• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Contest Fire Flying Battle: Charizard vs. Moltres vs. Ho-Oh

How is Charizard overrated? the amount of hate he get's says otherwise... If you want overrated look at Mewtwo he's the picture of overrated...

I prefer Charizard... I can't stand Moltres really and Lugia is far cooler then Ho-oh... though he'd win in a up and up fight being Uber and all

Mewtwo's not overrated because he can back it up. He has massive stats and a movepool that's the envy of many pokemon. His typing and abilities aren't terrific in ubers, but they don't hinder him all that much either. In short, Mewtwo is awesome whether we like it or not.

Charizard, on the other hand, gets a lot of love simply because he looks 'cool.' He's treated as something that can stand with the likes of salamence and latias, especially by the younger fans, when he's clearly inferior to most fire types and mediocre when compared to the starters. That is the definition of overrated.

Mewtwo's not overrated because he can back it up. He has massive stats and a movepool that's the envy of many pokemon. His typing and abilities aren't terrific in ubers, but they don't hinder him all that much either. In short, Mewtwo is awesome whether we like it or not.

Charizard, on the other hand, gets a lot of love simply because he looks 'cool.' He's treated as something that can stand with the likes of salamence and latias, especially by the younger fans, when he's clearly inferior to most fire types and mediocre when compared to the starters. That is the definition of overrated.

I agree that Mewtwo definitely isn't overrated, however I disagree that Charizard is simply because the hate outweighs the hype a lot of the time. As you said, it's mostly younger fans who hype him and that's understandable because most younger fans don't understand the game mechanics to the level competitive battlers do.

Charizard, because you can teach it Thunderpunch via the Move Tutor in HG/SS which would work well if Charizard had the right nature and its Attack stat has been well invested in. Even if Charizard is 4x weak to Stealth Rock, it will always be a fan favourite of mine.

Ho-Oh, because I always preferred it to Lugia. And, in Pokémon Colosseum,
it shoots down Evice's getaway chopper. That makes it a BAMF.
Plus, Moltres reminds me faintly of chicken, and then I get hungry.

I hate Charizard. Moltres is alright. Much love for Ho-Oh!! Easily my favorite Fire-type Pokemon. I'm surprised I'm in the majority; I would have thought Charizard was more popular.

Re: Fire Flying Battle

It's no competition for me Ho-Oh would undoubtably win against the other two choices here.

Reasons:

-Ho-Oh naturally has more bulk on both ends of the defensive scale.
-Ho-Oh has a much wider and versatile move pool able to learn moves like Thunder, Thunderbolt etc.
-Ho-Oh has much more "Fire Power" (offensive stats) than the other two.

I like all of them personally, but Ho-Oh realistically would have the upper hand in my opinion.

I voted for Moltres because I like it's design more than the other two, but Ho-oh is way stronger than Moltres or Charizard.

[COLOR="#00000"]Well, I checked some stats and I came to this conclusion.

1) Moltres has no ground, electric or water attacks that can be used against fire-flying pokemon. So that makes Moltres the weakest.

2) Ho-Oh can learn "Ancient Power" which has an attack damage of 60 and can raise its stats sognificantly. This can 1 hit KO Moltres and do severe damage to Charizard.

3) Charizard can learn "Rock Slide" which has 75 attack damage and can also 1 hit KO Motres and do sever damage to Ho-Oh.

That leaves us with Charizard vs Ho-Oh. :thumbup:

Now, if we consider that Charizard has a speed of 299 and Ho-Oh a speed of 279 that gives Charizard a small chance to use "Rock Slide" twice before Ho-Oh uses twice "Ancient Power".

But their if we look at their offense we will see that Charizard has 267 Attack and 317 Sp. Attack and Ho-Oh has 359 Attack and 319 Sp. Attack. We can see that Ho-Oh has by far superior offense.

Also, if we look at their defenses we will see that Charizard has 255 Defense and 269 Sp. Defense and Ho-Oh has 279 Defense and 407 Sp. Defense. We can see that Ho-Oh has also far superior defenses.

To conclude I have to say 2 things:

1- Ho-Oh can probably deafeat a 1v1 match vs Charizard or Moltres.
2- I would still choose Charizard in my 6 member pokemon team because it can learn a great variety of moves including all the "Dragon Moves" that are extremely useful and neither Moltres nor Ho-Oh can learn.
[/COLOR] :secret:

I hope that concludes everything.

Last edited:
Ho-Oh for me. Moltres doesn't particularly interest me, and I prefer mighty legendaries in general over starters, i.e. Charizard.

Re: Fire Flying Battle

Ho-oh for me. Moltres sucks, and Charizard is overrated.

Charizard is overated, but moltres doesn't suck hahaha ;_:

1) Moltres has no ground, electric or water attacks that can be used against fire-flying pokemon. So that makes Moltres the weakest.

2) Ho-Oh can learn "Ancient Power" which has an attack damage of 60 and can raise its stats sognificantly. This can 1 hit KO Moltres and do severe damage to Charizard.

3) Charizard can learn "Rock Slide" which has 75 attack damage and can also 1 hit KO Motres and do sever damage to Ho-Oh.

That leaves us with Charizard vs Ho-Oh. :thumbup:

Now, if we consider that Charizard has a speed of 299 and Ho-Oh a speed of 279 that gives Charizard a small chance to use "Rock Slide" twice before Ho-Oh uses twice "Ancient Power".

But their if we look at their offense we will see that Charizard has 267 Attack and 317 Sp. Attack and Ho-Oh has 359 Attack and 319 Sp. Attack. We can see that Ho-Oh has by far superior offense.

Also, if we look at their defenses we will see that Charizard has 255 Defense and 269 Sp. Defense and Ho-Oh has 279 Defense and 407 Sp. Defense. We can see that Ho-Oh has also far superior defenses.

To conclude I have to say 2 things:

1- Ho-Oh can probably deafeat a 1v1 match vs Charizard or Moltres.
2- I would still choose Charizard in my 6 member pokemon team because it can learn a great variety of moves including all the "Dragon Moves" that are extremely useful and neither Moltres nor Ho-Oh can learn.
[/COLOR] :secret:

I hope that concludes everything.

hahahaha Seriously? You don't research before talking?

1) Moltres gets ancient power too, so it does mean he's not the weakest...

2) Severe damage to Charizard? LOL, even moltres 384 on HP

3)Moltres and Ho-oh gets Ancient power, while Charizard gets rockslide...

So we have a Moltres vs Charizard vs Ho-oh battle...

Well, Charizard vs Moltres, Moltres with a HP of 384, with a max Defense of 306.. With Charizard it's 293 attack, assuming Charizard doens't have STAB, Maybe, moltres can Withstand's Rock Slide, at least if it got flinch. With Zard's Defense of 280, HP of 360, with moltres's enormous 383 maximum of attack, uses ancient power, and takes the shit out of Charizard

Ho-oh vs Moltres. Moltres and Ho-oh has the same speed, but in this case, Ho-oh win with its massive Special Defense, and kill him with ancient power.

Ho-oh Charizard. Charizard is fastest than Ho-oh, but obvliously Ho-oh can withstand Charizard's Rock Slide. Charizard simply would survive...

1-Ho-oh can defeat surely in a 1v1 Charizard and Moltres.
2- Omg, fot his reason we say Charizard is overrated, is stupid. Only it gets dragon-type moves? Dude, dragon-type moves are only surperefective against one type, and if you need dragon-type cover we have tyranitar. The only useful dragontype move for Charizard is Dragon Pulse... With is not that good... Asuming that the most of dragon-type pokemon get stone edge. God, and only because it gets dragon-type move doens't do charizard the best. Charizard sucks against dragon...

Charizard is better in my opinion! Why? He's the first one in the Dex! And isn't a legendary, so I can technically have unlimited amount of them. Pretty useful in battles, too, and isn't Uber.

Are you jocking?

1)Venusaur is the first pokemon on the dex, besides, i don't think it worth as an argument.

2)Why do you need unlimited Zard?

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the rainbow bird because of the awesome backstory on the legend, and it is a Trio master. Besides, look how colorful and beautiful it is.

Ho-oh for me. It's one of the very few legendaries I actually like. It's got an absolutely amazing design, and I also like how it now has a great ability with Regenerator that fits in with its phoenix inspiration. I don't like Moltres and never have, and I neither like nor dislike Charizard lately.

Actually Moltres has Hurricane, which hits at a whopping 180 base power off a 125 Special Attack stat, more than enough to OHKO a standard Charizard with Choice Specs or a Life Orb. Additionally, you'll almost never see a Charizard running Rock Slide, as even rare physical variants don't usually have room for it either.
I guess Charizard can beat Moltres if you were running Rock Slide for whatever reason, but the point is in any given one-on-one encounter Moltres is going to come out on top 90% of the time.

Ho-oh obliterates both, neither even stand a chance.

It's also the only one of the three I like, as the rainbow phoenix has an amazing design and mythology around it, and is still one of my favourite legendaries today. Charizard and Moltres are really bland in comparison, Moltres looks like a flaming rubber chicken while Charizard is a generic dragon with awkward body proportions. I don't dislike them, but they don't do anything for me either.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom