• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Fire-themed team - Suggestions welcome. ^^

Larissa

Queen of the Orange Bread
Reaction score
Okay, this is for my fire-themed team. <3 The Pokémon shown are what I’m going to use, so don’t suggest anything else. As for Dewgong, it’s there because I’ll be playing Hoenn and I can’t get by without a Surfer in my team. Quite obviously, no Fire-type can learn Surf. xD;

Please suggest:
Items
Natures
Moves (see notes, though)

Please do not suggest:
EVs (I’m not gonna bother)
Hidden Power (this is ingame, dorks)

Other notes:
I can shark any TM I want, so don’t let that hinder suggestions.

Blaziken
Nature: Timid (+spd, -atk)
Sky Uppercut/Double Kick
Blaze Kick
Aerial Ace
Cut/Thunderpunch
Notes: Double Kick will substitute for Sky Uppercut until Blaziken reaches the level at which he’ll learn it. Cut is there for HM reasons and because I can’t get Thunderpunch until I trade him to my Emerald and get that on.

Charizard
Nature: Rash (+sp. atk, -sp. def)
Fly
Heat Wave
Outrage
Dragon Dance
Notes: I refuse to take off Fly. Feel free to suggest anything on the other three moves.

Houndoom
Nature: Modest (+sp. atk, -atk)
Solarbeam
Crunch
Flamethrower
Sunny Day
Notes: I really like this set, so please only suggest something that is REALLY good or not at all.

Camerupt
Nature: Careful (+sp. def, -sp. atk)
Earthquake
Rock Slide/Rollout
Amnesia
Strength/Rock Smash
Notes: The last slot is for HM purposes, obviously, so only suggest something for that slot that I can put it after I’ve beaten the game.

Ninetales
Nature: Calm (+sp. def, -atk)
Will-o-Wisp
Confuse Ray
Roar
Flamethrower
Notes: See Houndoom notes.

Dewgong
Nature: Modest (+sp. atk, -def) or Timid (+spd, -atk)
Surf
Ice Beam
Signal Beam
Dive/Waterfall/Rest
Notes: Last slot is for HM purposes, then Rest. Suggest anything for the third slot, because the other three are static (unless you have a Rest substitute).

Sankyuu. ^^

I would suggest Flamethrower, Fire Blast, or Overheat instead of Blaze Kick on Blaziken. Then again, you have no shortage of fire-type attacks, so it might not matter too much.

I'd probably give Charizard Flamethrower, then give it Rock Slide or Earthquake to make better use of Dragon Dance (right now the only thing that can take advantage of the attack boost is Fly.)

Go for Rock Slide on Camerupt. Otherwise, it's pretty fine (give it a fire attack after beating the game if you want to).

Everything else is pretty fine for ingame.

Tough break with Blaziken's Nature. Nature definitely suggests Thunderpunch and a Fire-type attack, likely Blaze Kick to get some fun in with a Scope Lens. Maybe Sky Uppercut, Focus Energy, Blaze Kick and Thunderpunch would interest you for a moveset? Don't forget Slash...critical hits can be fun...

Charizard...seems a tad lacking. Fly/Dragon Dance is fine...as is a Fire-ype attack...but Dragon Dance with only one attack can be more of a hindrance than a help. I could understand wanting to keep Outrage..so maybe you should just give Charizard another attack, or perhaps Sunny Day? As for other attacks...Earthquake is never bad. Iron Tail is a lesser option, but is still there. Brick Break, too...

Houndoom's fine.

It occurs to me that Camerupt could definitely do without Amnesia. I'd say get a Fire-type attack now, and ditch Amnesia. After you do that, Explosion or Sunny Day would be useful in place of Strength/Rock Smash. It doesn't have a good Nature by any means...but it can still work.

Ninetales is fine...though I have a problem with Roar. Roar's overrated, and I'd personally recommend Sunny Day or perhaps Quick Attack for a swift KO in Battle Tower, etc, where you may see Reversal/Endure Pokemon and the like with a Salac Berry.

Go with Modest Dewgong, it'll be of the most use to you. Timid is not a particularly good Nature for Dewgong, and the Modest SA boost will make Dewgong even more of a challenge for foes to overcome. Dewgong's always a little lacking for fourth move, and the -ATK Nature is tough....hm...Signal Beam will be fine, though perhaps Attract would be a better replacement. Rain Dance would get my top recommendation, though, as you'll want to negate any Sunny Day that could be hindering Surf's power.

I recommended Sunny Day quite a bit...but a constant boost to 5/6 of your team's attacks is never bad.

Please note: The thread is from 18 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom