• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Contest First Gym Leaders

Catspring

shsl music club member
Reaction score
VSBrock.png
VS
VSFalkner.png
VS
GBA_Trainer_Roxanne.png
VS
VSRoark.png
VS
VSDent.png
VS
VSPod.png
VS
VSCorn.png

Who's your favorite?

I like how 3/5 of them are rock trainers. I know there are 7 of them but you only face one of the "trio". So to me there's still only 5 first Gym Leaders.

My pick is Roxanne. That bitch is fine.

1) Roxanne
2) Brock
3) Falkner
4) Waiter Trio
5) Roark
While I'm here, I have to ask: why is it that everyone complains about multiple Fire/Fighting starters consecutively when THREE OF FIVE FIRST GYMS ARE ROCK CENTRIC?! I mean, doesn't that seem like a bigger deal?

I always liked Roxanne because the first time I played through Sapphire, I couldnt find a damn wild Nosepass.
I thought it was like a legendary until someone told me I had to smash rocks in the Granite Cave.

Falkner has been one of my favourite Gym Leaders for who knows how long, and Dent is....Dent. So, yeah.

While I'm here, I have to ask: why is it that everyone complains about multiple Fire/Fighting starters consecutively when THREE OF FIVE FIRST GYMS ARE ROCK CENTRIC?! I mean, doesn't that seem like a bigger deal?

Because people are whiny little bitches and their complaints are of two kinds.

1. It's the same so it sucks

2. They changed it so it sucks.

Roxanne & the Waiter Trio. I've always loved Roxanne's design.

And am I the only one who likes Corn? :(

Last edited:
1) Roxanne
2) Brock
3) Falkner
4) Waiter Trio
5) Roark
Clearly you don't know what your ranting about when fans complain about that as well.

I choose Pod

I went with Falkner and Corn, since I love blue haired guys.

Brock, Falkner, Roxanne and Roark for me. Brock has always had a nice design, and he's a cool guy in the Anime too. He's been developed pretty well in the games over the years too, and now he's pretty cool.

Falkner is just awesome for breaking the mold and having such strong wishes to prove the worth of Flying Pokémon. He also looks great.

Roxanne is the only girl, and she's very good looking. She cashes in on the teacher fetish too. :p Love her pink pantyhose and her typical teacher demeanor. She's epic and sexy.

Roark is mostly his design, which is awesome. He's a somewhat lacking character, though Platinum helped him a bit. He has serious passion for excavation and Fossils, so that helps him.

The Butlers have never appealed to me, despite having by far the best Gym idea in the entire series. However, this is about the characters, so I stay with the first 4.

Not to mention all three of them use Geodude. Roark even uses Geodude and Onix, and Roxanne picks up on the Onix fad in Emerald rematches, though hers does evolve into Steelix. Still... :/

Ultimately, people is just very selective and weird about what they complain about, so there's no point in trying to make sense out of their complaints.

Last edited:
I chose Falkner, Brock, and Corn.

Falkner, because there's no way I wouldn't choose him as one of the best.

Brock, because he never stopped getting awesome as the games went on.

Corn, because he's expy heaven.

Rock Gyms felt staple to the formula. As in, they appeared in three of the four previous generations, and the only reason it wasn't in the fourth was because of the type-spread. And you only need to beat it once.

Starters are a much bigger deal, since have always been varied when they aren't mono-type; the great thing about pokémon is that they can be unique and different. There's never been more than one Water/Steel, Grass/Ground, Water/Ground, Fire/Flying, or Grass/Poison in the five sets of starters we have. Three Fire/Fighting in a row? Exercise some imagination.

In theory, your starter will go everywhere with you (which choose it if you won't use it?), and will be with you for much longer than it takes to beat the first gym. Why would I want the same thing over and over again?

-Roxanne/Tsutsuji, because she is the only female and her final rematch team in Emerald is epic. She even gets a Kabutops!
-Roark/Hyouta because I liked his character, his obsession with fossils, the kind of relationship with his dad and also his rematch team, which I have fun defeating.
-Brock/Takeshi, because... well. I like his game self more. He seems more badass that way. I started liking him around HG/SS.
-Corn, because he seems the most innocent of the trio. And even if he was late for tea (the Plasma events), I still like him.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom