• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Fire/Fighting Pokemon. Should there be more?

Yesss. The whole Fire/Fighting thing makes me laugh so hard. I want to see more for shits and giggles, particularly starter Pokemon.

Though I'll admit... it rather ticks me that people don't want Fennekin to be Fire/Fighting because how they got 3 in a row. Well, guess what? Just because we got 3 Fire/Fighting types in a row doesn't mean we are going to get yet another one. Consider thinking about other possible types other than Fire/Fighting and stop moaning whether it will be or not~

Although if it were, I would be laughing, but it is unlikely that it will evolve into a Fire/Fighting. Does it have a beefy body? Nope. XP

Last edited:
To be honest, I was taken aback when I found out Emboar was part Fighting. I was sort of hoping it would be Fire/Ground, because I think that that type combo has so much potential, but Camerupt's stats leave much to be desired. Although I think Fire/Fighting is a fantastic combination, it does not need to be repeated, on a starter or otherwise.

I would really like if they made more Pokemon with uncommon type combos like Fire/Ground, Grass/Steel, Water/Ghost, Grass/Electric, Dragon/Steel etc. I would flip out with joy if they used combos that haven't even been tried yet, like Grass/Dragon (a double ice weakness doesn't make it automatically bad), Normal/Ghost (I've fantasized about a zombie-looking 'mon with this typing), Ghost/Steel, Fighting/Flying, and even Fire/Grass (some of the fakemons I've seen for this combo are really cool).

I can agree that I don't mind the typing by itself (I've always hated Fire's vulnerability to Rock, and being part Fighting helps counter that), I just don't like it getting used for starters three generations in a row.

Of the three, my favorite starter is Infernape. Blaziken's design is kinda "meh" to me, and so is Emboar's. Fire types were born to hit hard and fast, and Infernape does.

Yes, but not on starters this gen. Fennekin is quadruped so he's not very likely a part Fighting-type which is less suitable for him (I think Fennekin's evos might be Psychic-type due to his origin of being a Kitsune). I would like to see a non-starter Fire/Fighting-type Pokémon instead.

I'm kind of tired of fighting types in general. Had fire/fighter in gen V and in BW2 they had all those other fighting types such as cobalion,virizion, ect ect, so I would not be that disappointed if they backed off a bit. and I hate that emboar is fire/fighting, I was also hoping it would be fire/ground (whoever said that earlier)

Yes, but not on starters this gen. Fennekin is quadruped so he's not very likely a part Fighting-type which is less suitable for him (I think Fennekin's evos might be Psychic-type due to his origin of being a Kitsune). I would like to see a non-starter Fire/Fighting-type Pokémon instead.
The Musketeers are part Fighting-type. Game Freak could troll with us and make Fennekin part Fighting-type if the wanted to, but I'd rather not see it.

As long as they're not starters.
Actually, I don't see what's wrong with most of the Fire starters being part-Fighting.

Well, for one, they are the only Fire+Fighting Pokemon at all.

In fact, if you take a look at the list, Fire is mostly a pure type. Fire+Fighting comprises roughly half of all dual-typed Fire Pokemon.

I think we have enough with the starters. Even if non-starters come:

Competitively, no one will care to use them since there is Speed Boost Blaziken and Infernape.
In-game, most people, bored of Fire/Fighting starters, will choose Fennekin and will be reluctant to have 2 Fire types in the team.

They can just make other Fire-types, there is no reason to get more of them.

Hate to say it, but Fennekin does not look like it can evolve into a Fire/Psychic, or at least in my eyes. If it were evolve into a Fire/Psychic (Or a Kitsune), then it will probably be some Ninetales or Zoroark rehash. I seriously want Fennekin to stay as a Fennec Fox, or perhaps some mythical fox that is not the Kitsune.

I guess people see it evolving it into a Fire/Psychic because of that move it used in the first trailer. (Is it the one used on the Kirlia?) Just because the colour of the move is similar to Psychic moves doesn't mean it could evolve into a Fire/Psychic.

Fennekin's final evolution really needs to be pure Fire, and that is only due to the fact that the only pure Fire starter we had is Typhlosion. But I already discussed Fennekin's type on a blog, so what I said should've been quoted.

I feel like one of the few fans who either won't care or crack out laughing if Fennekin will ever evolve into a Fire/Fighting.

I have nothing against Fire/Fighting types. I'm just more than a little sick of seeing them as a starter. I was fine with Blaziken and Infernape but Emboar was simply one too many. I'd really like to see Fennekin get a different secondary type, if GF decides that it needs one at all. But I'm with the majority on this: no more Fire/Fighting starters!

No more fire/fighting, please. PLEASE.
Aren't starter pokemon supposed to be special too? Having 3 final evo starter pokemon that are fire/fighting is just no. Blaziken and Infernape LOOK like fire/fighting, but Emboar just...no. It looks like fire. Just a fire type. That fighting part is unnecessary. They're all cool looking, and Blaziken's my favorite out of them.

I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out to be part Fighting, but I'm still quite convinced by its design that it's going to be part Psychic. Anyways, even if it turns out to be Fire/Fighting, I'd still pick Fennekin as long as its final evolution design is well executed. Anyways, not sure if it's just me but I usually capture Pokemon purely based on design anyways.

Although I'm not fond of the repetitiveness, I really wouldn't mind if we got Fire/Fighting as long as Fennekin's final evolution is fantastic.

A thousand times no. We had three fire/fighitng starters in a row. I guess it's enough fighting paired with fire starters. Let's give the chance for other types or let it as pure fire type. Covering psychic and flying for three generations in a row were a little repetitive, though each of the fire/fighing starters had a different style of battle.

Last edited:
There shouldn't be anymore Fire/Fighting starters, but just regular wild Fire/Fighting types. On a side note, Fighting/Fire is most likely going to be the typing of Fennekin's evolutionary line.

There shouldn't be anymore Fire/Fighting starters, but just regular wild Fire/Fighting types. On a side note, Fighting/Fire is most likely going to be the typing of Fennekin's evolutionary line.

I hope Fire/Fighting will also be used for legendaries, but not starters. Fire/Fighting starters are way too much.

I'm fine with it, just hopefully away from starters in the future.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom