. Each time Corrin says something like 'Dad would never' or 'I have to ask him why he ordered this' and by the third or fourth time it just gets frustrating.

What makes it worse is that it's clear that your older adopted siblings (Xander, Leo and Camilla) know exactly what's going on. They know your dad is a dick and they know that he's got it out for you. Along the way they send you help and give you some advice... but man big brother or big sister really should have sat me down and explained what was going on. Would have saved everyone so much trouble. Not to mention it would have saved thousands of innocent lives. Oh and when Azura finally tells Corrin that his dad is evil... Corrin comes up with THE WORST PLAN IN THE HISTORY OF PLANS. I mean yeah it ends up working because of course it does, but again, could have saved thousands of innocent lives.

I give Conquest a Camilla out of 10 (9.5/10)

Fire Emblem Fates: Revelations

The third route, which is only available to the people who bought the special edition. It will be released as DLC for everyone else in mid-March.

I haven't had a chance to play it yet (I'm only about 2/3 through Conquest and 1/2 through Birthright), so I don't have anything here. I'm going to marry Azura this time around, but that's all I really know.

Overall thoughts:

I hinted at this in my previous sections, but I think they've done a really good job with this two (well three) game experiment. It has something for everyone. I love the changes they've made to combat in this game. With the revised and balanced pairup system, the addition of hidden weapons, adding tomes to the weapons triangle(s), and changing weapon balance from durability to buffs and debuffs, Fates has some of the best combat in the series.

Flaws aside, the plot is engaging and enjoyable. Not to mention that so many of the units are standouts. the avatar actually has a personality this time around, Kana (the avatar's child) is the most adorable thing ever (they realized that a little kid who calls their Mother and Father mama and papa in a french accent is cute), Arthur is Captain America personified (seriously, he is... and it works against all odds). All of the royal siblings are so likable which makes the choice to choose one side over the other so heartwrenching (I mean I knew I was going to play both routes, but some of the dialogue that comes up during the routes when you have to fight your siblings is simply horrible) and picking the third option will likely be so worth it when I get around to it.

Overall, I give it a 9.25/10.

Only update from this is that I'm into Revelations now, which is getting an Azura / 10 rating.

I have put Lucina in (I have her amiibo) but I haven't really used her because I'm too busy trying to get them supports.

I just got my Conquest yesterday XD. But I've been read spoilers from Japanese's gameplay since forever..

Will stuck with this game for a while. I will also try Birthright and Revelation.

Now who to pair to who? :]

For Conquest (my first and most complete run) I did:

Avatar x Camilla (I mean come on, this was obvious)
Silas x Elise (this sorta happened by accident but it was really nice)
Arthur x Effie (I did the retainers together for the most part, this one was cute too)
Severa (I mean Selena) x Leo (This one also happened by accident, but it was nice)
Laslow x Peri (I don't buy for a second that someone with Laslow's voice has trouble with the ladies, but this support was actually strangely endearing. I love Peri)
Charlotte x Benny (This one felt right from the beginning. I was not disappointed)
Xander x Azura (This one I threw together at the last minute. And... it was actually really good)

I haven't paired the rest of my characters yet since I dont use them. (or in the case of poor Kaze ran out of options in my main squad)

I play as girl and plan to pair Avatar with Kaze but.. still dont know..

*because I want to have Ninja kid*

(But I want AzuraxKaze cause have Ninja name Shigure is very cool, and then I can mary him XD.)

The only think that I fixed is to pair Niles with main male Avatar on my other save files. XD.

Last edited:
Can we share castle addresses here? If so, mine is

05469-14417
67207-38701

Let me know if you visit mine, I'll return the favor and try to give you a reasonably good accessory. (You don't lose accessories given to others fyi)

On the gameplay side of things, I'm really enjoying the challenge of Conquest. I've had to reset a fair amount of times so far (hi chapter 10) and enemies seem to consistently land hits even if their actual hit rating is less then 50%. I was also kind of worried that children characters would come into the game too late for them to get a chance at leveling up, but the offspring seals have alleviated that fear. On that note, I just got Midori, who is adorable. "Well the fact is..."

I've beaten birthright and started Conquest and so far Conquest seems easier to me honestly. I've only had to restart I think two chapters, and I beat them second try/third try. And with the second one it was because I was being a moron and doing unnecessary things instead of concentrating on the simple objective.

Also interesting thing to note-If the avatar dies on casual mode-you can still continue playing the chapter without them.

@Yang Xiao Long; Its different if you marry Ryoma.

Ryoma tells you himself that you two aren't related. Ironically in the Female Avatar support conversation with Hinoka she talks about how your mother isn't hers. The true disturbance is the fact that you fall in love with your sibling while thinking that you're blood related.

I think, at lease for me, the most annoying thing about Conquest is you dont have enough battle to raise all Supports...

And maybe because it's really long time ago since I play FE *I dont have awakening cause I was poor that time*, but I keep restart at least 2 times since chapter Mother...

I think, at lease for me, the most annoying thing about Conquest is you dont have enough battle to raise all Supports...

And maybe because it's really long time ago since I play FE *I dont have awakening cause I was poor that time*, but I keep restart at least 2 times since chapter Mother...

You can grind supports by using street pass castle battles. You don't get XP or weapon levels from it, but you do get supports.

Is it possible to use internet connection or the street pass is only for local connections?

Cause I lived on a country that not even registered as region by Nintendo.. I'm a lone ranger here T.T

But I will check the street pass battle when Im finally home. thx for the info..

We really need a Europe and Australia release date. NA already have their games and others are waiting for the excitement. Would there be a reason as towhy there hasn't been one yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom