• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

First analysis of Autumn Regional Champion released: More official analyses to be rel

Status
Not open for further replies.

BulbaBot

Dreams of electric Bulbasaur
Reaction score
First analysis of Autumn Regional Champion released: More official analyses to be released in future

Pokémon.com has just released their first official analysis of an Autumn Regional Champion's team. They plan to continue analyzing Autumn Regional Champion's in future articles.

Read more on Bulbanews

Re: First analysis of Autumn Regional Champion released: More official analyses to be

Rain team? No surprise there.

Re: First analysis of Autumn Regional Champion released: More official analyses to be

I'd like to see someone win without weather. That's what I'm currently attempting to do in April.

He's not a champion! He just used the same strategy as half the people on random matchup!

Last edited:

It's nice to see an official article focusing on the some of the more competitive aspects of Pokemon.

I saw Thundurus.
I immediately lost interest and closed the tab.

I saw Thundurus.

Thundurus is nowhere near broken in VGC 2012. If anything, it is less useful than Zapdos is on teams that do not need to take advantage of Prankster or Thundurus's higher speed stat.

Zheng is a big name in the Pokemon community. I believe Brendan Zheng is the little brother of Aaron Zheng, aka Cybertron on Smogon. Both won Juniors and Seniors VGC at DC last year

I saw Thundurus.

I just rofl'd so hard inside, especially since i almost did the same thing upon seeing swift swim on, like, 1/3-1/2 his team

I lost to a girl with allowed legendarys earlier this year in NJ, and I stayed true with my Swanna and Hydreigon :) I plan to get actually past the second round next year.....without weather and that crap :smokin:

I had to make an account just to post on this, lol.

Yes, that's my brother's team that Pokemon decided to write about. There were tons of teams that won throughout the 7 Regionals that took place that didn't include Rain / weather. Why do you think Pokemon chose my brother's team out of everyone? It's because it's simple, and even a beginner can understand the concept of the team and how it works. Rain is a very basic strategy, and obviously you guys have seen it before. For a new player, it is easy to understand and use. Had they put a team like Goodstuffs, a Junior (which I can assume this article really was written for) wouldn't understand the concept as quickly as a Rain team.

I dunno if it's me but there seems to be a very negative vibe about my brother's victory with a Rain team. I'll be honest, he probably could have won Regionals with any other team considering he 4-0'd every single one of his opponent. I still think it's a great honor for Pokemon to publish an article about our team, whether you all like it or not.

And PkmnGreen, for what it's worth, Brendan won Regionals last year, finished 2nd at Nationals, went undefeated at Worlds Swiss and beat the eventual World Champion, losing 2-1 in the Semi-Finals. Not to mention he won both the TCG and VGC portion of Regionals in 1 weekend. I think at least those accomplishments qualify him as a champion... quit hating.

And Hyper Dragon, I'll gladly get Brendan to take you on that challenge. ;)

Last edited:

Yes, that's my brother's team that Pokemon decided to write about. There were tons of teams that won throughout the 7 Regionals that took place that didn't include Rain / weather. Why do you think Pokemon chose my brother's team out of everyone? It's because it's simple, and even a beginner can understand the concept of the team and how it works. Rain is a very basic strategy, and obviously you guys have seen it before. For a new player, it is easy to understand and use. Had they put a team like Goodstuffs, a Junior (which I can assume this article really was written for) wouldn't understand the concept as quickly as a Rain team.

I dunno if it's me but there seems to be a very negative vibe about my brother's victory with a Rain team. I'll be honest, he probably could have won Regionals with any other team considering he 4-0'd every single one of his opponent. I still think it's a great honor for Pokemon to publish an article about our team, whether you all like it or not.

And PkmnGreen, for what it's worth, Brendan won Regionals last year, finished 2nd at Nationals, went undefeated at Worlds Swiss and beat the eventual World Champion, losing 2-1 in the Semi-Finals. Not to mention he won both the TCG and VGC portion of Regionals in 1 weekend. I think at least those accomplishments qualify him as a champion... quit hating.

Yeah Babbytron's a baws

well, obviously he's nothing to sneeze at, since he KO'd all his opponents 4-0 (did the article say that? dang, i've got short-term memory...), and the obvious fact that he won. Anyways, you have very valid points, Cybertron. The article was written well, and the subject matter was easily understood. My comment did come off a tad disparaging (possible understatement of the year), and I sincerely apologize if it hurt your feelings, or your brother's. Personally, i'm new to competitive play, so i guess that's where my comment came from. I personally run a sandstorm team at the moment, so i went through the frustration of, being new to the meta, finding out that my rapid spinner and main sweeper, and Excadrill, was banned to Ubers.

Congrats to the guy who won. Didn't really follow the tournament so much, but it's cool to see some competitive analyses separate from Smogon. Though it's pretty damn easy to win with a Rain team that's not completely stupid (or any weather team, for that matter), 4-0ing every single one of your opponents in a tournament is still quite impressive.

It's actually pretty dang hard to win with such a standard Rain team in Seniors/Masters because everyone has a counter to it, and I mean everyone. You can't go into a VGC 2012 tournament without a rain counter because there WILL be rain teams. (Checks for rain include Tyranitar, Abomasnow, Gastrodon, Amoonguss, Toxicroak) Most Seniors and Masters incorporate Rain into their strategy but don't focus all six Pokemon on their team with it. For example, Politoed isn't even used in most teams because it becomes dead weight after it sets up Rain, but it did work for Brendan.

Also, thanks Rockman. No hard feelings or anything, I just felt like it was necessary for people to see my thoughts on this.

It's actually pretty dang hard to win with such a standard Rain team in Seniors/Masters because everyone has a counter to it, and I mean everyone. You can't go into a VGC 2012 tournament without a rain counter because there WILL be rain teams. (Checks for rain include Tyranitar, Abomasnow, Gastrodon, Amoonguss, Toxicroak) Most Seniors and Masters incorporate Rain into their strategy but don't focus all six Pokemon on their team with it. For example, Politoed isn't even used in most teams because it becomes dead weight after it sets up Rain, but it did work for Brendan.

Also, thanks Rockman. No hard feelings or anything, I just felt like it was necessary for people to see my thoughts on this.
That's the problem I've found with Politoed. To be honest, I was expecting to maybe see Tornadus being used instead due to priority Rain Dance, which also has the advantage of not losing the rain if sent out at the same time as another weather Pokémon (you have to run a -Speed nature Politoed to have the same speed as an Adamant Tyranitar and Abomasnow is always slower).

I'm not "hatin'" I just think anyone could win with a rain team, so it doesn't really seam like a victory. It's like using ubers.

But I didn't know about the other stuff, which is impressive, so congrats!

Like I said in post 15 in the previous page, it's pretty hard to use a team consisting of Pokemon that all use Rain and do well in it in Seniors/Masters because of the amount of people that prepare for it. Going under your logic then I guess Ray Rizzo isn't really a champion because he used Ubers to win in 2010...

On another note, Joshawott, Tornadus does work but it's situational. David A. used it against me in the finals at Nationals last year in his VGC 2011 Rain oriented team, and it worked. I honestly haven't seen it used very often, rain team or not. Try it out though, it has some tricks up its sleeves! Acrobatics can be helpful for KOing Toxicroak, Ludicolo, Amoonguss, and Hitmontop which are all quite common in this metagame, along with Tailwind, Rain Dance, and priority Sub.

Anyway, I'm pretty much done posting about this. I'll gladly answer any questions about the team though!

Last edited:

I'm not "hatin'" I just think anyone could win with a rain team, so it doesn't really seam like a victory. It's like using ubers.

But I didn't know about the other stuff, which is impressive, so congrats!

Rain actually takes some skill to know how to use. You can't make a team of Politoed, Latios, Jirachi, Toxicroak, Rotom-W and Scizor and call it a day. You have to make it work. Sand is possibly the easiest weather to use due to Tyranitar being so bulky, yet so powerful that he can 2HKO most Pokemon in upper tiers with his standard set. Politoed sees a Scarf set, a Lefties set, a Specs set and occationally a CB set. It just depends on how you utilize the Pokemon around it

Have they announced any more competitions coming up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom