• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

First Best Wishes episode that 'caught' you?

Grave-E

Load of Belloni
Reaction score
We're 20 episodes in now, so I think it's safe to assume that this now applies to most people.

By 'caught', I suppose it could be the defined as 'the first episode of the series that really stood out for you'. One that thoroughly entertained or had you hooked throughout. That one with a certain 'je ne sais quoi' that you can rewatch again and again.

For me, it'd be the 5th episode. I suppose the biggest reason would be for the sheer amount of stuff going on here. It's the first Best Wishes episode to actively feature a colorful (literally and metaphorically) bunch of pokemon and types all at once, thanks to the monkey trio, as well as the introduction of the much anticipated character Dent. The battles were entertaining and, with Pokabu and Mijumaru going for the action packed and humourous angles respectively, struck a good contrast with one another. I always get a kick out of Mijumaru's reaction upon seeing Yanap, and the subsequent thrashing the grass monkey gives him before the tables are turned.

Last edited:
None yet.
That was kinda unhelpful. Though in all honesty my favourite episodes would have to be the first or 20th, or 4th, because the more we see of ash and the least we see of his friends the better.

For me, that would be BW019. For Cabernet. Cos she's totally awesome like that.

Not that the series didn't have its enjoyment value in the eighteen episodes proceeding it, but she's the first BW character I've really, truly taken a shine to.^^

For me, it was the Darmanitan episode. Yes it was a filler episode, but it showed off my favorite 5th gen Pokémon family and it showed me how Ash and friends can solve the episode's episode without interaction with Team Rocket. Plus the music when they actually meet the Darmanitan in Zen mode is something new.

i'd say it was the first, because i really like first episodes, yes, it was done before, do i care? Hell no.

but BW009 and BW017 were awesome aswell, Iris's Background and Scraggy were very entertaining xD

Bianca's debut episode. Being the only Anime episode I've watched since Candice's debut, and considering I pretty much dropped the Anime since Battle Frontier (Save a few counted Diamond and Pearl episodes), speaks for itself. I just couldn't miss her adorable antics and lovely self. I really hope she appears more. <3

I haven't really watched anything else, but... I've just lost almost all my interest, so I'll just focus on any Bianca episode and maybe Skyla's episodes. If the Elite Four gals appear, I might check that out too.

For me, that would be BW019. For Cabernet. Cos she's totally awesome like that.

Not that the series didn't have its enjoyment value in the eighteen episodes proceeding it, but she's the first BW character I've really, truly taken a shine to.^^
THIS. I was also joking that Dent was a creepy molestor of sorts, I didn't actually expect to be right. Cabernet was adorable, and it was so cool seeing a main character actually know what they're doing.

I really liked "The Rampaging Pendra! Save Kibago!!" That episode finally cemented the group as a trio for me. I had liked parts of other episodes here and there, but that was the first episode I pretty much liked all the way through.

Get rid of the boring Rocket-Dan scene and you'd have a really fantastic episode.

BW9 I guess. Most of BW has been rather average fair that's really just the same or similar to everything we've seen before in all previous arc.

I think a lot of people acting like BW is the best series ever are really just taken by the initial freshness of it, because really, excluding the TR stuff, almost everything in this saga has a similar type of episode in all previous arcs.

Personally I think most episodes, if not all of them, have really caught my attention this time around. Previously if I missed an episode of DP it didn't really bother me and I'd watch it in my own time, but with best wishes I'm finding myself getting really bothered when I miss an episode. At the moment I get annoyed at the fact that I'm at college when best wishes airs in Japan when it never used to bother me that much. That's gotta say something about it, hasn't it?

The 5th episode, for the humour and battles. Pretty much everything that Grave-E said about the episode really. The previous four never really stood out to me humour wise and if a terrible episode has a good battle within it I will defend that as a good point. So BW5 essentially provided elements that the previous episodes hadn't in my opinion.

I feel that BW9, BW13, BW17 and BW19 were better episodes, but BW5 was the one which made me think "It might be worth sticking around for this saga after all".

The 5th episode for me, mainly because it introduced my favorite Gym Leader trio and the 3 monkeys, who are my favorite Pokemon of Isshu. This episode was hilarious and it had some awesome battles. Yanappu at the end was awesome ^_^

I also really like the 9th episode because it focused on Iris and told us more of her backstory and her goal. Plus the battle in the beginning with Yanappu and Kibago was funny xP

The 11th episode also really got to me because I love Ishizumai and it was so cute of how it felt bad for hurting Yanappu and stayed by its side while it was sleeping.

Finally is episode 19 because of crazy Cabernet and the "dark" side of Dento we got to see xP

I suppose BW009, because the writers have provided Iris (who was relatively unknown at this point) a seemingly impossible purpose in which her character has to (and is very unlikely to) complete by the end of the series. As others have said, this is the first episode where these individual characters have finally been cemented as a trio.

Up until this point, I felt Iris and Cilan just tagged along with Ash, and each of them bonded with Ash in their own way, but during this episode we witnessed Iris and Cilan interacting with one another through their battle. Iris was angry that Cilan didn't hold as much of his skill back during their battle, although Cilan cannot help it (his disposition changes during battle).

The writers are portraying these individuals to be opposites - Iris, who is more attuned to nature, would pick berries to eat for dinner or create medicine from herbs in the nature - and Cilan, who is more civilized, less prone to emotional outburst, would unnecessarily produce extravagent meals in the middle of nature, yet would panic if his treasured kitchen utensils were confiscated.

Granted there were elements of episodes in previous series in the mix, especially Kibago's oddly familiar situation with mastering a Dragon-type move, or a powerful wild pokemon that requires another powerful (and disobedient) pokemon to defeat, but I'll let that slide.

Before this episode came to be, I assumed this series would be in a filler drawl and only have one or two episodes devoted to gym battles.

When first watching Best Wishes, I looked at Iris and Cilan and wondered, "Are the writers intending for these characters to sit on the sidelines for the duration of this series? I mean, with the exception of being a sommelier/waiter, Cilan is almost a carbon copy of Brock. Why should I care if the writers wish to repeat things from the original series? Should I only watch this series if Ash is doing something important?"

I am glad that the writers didn't disappoint me by presenting everything to that level. With each and every episode, Iris or Dent has something to add in (especially that one episode in the Nacrene Museum where Iris and Dent argued whether Yamask's appearance in the museum was either a wild soul raging, or something that could be proven scientifically).

There wasn't one episode I didn't dislike yet, which is very interesting. Both AG and DP episodes tend to drop down in ratings as they approached the 20th episode. BW has a lot of interesting events that will cover at least through the end of March.

Just by that alone, I feel that it is worth sticking around to the end of this series.

For me its the first one. Or was it the second? I dunno. It was the one where Ash met Trip and battled him. Plus my lovely Oshawott was introduced.

BW013 for me. Bianca is a really fun character, and her interactions with the characters was pretty fun.

BW 9, 10, 17, 19 and 20. Those episodes are great to me.

For me it was BW006. The Cilan battle finishes up nicely, the Dream Site stuff was interesting, Team Rocket aren't reduced to standing around with suitcases, and the BW trio is officially "formed" at the end.

Oh and there's another reason. Take a wild guess.
<------

Obviously BW005, for the reasons Grave-E said...and, well, blatant character bias :p

I think it's one of the best introductions for a main character. I love how Ash was trolled by Cilan and his brothers upon entering the cafe. Battles were great, a lot of energy everywhere; psh, consider me one of those fangirls :p

The beginning of the episode gave off a lot of "Ouran High School Host Club" vibes (particularly, its first episode), which isn't a bad thing at all since I think that show has a really effective narrative hook ^^

In second is BW019, simply because it reinforced my interests for Cilan.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom